MMC Pads - Possible Last Buy

Anything goes in here.....
chopper

MMC Pads - Possible Last Buy

Post by chopper » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:27 pm

Folks

This is a heads up for anyone running MMC discs on their S1's.

You may not be aware that the MMC specific pads are no longer available from any of the usual suppliers and seem unlikely to be again

Elise Parts
Elise Shop
Hangar 111
Komo tech
Elise Spares

All have no stock, with EP stating that their last order quantity was not accepted by the manufacturer

With the limited market for these parts, it appears the manufacturer of the pads has deemed the product no longer commercially viable in the dribs and drabs in which they make them, which you can sort of understand

This has snuck up on those of us with MMC discs. The availability of the pads quietly disappearing as the last stocks were sold off, leaving users now with lightweight door stops

Cutting to the chase, because of the brown stuff on the fan, Geary at Elise Parts has offered to try and persuade the manufacturer into what could possibly be a last run of the MMC pads, if he can get enough interest from us the buyers

Geary has asked for anyone that is interested in buying pads to contact him (see the thread below)

"for those interested please email sales@eliseparts.com with a heading MMC and lets see how many we can gather"

There is a thread on SELOC with some more info and the offer from Geary's
https://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php ... 253&page=2

Having worked in manufacturing for most of my life and on a good deal of legacy products, for those less knowlegable about these things, once a manufacturer has stopped making something; very quickly the tooling will put away/binned, the expertise will be move elsewhere/evaporate and the willingness to remanufacture that something will quickly fade no matter the price

I think there is a small window of opportunity here to future proof your MMC's and then the door will close. If you are interested then, please respond to Geary. If he doesn't get the numbers, its all dead anyway

Just to say, I have no commercial interest in Eliseparts nor the pad manufacturer.

I do have a set of MMC discs and likley no way of buying pads any more and I'm shaking cages only because I'd like the opportunity to buy a couple of sets of pads myself or it will be the beginning of the end for one of the unique features of the early S1's :(

....and yes, one of the other suppliers may put in a large order with the pad manufacturer, but right now they haven't, and I can understand in todays economy, why holding expensive stock of something that sells very slowly to a niche market is not particularly appealing. So I'm not holding my breath

cheers all

chopper

Re: MMC Pads - Possible Last Buy

Post by chopper » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:56 pm

PS Anyone reading this with access to any of the SE Farcebook or WhatsApp groups.

If you have 5mins could you kindly point folk at this post

Much appreciated

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:25 pm

Chopper,

I will do that for you.

Steve.

chopper

Post by chopper » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:47 pm

Just to follow this up.

The last buy of MMC's pads was way oversubscribed and as predicted looks like EP (last man supplying) are pulling out of the business

Posted on SELOC if anyone wants a set. From some of the discussions, i don't there are many remaining

https://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=497272

" Last of the MMC pads available

As mentioned in the long SELOC tech thread

we have the last few left , 1st come 1st served.

we won't be stocking more as customs, up front payment and lead time of 3 months is too much hassle

https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/accesso ... rake-pads/

cheers
Geary "

Think the nail on the head was the tit in Germany that crashed on track then blamed the MMC pads, and was threatening court action.

Again. I've nothing to do with EP. ... I just managed to buy a set of pads and know many folk did not.