(NLC) Need a runaround

Anything goes in here.....
MLCELICES2!

(NLC) Need a runaround

Post by MLCELICES2! » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:11 am

Hi All.

My 11 year old 3 series bimmer had sudden bottom end engine failure (spun a bearing) and it wasn't economical to fix it. The cheapest was £5K for an engine with 89K miles on it from a scrappy plus the work for out/in and new clutch and all the small stuff just wasn't worth it.

On the plus side it took a while to come to this conclusion so my S1 became my daily which was great fun! But, with the change in weather and the need to drop kids off at school and nursery it's not viable to continue with the S1, so I'm unexpectedly looking for a runaround.

My first thought was to pick up a golf and the MK6 1.4 TSI GT looked like a good option (price wise about £6-7K) but the more I've researched the more I read about them having engine problems. I obviously want to avoid this for the next few years so did a google search for reliable hatchbacks and the Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport caught my eye. Lightweight, naturally aspirated and supposedly lots of fun to drive. They are no where near as common as the golf so finding it hard to even test drive one. I have bought a few cars unseen and although there were some small issues it did work ok, so I could pick one up from England.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the Swift or something similar they would suggest I have a look at?

Ideally a bit nippy between 0-60
5 doors
No more than 60K mileage
Reliable
Cheap to fix if it does break

Thanks

campbell

Re: (NLC) Need a runaround

Post by campbell » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:12 pm

Always fancied that kind of Swift!

MINI Clubman (suicide door version) a great family hatch. Superb chassis too.

Cooper adequate, Cooper S if you want actual poke.

Golf Mk5 GT too old?
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

MLCELICES2!

Post by MLCELICES2! » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:34 am

I’ll check out the mini’s!

Yeah I would go for a Mk5 as well. Seems to be the timing chain is a common issue so would be good to find one with a recent replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:48 am

Or, if not daft money to change, either factor into budget or knock it off price. Then get chain done by your own trusted workshop for peace of mind.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:56 am

My mates son (located in Edinburgh) may well be selling his Golf. If I remember correctly it is a Mk5 1.4 TSi but had a load of welding done but don't know the mileage.

If its of any interest I can give him a shout and put you in contact with him?
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

MLCELICES2!

Post by MLCELICES2! » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:00 am

campbell wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:48 am
Or, if not daft money to change, either factor into budget or knock it off price. Then get chain done by your own trusted workshop for peace of mind.
Pretty expensive (~£1000) but if the car price is right then a possibility. :thumbsup

MLCELICES2!

Post by MLCELICES2! » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:03 am

douglasgdmw wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:56 am
My mates son (located in Edinburgh) may well be selling his Golf. If I remember correctly it is a Mk5 1.4 TSi but had a load of welding done but don't know the mileage.

If its of any interest I can give him a shout and put you in contact with him?
Happy to pass my email/ number and take a look if it sounds decent! Thanks!! :D

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:57 am

Just spoken to him and he p/x the car when he got the new one.

Best of luck in your search 😉
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

MLCELICES2!

Post by MLCELICES2! » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:02 am

douglasgdmw wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:57 am
Just spoken to him and he p/x the car when he got the new one.

Best of luck in your search 😉
Thanks for asking!

I do enjoy looking for cars and there was no way the better half would have been happy with me changing cars after buying the S1 :D

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:21 pm

MLCELICES2! wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:11 am
Hi All.

My 11 year old 3 series bimmer had sudden bottom end engine failure (spun a bearing) and it wasn't economical to fix it. The cheapest was £5K for an engine with 89K miles on it from a scrappy plus the work for out/in and new clutch and all the small stuff just wasn't worth it.

On the plus side it took a while to come to this conclusion so my S1 became my daily which was great fun! But, with the change in weather and the need to drop kids off at school and nursery it's not viable to continue with the S1, so I'm unexpectedly looking for a runaround.

My first thought was to pick up a golf and the MK6 1.4 TSI GT looked like a good option (price wise about £6-7K) but the more I've researched the more I read about them having engine problems. I obviously want to avoid this for the next few years so did a google search for reliable hatchbacks and the Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport caught my eye. Lightweight, naturally aspirated and supposedly lots of fun to drive. They are no where near as common as the golf so finding it hard to even test drive one. I have bought a few cars unseen and although there were some small issues it did work ok, so I could pick one up from England.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the Swift or something similar they would suggest I have a look at?

5 doors
No more than 60K mileage
Reliable

Thanks
Might be out of budget, but we are moving our beloved Leon Cupra ST 280 on - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45403

Give me a shout if of interest :thumbsup

MLCELICES2!

Post by MLCELICES2! » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:34 am

Alistair wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:21 pm
MLCELICES2! wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:11 am
Hi All.

5 doors
No more than 60K mileage
Reliable

Thanks
Might be out of budget, but we are moving our beloved Leon Cupra ST 280 on - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45403

Give me a shout if of interest :thumbsup
Thanks, a bit more car than I need and a bit over budget as well. I work on the industrial estate those pictures were taken so would have been handy! Good luck with the sell, Cheers.

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:58 am

LOL - small world.

No worries - hope you find something soon!