Big changes

Anything goes in here.....
tonyg

Big changes

Post by tonyg » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:45 pm

I don't know if most of you are SELOC members, so here's a cut and paste from Maidstone Sports Cars user account on there -

The following companies have been pushed out by Lotus and have had there contracts terminated.
Hangar 111
RMS
SJ Sports Cars
South west Lotus
Esprit Engineering
Allon White Sports cars
Maidstone Sports Cars
Probably more to follow!
I have been told to my face that Lotus are not interested in any Lotus apart from the Emira
To them their heritage means nothing and they want no part in looking after there past models.
I am really concerned that parts are going to be a real issue for the older models(worse than they are now)
I would be pretty pissed off if I've just bought a new Elise/Exige or Evora to be then told we are not supporting that model anymore.
They have shut the trim shop will it be the parts department next?
Now with half an engine

rawsco

Re: Big changes

Post by rawsco » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:00 pm

Saw that looks like new lotus doesn’t want anything to do with old Lotus
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Im not sure the comments about parts supply were anything other than, perhaps some axe grinding by Maidstone. I suspect what’s happened is that these businesses that are coming off the lotus approved list aren’t prepared to, or able to make the investment in the new brand shopfronts. You’d be pissed off if they said you need to stump up a quarter of a mill to maintain the franchise. Even if you want to, if you ain’t got the capital you’ll not be able to and you’ll be pissed. Greg from Hanger 111 chipped in and said as much.

Back to parts it is worrying as it’s not been a strong point recently for the heritage models, but the whole Emira launch was heritage focussed, and the recent changes to the stocking at dealers to better support and sell the heritage models was a bit opposite to action. Maybe there’s a longer term plan but it’s an odd move.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:27 am

Other manufacturers may step in to provide “pattern” parts. Which might end up better than the originals

There are tens of thousands of “heritage” models out there from the last 25 years. Most of them based around the S2 Elise core. That’s a fair demand base IMHO.

I also can see Lotus’ perspective on this. Even if I don’t like it much. As a “heritage” owner
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:41 pm

Sounds a bit Danny Bahar where the dug a whole with a JCB and buried all the M100 spares .

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:42 pm

And If so very short sighted. A current owner would be put off buying an Emira if they can’t get parts for current car, goodwill and all.

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:04 pm

ScottJ-PS wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:42 pm
And If so very short sighted. A current owner would be put off buying an Emira if they can’t get parts for current car, goodwill and all.
And what does it say to the people who are still waiting for their FE cars to be built?
Now with half an engine

woody

Post by woody » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:57 am

tonyg wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:04 pm
ScottJ-PS wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:42 pm
And what does it say to the people who are still waiting for their FE cars to be built?
Not much given they are legally obliged to hold spares for cars they've produced for 10 years. Of course supplier issues may affect part availablity at any time.

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:12 pm

tonyg wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:45 pm
The following companies have been pushed out by Lotus and have had there contracts terminated.
Is he just talking about parts supply to them?

I believe they started doing this a few years back to push all the Independants through the dealer network for parts. Think thats how everyone else (Barr presumably those on the list) have been dealing for ages?

Thats essentially how most major manufacturers distribute their official parts.

With the S1 ow 25 years old I'd imagine quite a lot of parts are no longer available through traditional channels and if you need an S2 headlight - your are f******!
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:33 pm

Lotus have flogged heritage to death. Looking at Emira paint chart its a departure , no heritage colours, all a bit 2021 bland .
the new Bahrain super showroom open, see TLF, and again no heritage or F1 on show.

I thought the launch edition Emira in blue was telling. Not BRG as that is trad. Not red as that's Ferrari. Not black & gold as that's a fag packet.

Dark

Post by Dark » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:52 pm

Anyone know why Team Dynamics stopped making the Pro Race wheels for the Elise / Exige? They were a great design and excellent value for money but seem to be out of stock everywhere. :(
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)