Nokia N95 (FALC)

Anything goes in here.....
Rich H

Nokia N95 (FALC)

Post by Rich H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:52 am

Hey all,

Knowing most of you are gadget freaks a bit of advice on the N95...

It has sat nav built in :)
You have to subscribe to use it (Cheapest £40 for 3 years or up to £4! a day) :(
You have to pay every time it downloads a map thru GPRS (on O2 that could be £3 per meg) :(
The battery lasts about 2 hours while Sat navving (If you can afford it for that long!) :(

Please just don't consider it...

HTH
Rich
1994 Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress
1980 Porsche 924 Turbo - Funky Interior Spec
2004 Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

woody

Post by woody » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:41 am

Living through the many experiences of friends with N series Nokias - i wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole :)

I used to get the best new nokia on the go habitually, but at my last upgrade/new contract orange wouldn't let me buy whatever N series was latest (73 i think) because they'd withdrawn it due to its unremitting crappyness.

I got a 6233 instead - feckall features and looks a bit crap, but it's been utterly reliable :)

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Re: Nokia N95 (FALC)

Post by DDtB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:03 am

RICHARDHUMBLE wrote:Hey all,

Knowing most of you are gadget freaks a bit of advice on the N95...

It has sat nav built in :)
You have to subscribe to use it (Cheapest £40 for 3 years or up to £4! a day) :(
You have to pay every time it downloads a map thru GPRS (on O2 that could be £3 per meg) :(
The battery lasts about 2 hours while Sat navving (If you can afford it for that long!) :(

Please just don't consider it...

HTH
Rich
Cheers for that Richard. Was in the 02 shop the other day and they were pushing it massively......

XDA Orbit it is then! :thumbsup as soon as I get the info on the new data tariffs :wink:

Dave.

simon
Site Admin

Post by simon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:24 am

Dave Hay was raving about how great it was this morning :lol:

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:31 am

I'm sure it's great for finding places in town etc, but it isn't any good as a replacement for a proper sat nav with the maps stored in it. also charging extra for it is very cheeky indeed.

Available at all Carphone warehouse stores nationwide.... :wink:

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:02 pm

I have to say having spent 24 hours in its company and scammed it out of Vodafone as a £50 upgrade (told them leaving to go to O2 and could i have that code thing i need to keep my number - guy made a bloody good effort to keep my business!)

Having done a lot of research, as with any new gadget, i found a lot of reviews of the Symbian operating system, and earlier models being slated, however one very comprehensive review written at the start of this month saying the new upgraded bug free Symbian 60 operating software is spot on - a tiny tiny bit slow, but hey to be honest not annoyingly so.

Phone size, very good given what it has onboard

5mp camera is pretty near perfect, has all the settings you might need if you have a semi clue what you are doing when it comes to settings (ISO, WHITE BALANCE etc) This review compared it side by side with a newish Sony 5mp digicam, whilst not quite as good, it was to the normal eye good enough, and plenty good enough on the highest setting to blow up to 11x18 if you so desired.

SatNav - admittedly not the easiest to set up, and you do have to pay £40 for 3 years or something dependant on network i think, but that is for voice guided directions and point of interest features. All you need to pay for is downloading of maps, which if you are sensible, you would hopefully download before leaving, and do it free over the WLAN connnection in your house it picks up so easily!

MP3 player - No idea, have an ipod that doesnt get used enough, so wont be using it either, but supports lots of formats, has a USB connector, InCar charger, awesome tiny new home charger, adapater for plugging it into TV to show video and pictures.

The screen is huge, really good quality, 500mb of memory through 50% internal phone and the other half through supplied MicroSd card which comes with a normal SD card adapter so you can plug it in at home in your card reader and save pictures as normal.

All in all the best phone I have had in ages. All of which have been Nokia and just upgraded from the 6280. i considered the W800 AND W880i, as Sony Ericsson have really pulled their finger out to make them as nearly Nokia and almost try and better it. One shot of the N95 and that was that!

Again, just my 2p!!!

Dave
:wink:

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:04 pm

How is the battery life? I've had loads of people complaining that it's sh*t? Or are we just selling sh*t batteries? (very probable!)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:15 pm

Rich,
Can you not install tomtom rather than the supplied satnav which removes the need to download.
Also if you have a wired car kit or cig charger then the power issue would go away too.
I have just upgraded to the orange SPV M700 Fab! with satnav etc
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Yes I suppose you could If it was compatible with the GPS bits, that seems to be it's main down fall that it needs to keep downloading maps, costing money and killing the batt.

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Battery seems okay, but it does say in the manual that battery life is killed when using GPS, kind of figures really. Hence why SAT NAV units have DC cables in cars, and hence why the kit comes with a car charger.

You can also use the Tom Tom software, no sure what the script is with cost but Sanjoy is using it on his N73 i think.

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Rag_It wrote:You can also use the Tom Tom software, no sure what the script is with cost but Sanjoy is using it on his N73 i think.
Oh really?

Can someone enlighten me on costs involved for satnav on an N73? (purchase and fees)

Ta! :wink:
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

VXJON
An Equal Opportunities Lover

Post by VXJON » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:20 pm

rossybee wrote:
Rag_It wrote:You can also use the Tom Tom software, no sure what the script is with cost but Sanjoy is using it on his N73 i think.
Oh really?

Can someone enlighten me on costs involved for satnav on an N73? (purchase and fees)

Ta! :wink:

(Try a Bit torrent search for the software :oops: )

Bigger memory card for the phone £25

http://www.mobymemory.com/Nokia_MMCMobi ... _Cards.asp

Gps module £40

http://www.mobymemory.com/proddetail.as ... fIII%5F002

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:01 pm

Should be able to get 40% off mem cards, will check tomorrow.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:10 am

Discouint looks like 30%. Also pm you e-mail addys for an idiots guide to cheap sat nav on the N95.... :wink:

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:35 am

Both Devices will do the job but the N series is hard on batteries

Until something else comes along.....XDA Orbit is the b*llocks of the dog

O2 can supply a SAT NAV bundle with the XDA Orbit (It is Co Pilot Live voice navigation with all the 3D UK Mapping on an SD Card)
I believe it is approx £180 for a device with a contract......but I am not up on all the latest offers
Europe and USmapping also available .....but you can probably by now procure pirate software from vendors on ebay

Some of my sales force are using Orbits with Car Kits as everyday satnav with no problems. They also run their push email on it so only have to carry one device

The beggars don't know that I can track them within a few metres anywhere in the world!!..........great fun :twisted:
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty