Anything goes in here.....
Eric K

Lotus UK Makes Agency Model Retail Switch Ahead Of Emira Deliveries

Post by Eric K » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 pm

Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow ...

scott_e

Re: Lotus UK Makes Agency Model Retail Switch Ahead Of Emira Deliveries

Post by scott_e » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:32 am

Dont know if you guys know but Laura has moved from Parks to Ferrari. Sad to see her move on, she has been fantastic. Lot of things changing at Lotus, some for the better, some not so much.

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:15 am

Any idea what any of that means?

I mean, I've read the whole article and I'm still none-the-wiser, other than the fact that dealers will be getting new signs and that there should be a dealer in Edinburgh and Aberdeen opening soon.
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 am

I "think" it's this....

Dealerships are facing a simple choice: adapt and evolve or take the risk of becoming less and less relevant.

Dealers are not oblivious to this. According to Accenture, 85% of them agree that the sales model needs to adapt quickly in order for them to survive.

Where dealers used to be the end point of a traditional linear buying journey, we see a future where they will be part of a set of inter-connected touchpoints that the customer can decide to activate at any time.

In this new sales model, dealers become ‘agents’ who act on behalf of the OEM, with sales conducted directly between the OEM and the customer – both online and in store.

The dealership’s role becomes the one of an ‘experience centre’ that adds value through in-person interactions and technologies, sales consultation, test drives, and vehicle handover, with dealers taking commission as middlemen.

In the agent model, OEMs will be able to set and maintain a more consistent pricing strategy across all sales channels, which will reduce traditional price-based competition between dealers.

This could have a significant impact on bottom lines: research from Accenture has shown that franchised dealers have been undercutting OEM-set prices by an average of 12% to avoid losing sales to competitors.

Found here...
https://www.am-online.com/opinion/2020/ ... st-opinion
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

Shug

Post by Shug » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 am

Long story short:

Traditional method - Dealer buys stock from manufacturer and then owns it as an asset, sells on that stock (often at discount to make the sale, meaning manufacturers have no concrete pricing control and we have the dealers occasionally cutting each others throats to sell cars)

Agency method - Dealer is a shopfront for manufacturer, takes a margin from sales, manufacturer has total control over model pricing.

That's as I understand.
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:05 am

Thanks gents, that makes it clearer.

Can’t imagine there was any serious discounting or undercutting going on with Lotus sales previously but it’ll be very interesting if mainstream manufacturers go that way.

Presumably that’s the Mosel Tesla use- might we see more ‘high street’ stores for more up-market marques that don’t have/need a forecourt full of used cars?
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

ClarkyBoy

Post by ClarkyBoy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:26 pm

Shug wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 am
Long story short:

Traditional method - Dealer buys stock from manufacturer and then owns it as an asset, sells on that stock (often at discount to make the sale, meaning manufacturers have no concrete pricing control and we have the dealers occasionally cutting each others throats to sell cars)

Agency method - Dealer is a shopfront for manufacturer, takes a margin from sales, manufacturer has total control over model pricing.

That's as I understand.
That's pretty much the model we have just moved to with the bike shop. less margin for us vs traditional model, but zero exposure and in our case way more flexibility / Stability.
Vanlife Sprinter
E30 318is / axle stand spec
987.2 Cayman S
[#]=///=[#] ‘88 Panda 4x4
BSA B31
MF35
Stiga Tornado
Many Bicycles