Anyone got experience of lengthy car repairs?

Anything goes in here.....
Tim S

Anyone got experience of lengthy car repairs?

Post by Tim S » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:02 pm

Hi everyone – hope all well. Anyone on here got experience of car repairs (non-Lotus) taking ages?? A minicab crashed into our Corolla last March. It took the repair place till December to source the parts, but it’s still not back with us – though they’re saying they might have it finished next week. Even if the repairs are good, it will have sat outside unused for over a year, so I’m worried about brakes, tyres, the interior, hybrid battery and more being wrecked and us having an enormous bill to put them right. I’ve been trying for months to get the insurers to write our car off, but they won’t.
Would be good to know what our position is about whether we’ve grounds to reject the car when we’re told it’s ready.
Have you got knowledge/experience of similar?? It’d be good to get some advice.
Thanks
Tim

campbell

Re: Anyone got experience of lengthy car repairs?

Post by campbell » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:52 pm

Rotten luck Tim.

No experience of this. Thankfully

However in the spirit of shared problem-solving… is this via “insurance co recommended repairer”?

If so, there may be T’s & C’s that give a clue to how long you’d be expected to wait for a completed repair or demand a write-off settlement etc?

Also what “trading standards” might be laid down around this? Insurance Ombudsman worth a prod? They will expect you to have raised a complaint with insurer first I imagine.

Another shortcut - wee call to Craig Moncrieff. He has had a role in some insurance repairs I’d expect. Or will know someone who has more inside track.

Fingers crossed for a new car anyway
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Tim S

Post by Tim S » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:38 am

Thanks Campbell. Useful thoughts. Yes, it's all through the insurer's repairer. Definitions seem to be around whether the delay is 'reasonable'. To me it isn't. The insurer disagrees!

I think I'll take it to the ombudsman. Just not sure whether I should reject the car if they say it's ready, or take it and argue later...

Cheers

MLCELICES2!

Post by MLCELICES2! » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:39 am

No experience either sorry.

Can you go see the car before you take it home or it's delivered to you so you can check out the interior etc? Will the garage be putting it through its MOT prior to returning or do you need to do that. I know the MOT will only pick up basic stuff. What about getting an AA vehicle inspection done as well before taking it back.

If it all looks ok then you're nearly there getting your car back and you have some peace of mind.

I'm going through a section 75 claim to do with my car I bought from a dealer and its pain I really can't be bothered with.

Hope it all works out.

Dark

Post by Dark » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:40 pm

Is the other insurer paying for a hire car through all of this?

Usually that's enough in itself for then to write the car off and avoid the hire fees.

I agree you definitely want the car inspected by AA/RAC/etc before collecting and handing back any hire car.
2018 Lotus Exige Sport (metallic grey)
2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (rebel blue)

Tim S

Post by Tim S » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:52 pm

Thanks guys - a good shout re getting an independent inspection.

I think that our insurers are currently paying, pending them fighting it out with the others about who was at fault. But they're already >1 year of hire car - at about £75/day according to the papers we see. So that's nearly £30k before any repair costs - all for a £18k Corolla :shock:

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:42 pm

Have you tried reporting it as stolen? :-)

If there is a direct issue with the repair (e.g. the bumper that they fitted is the wrong one or cracked or whatever) then you can reject the repair.

I believe that any other damage done to the car is a new claim, not a rejection of the original repair (grey area if the new damage and old damage overlap I would think).

If Toyota have a recommended procedure for maintaining the hybrid battery whilst the car is not being driven, for example, and the repairer hasn't followed that, then you could argue they were negligent and start a new claim against them to get it repaired. I bet Toyota don't have such a procedure, though. As for the rest of it, your car could easily be parked on the street its whole life, so I don't think you will have a claim for the degradation to the bodywork/brakes/etc., assuming they have cleaned the car and test driven it. That type of damage will all be seen as wear and tear I bet - it's not something you're insured for, whether it happens outside your house or their workshop.

There probably are some grey areas - e.g. if your car had needed some new suspension component and the ABS warning light is now lit - you could probably argue that the garage broke some sensor/wire whilst fitting the new suspension.

Your best hope is that there are new dings in the bodywork - these clearly shouldn't happen when the car is with the repairer (and yet are almost inevitable if they've left the car for a year in a pound with other cars being moved around).

I think you will be on the hook for the wear and tear in the end, come what may. Your best bet is to clean up the disks and sell the car privately I think - then it becomes SEP.
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 pm

I had an Elan in for repair in the 90s after being rear ended. Typically rear lights were on back order and it was months before I got it back -within weeks the alternator had seized. Insurer wasn’t interested as it wasn’t anything to do with the repair they paid for and Lotus said it was wear and tear and they couldn’t assist.
I know it was a long time ago but I doubt anyone will be willing to pay out and you will be left to pick up any ‘lack of use’ costs. :(
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline