Newbie In Ayrshire

Come and introduce yourself
BiggestNizzy

Re: Newbie In Ayrshire

Post by BiggestNizzy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:14 pm

:welcome from yet another Ayrshire chap.
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

marcoos_1

Post by marcoos_1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Cheers to all for the warm welcome....and thanks also for the advice and ideas coming forward already. It's great that so many of you are close by as well. This will be a real change for me as with the other cars I've done most (if not all) the owners are down south. Makes the garage meets almost impossible....

Soooooo.............car arrived today on the transporter from Dublin. I was going to start a new thread but I'm unsure of the etiquette here....should I carry on with this thread or start something new? I was going to put some pics up....it sure does need a good clean.....inside and out. But before I start with the jetwash I think I'll start with the strimmer....that's how bad it is.....gulp!

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Slap a couple of pics in here so we can chuckle at how bad it is :wink: then probably best to start a restoration thread in 'Technical'

Look forward to seeing how you get on. :thumbsup
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

woody

Post by woody » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Scott, you're correct. Had forgotten the vvc is different.

marcoos_1

Post by marcoos_1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Ok then....just a taster.....note the undergrowth on the rear spoiler! A few observations so far....flat tyres, window missing (in door?), roof a bit crappy.....lots of mould etc but to be fair it's been sat outside for about 3years. On the plus side....aftermarket exhaust, carbon ITG induction kit, Magnecor leads and S2 suspension. Will definitely need a new interior (Exige seats?) or a full re-trim depending on what way I go. Front light covers full of water, brakes free enough to let it roll off the transporter and onto the ramp, which was a bonus. Took the battery out tonight (that's a squeeze!) so I'll order one up on Wednesday and see if she'll fire up... I did turn the engine over by hand and everything seems free enough. Windscreen cracked. Front clam not too bad, rear clam got a good few cracks around both rear arches and generally needing a fair bit of repair work if keeping (think I'm leaning toward Exige/Motorsport kit though......

Cracking little car though for what I bought it for...well chuffed with it so far.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:30 am

It's the norm at this stage that we post up "nice one!, car looks great!".... but, erm,... looks like a good project car! 8)

That looks more like silver than titanium to me - although may just be the photo / my screen.

If you are going to try to start it, I would think it would benefit from some fresh petrol. Would it also be worth taking out the spark plugs and dropping a spot of diesel in each cylinder and turning it over without the plugs connected, in order to lubricate the pistons a bit before starting it? (Something I have never done, but seen it on the TV :roll: )
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

marcoos_1

Post by marcoos_1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:06 pm

Well, it's probably the norm where I then say "thanks for the compliments etc" :lol: but somehow I don't think I'll be doing that!

It is silver (did I say titanium somewhere? probably did...). It's a straight wee car and I'm pleased that I know it's history with the one owner from 2000miles, so it's never been smashed etc. I took the plugs out last night and put some wd40 down there before I turned it over by hand. I think I'll actually just change the oil and filter before I try to fire it up. Can't do any harm. New fuel as well going in......might as well give it every chance of success!!

marcoos_1

Post by marcoos_1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:11 pm

a wee interior pic.....in need of a clean perhaps?

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:14 am

:welcome

From yet another Ayrshire inhabitant.

(Whereabouts in Ayrshire?)
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

marcoos_1

Post by marcoos_1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:32 am

Hi Pete, in Stewarton.....so not too far away at all! Not too sure where you buy your bits, but I just called Euro in Kilmarnock and they've got oil, filter and battery in stock....so hopefully I'll get it fired up today.

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:35 am

marcoos_1 wrote:Hi Pete, in Stewarton.....so not too far away at all! Not too sure where you buy your bits, but I just called Euro in Kilmarnock and they've got oil, filter and battery in stock....so hopefully I'll get it fired up today.
For Lotus specific bits Bell and Covill's mail order service is pretty good (sorry MMC) you can normally just ring them and the bits arrive in the post...
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

woody

Post by woody » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:22 am

marcoos_1 wrote:Hi Pete, in Stewarton.....so not too far away at all! Not too sure where you buy your bits, but I just called Euro in Kilmarnock and they've got oil, filter and battery in stock....so hopefully I'll get it fired up today.

I used to use Partco in kilmarnock, but they're gone now :( Abbotsinch around the corner are still great for tyres though. EliseParts are excellent & I've had good dealings with Seriously Lotus. (reminds me I forgot to add a bolt in with my clutch master cylinder order, d'oh!).

That interior looks like it'll clean up fine.

s29ttc

Post by s29ttc » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Guess you can't be far then as Stewarton isn't too large! Give us a shout sometime for a look! Did you manage to get it going?

1999 S1 Elise 111S - Fun Spec

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 - Daily Driver Spec

2004 Mitsubishi Shogun- Dog Transport Spec

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 am

Currently sitting in Stewarton (at work :( )
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

marcoos_1

Post by marcoos_1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:28 pm

no problem....welcome for a look anytime. I took the battery out then managed to get a huge pile of wet mushy leaves out the compartment underneath it (god knows how they got in there). Dried it up as best I can for now. Put new fuel in, still very slow to turn over on new battery, even after lubing the cylinders etc. Gave it a tow down my drive and it burst into life straight away, then threw the alternator belt. It sounded sweet as a nut, but didn't let it run too long.

Stripped out alternator last night, so got a new one to be collected today with a belt. Hopefully get these fitted tonight then give it another try. Oil has been drained over night with fresh oil and filter to go back in. Which genius designed a top alternator bolt that doesn't actually withdraw because it hits the heatshiled? Doh!

BiggestNizzy....it's a cracking day here....have you got your car in Stewarton today? I just drove through but didn't notice anything! Looks nice in your pic.....