Puncture help

Anything goes in here.....
scott_e

Puncture help

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:12 am

Morning,

At the in-laws, had the car tucked away in their garage for a couple of nights. Was about to head home and spotted the rear right is flat with what looks like a paper clip extruding. I used my mobile air compressor to get it up to 20 psi and I also have spray sealant thing you get with the car to seal the tyre but have not used it yet.

My options are leave the car in the in-laws garage or use the sealant to get home and pop the car in the garage at home.

Here is where I need the help, what are my options to get a replacement tyre fitted ?

call parks ?
call a mobile tyre service ?
order a tyre online and take it to a fitter to fit ?
run it down to a kwik fit type place and get a puncture repair for now ? (paper clip thing is in the tyre groove so need a replacement tyre soon if fixable)

Fortunate I can tuck it away in the in-laws garage again and take another car home so no time pressures really.

Thanks for any help
Scott
Last edited by scott_e on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

scott_e

Re: Puncture help

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:20 am

Parks dont hold any stock, dont have any mobile services and cant recommend any mobile services. They did suggest the AA cover I get with the vehicle could be used to ship the car to them for fitting.

Ok so mobile services ?

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:32 am

Generally what I do with other cars is remove the wheel and take it to Kenway in Dundee. But to do that I would need to figure out 1 how to jack the car and 2 get the alloy off.

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:31 am

Guess the other question is, if I cannot repair or get hold of

yokohama
advan
A052
w225
profile 34
rim 17
speed 94w

What is another option ?

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:33 am

If the compressor will let you get it to 40 psi, or even 30, I'd order a replacement from Blackcircles and take it to the nearest dealer - if you order quick may only take 1-2 days?
Avon ZZS/ZZR - not sure if black circles will have or call Ronnie at Wheels Around - hes in Auchterarder or KH. He's usually got stock of Lotus sizes.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 am

Kwik fit canal street in perth happy enough to jack up the car. The stock yokos but not the A052.

Will try and take the wheel of first and take it down to them to try a punture repair.

Failing that inflate to 30 psi should give my 20 mins to get down there for a repair.

If not repairable I can order a tyre online , keep car in in-laws garage and take it down when it arrives.

I have a plan , kind of. What a pain.

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:44 am

Hi Andy, just saw your post there, thanks for the rep[ly. Massive help thanks.

Blackcircles ! great help

In a panic I dropped an SMS to Campbell looking for options (sorry if you were busy there Campbell) was a bit lost for a bit.

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:58 am

Think I am missing the tools I need to get the wheel off.

What type of jack do I need ? something with a flat surface to use the specific jack point ? I understand there is a very specific point to jack from under the car but the jack I have has a U shape contact point which is not ideal for the car contact point.

I have the alloy key but what tool is required to operate with the alloy key ?

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:21 pm

Called Ronnie at Wheelsaround, has the A052s in stock, can pop around today or tomorrow. Great service :thumbsup ,

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:22 pm

In future I need to get myself the tools for

1. jacking the car
2. to use the alloy key

Any amazon recommendations ?

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:24 pm

So I have managed 699 miles on a rear tyre before needing a replacement :(

Guess I can try and puncture repair it and have it ready as a spare for swapping out in future.

AllyY

Post by AllyY » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:37 pm

Hi Scott – sorry to hear about your tyre woes - that’s really unlucky :(

Looks like you’ve got all the info you need now, but for a local option for fitting in future - Hectyre has good rep with local members - for their experience, and care and attention - they were excellent over 2 visits for me when swapping over my rears, then fronts. They were happy to fit tyres which I sourced elsewhere.

Cheers, Ally.
57 Elise S - Magnetic Blue - (07-14)
14 Elise S CR - Daytona Blue

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:00 pm

Thanks for the post Ally :) really appreciate the response. Will take note of Hectyre for future reference. Wee bit out of my depth fixing Lotus stuff so learning as I go here. Forum is invaluable in these moments :thumbsup

Still waiting for a date/time from Ronnie but a 24h turn around is pretty good in the circumstances. Glad I am not stuck in the middle of nowhere. Its also highlighted I need more Elise related tools !

IanD

Post by IanD » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:00 pm

Glad you are sorted.

Have you seen this, useful wiki site on jacking an Elise
The seloc wifi has lots of other information

https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Jacking_points

Jacking in the middle lifts one side at a time and is an easy safe option as long as you make sure you jack is in the right place. Should be a sticker to tell you. If not sure Ronnie would mark the spot. Any jack with flat top/puck/bit of wood or a low profile trolley jack does the job.

I carry a tube of Tyreweld in all my cars, good for an emergency (and a bit longer) repair to get you mobile again or at least worth a try to see if it will seal.

I’ve never bought them but various people talk about the Silverline plug repair kit or similar
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

scott_e

Post by scott_e » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:49 pm

Thanks for the link Ian, that is really useful. I have Tyreweld and an air compressor in the car. Never used Tyreweld , was not sure how to be honest. If I was in the middle of no where that would have been the first option I think.

Assuming this is the stuff if I need more ?
https://tinyurl.com/4dckabmh