Questor car hire excess insurance & backpacker travel

The place to post personal experience of Lotus related services and retailers.
KevD

Questor car hire excess insurance & backpacker travel

Post by KevD » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:45 am

Bit of a travel and insurance theme going on here but thought I'd post up my positive experiences.

I used questor car hire excess insurance while we were away as Oz /NZ companies have big excesses ( £1000-£1500 is common) then charge up to £15 a day to bring the excess down to a reasonable level.

It cost me £50 for the year and covered missus as well ( as long as it was hired in my name with her as a named driver). Anyway I had a windscreen smashed by a stone in Queensland and the hire company charged me £180 to replace it. Questor sent me through a cheque for the amount within 10 days of sending them the paperwork. Surprisingly hassle free with UK call centre and clear requirements when making a claim.

We also had travel insurance through backpackertravelinsurance.com and had to make a claim after I ended up in hospital with suspected Salmonella/food poisoning. Overall it was good, a bit of hassle getting them all the details but it was roughly £800 of a claim and we didn't phone prior to getting medical help. I'd recommend them as well as they paid the hospital bill which is exactly what we got it for! Excesses were higher than normal policies but it was covering us for 11 months and for bungee jumping etc as well.