Thanks to Kenneth Brown Motor Engineers

The place to post personal experience of Lotus related services and retailers.
Ferg

Thanks to Kenneth Brown Motor Engineers

Post by Ferg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 pm

A mate Mike who has a very low mile S1 but is not a member of the forum asked if I could provide some visibility to some of the Lotus owners for his friend Kenny's garage. I know several people who have nothing but the highest regard for the work that Kenny does on their cars and never heard anything bad. He's an old school engineer with a vast range of experience preparing race and rally cars as well as various exotica. All complexity of work including Engines and gearboxes are in his skill set.

There is no specific offer here, other than great service at reasonable prices, especially if you turn up in a Lotus and say you got the nod from Mike. I didn't know where to put this and remain in line with the commercial rules of the forum so opted for this space. I have no affiliation with the garage.

His details are:

Kenneth Brown Motor Engineers
36 Hepburn Road
Hillington Industrial Estate
Glasgow
G52 4RT

01418 826757
Last edited by Ferg on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

philthy

Re: Kenneth Brown Motor Engineers

Post by philthy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:56 pm

I have used Kenny Brown quite a few times with various cars and can highly recommend.
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

point n squirt

Post by point n squirt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 am

Yes he put a recon eingine in my mates Fiesta RS all good work also top bloke in karting circles.
The Complete Building Solution
www.lindsayjoineryservices.co.uk

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 am

Firstly I too have used Kenny to refurb a steering rack in the past and was happy with the work and impressed with his knowledge.

However, this is just an advert so what you really need to do is make it a thanks to kenny thread and have people feedback their experience, which is what's actually happening here. I'll move the thread to the appropriate place.

Cheers,
Robin

P.S. The correct place is General, but if there's not much action on this thread it will unfortunately drift down the list. I'll talk to the mods and see if we can create a section of the forum that hosts feedback for garages, etc., without it turning into a bun fight. For now, General is where it goes. For it to be in offers there needs to be some sort of SE specific offer. This is done to prevent the forum turning into an advertising mess.
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

flyingscot68

Re: Thanks to Kenneth Brown Motor Engineers

Post by flyingscot68 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 am

I hadn't heard of Kenny Brown until Friday, one of the independent Audi garages in Glasgow reccommended him to me to set up the geometry on my A2, it's with him now.

I had a good chat with him about my Evora when I dropped the car off and he gave me some good advice. Seems a nice guy to deal with on top of everything else. :thumbsup

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 am

robin wrote:highlighted the correct place
Thanks for relocating appropriately Robin/Mods. :)

CSK_423

Post by CSK_423 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm

I used him when I had my S1 to do the geo after a rack replacement, I would also recommend.

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 am

Got the A2 back yesterday.
Geometry all done along with another unexpected repair.

Car drives better than it ever has, must've been out for quite a while. Price was £55 cheaper than getting it done at Audi and I didn't need to put four new tyres on it first that Audi were insisting I had to do. Audi guy was unable to explain exactly why I needed to put four new tyres on it first.

I will use Kenneth Brown again for sure :thumbsup

B12ANR

Post by B12ANR » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:41 pm

I have also used Kenny Browns :thumbsup

I had a full geo carried out on the Exige after fitting new rear toelinks in a panic just before my first trackday last September. Luckily i know one of the mechanics there and managed to get a last minute booking the day before the trackday! Very much appreciated indeed!

One of my brothers also had his highly tuned Supra TT setup by Kenny and he was amazed at the handling and grip afterwards. Oh, and the reduced tyre wear!

Having spoke to Kenny a few times i know he's got lots of experience of Lotus' and was keen to get involved in the cars development. So from my point of view you can't go wrong :thumbsup :thumbsup

woody

Post by woody » Tue May 27, 2014 1:13 pm

I had the car in at Kenny Browns 10 days or so for a full geo. Was very impressed by their professionalism, knowledge and ultimately of course, the results. I supplied data I though the car should be set to but Kenny took the time to understand how the car is used and recommended changes to suit. Car was ready when I was told it would be and despite some difficulties with rear hub bolts the price did not change.

Hillington East station is a few minutes walk away and 2 stops from central, so they're ideally placed for getting back to work or killing time in the city center.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:35 am

Just to resurrect this post....

I had my elise at Ken Brown's last week for it's annual service. Have to say, top level of service and a great price. Ken also picked up on a list of jobs that require attention (previous work done elsewhere requiring remedial work along with new fresh issues). Ken showed me photos of the issues and took his time to discuss it all with me. Ken is now liaising with me to come up with a plan go get the car back to full health. Great attention to detail with years of experience and very knowledgeable to boot.

Highly recommended by me. :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

ScottJ-PS

Post by ScottJ-PS » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:32 pm

Kenny also looked after my Elan M100 Turbo for over 10 years and 60,000 miles. More recently he set up the geo on the wifes MX5 to fast road spec which totally transformed the car from a "roadster" to a "sportscar" . Excellent garage .

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:12 am

Further to my previous post, Ken had my elise in over the past few weeks. This was to correct work previously done elsewhere and sort out a few new issues. Ken kept me up to date with progress and invited me in to see the car on several occasions. He would take the time to talk me through the issues, which was a great help in seeing exactly what he was talking about. The list of repairs grew as Ken found more issues on the car, but he kept in touch at every stage, discussing the best way forward to deal with things.

A few people I know and trust in the motor trade had previously told me that Ken is meticulous in the way he works on the cars. This certainly seems to be the case if the work carried out on my car is anything to go by. As well as inviting me in to see the work in progress he also took a lot of photos to show me what was being done. His customer service is very good, but more important to me, his attention to detail and workmanship is top notch. He sorted everything that I asked him to and I am now confident that the car has been fixed properly. The final gesture that he made, which was much appreciated but really not expected; a healthy discount on the labour charge - seems he felt that so many things had already been paid to get fixed (elsewhere) that it was unreasonable that I should have to pay full price again. A true gent as well as meticulous mechanic.

My elise now feels like a different car, needless to say, I am very pleased.

mik

Post by mik » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Interesting. I too have used KB in tge past - for my Impreza some years back. Hadn't though about using them for Lotus, but tbeg are certainky a lot handier for us West coasters....
2014 Evora S Sports Racer for him
2020 Audi E-Tron 55 Launch Edit for her

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am

Another big thanks to Ken and his team. Since all the work a year ago the car has had no issues. Since using Ken to look after my car it just seems to work, only needing it's annual service. It has made lotus ownership a joy again without needing regular trips to the garage. Very reassuring to know that it is being looked after properly.

I have also recently made an impulse purchase of another toy. It was cheap... Very cheap so I was anxious that there were hidden issues, so I booked it into Ken for a full inspection. Thankfully it seems to be pretty good. There is a list of issues but it's all pretty small stuff. Ken's quote to sort all these niggles is very reasonable. Looking forward to getting it back soon. Currently it's sitting there among the racing Ferarris & Porsches... always interesting stuff to see when you are in too. 8)