The classic daily!

Come and introduce yourself
pshanks76

Re: The classic daily!

Post by pshanks76 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Welcome!

I may be able to help with the cam cover. I've just had my S2 declared a total loss after a recent bit of off-roading. I'm waiting on a valuation from my insurer but if I decide not to buy it back I may be able to take off the cam cover before it's taken to salvage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Elise S2 135r no more... Crossed to the dark side with a Boxster 981s
BMW 330D x-drive m-sport touring
Autosleeper Duetto camper

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Welcome :-)

A hard top is definitely warmer in the cold weather. I ran my S1 in all weathers for a few years. The hardtop made winter commuting just a little bit more comfortable :-)

Hobu

Post by Hobu » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:29 pm

pshanks76 wrote:Welcome!

I may be able to help with the cam cover. I've just had my S2 declared a total loss after a recent bit of off-roading. I'm waiting on a valuation from my insurer but if I decide not to buy it back I may be able to take off the cam cover before it's taken to salvage.

That would be really helpful. Gutted about your rally moment, are you planning to replace it with another S2? I field spec'd a 306 Rallye (I know, hilarious huh?) that was one of only 200 in red and one of the lowest mileage ones left so I know your pain.
Ferg wrote:Welcome :-)

A hard top is definitely warmer in the cold weather. I ran my S1 in all weathers for a few years. The hardtop made winter commuting just a little bit more comfortable :-)
Still on the look out for one but I may have to bite the bullet and get an Elise parts one. The are quite expensive and I have heard mixed reviews about them.

Thanks,

Colin.

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:35 pm

You need both parts :wink: plastic cover and the metal cam cover underneath so Paul will need your old one :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

DJ

Post by DJ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:46 pm

:welcome
'03 Elise 111S - Sold :(
'55 Boxster S - Sold :(
'08 Exige S 240PP - Sold :(
'10 Evora NA - Sold :(
'12 Cayman R :)

Cawdors1

Post by Cawdors1 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Had an S1 for a few weeks now, drive it every day in all weather....shower cap keeps the interior dry when it buckets it down....did some mods to wipers n lights, but it's no real issue in bad weather. Enjoy, best car I have ever owned for feedback and grip. Beats the hell out of my impreza in tight bends...Jon
"One Yorkshire Pudding, in a sea of Haggis"

pete
Vexatious Litigant

Post by pete » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:02 pm

That's awful.

Would they notice if the front clam was silver instead of yellow? (Asking for a friend).
'99 - '03 Titanium S1 111S.
'03 - '10 Starlight Black S2 111S
'11 - '17 S2 135R
'17 - '19 S2 Exige S+
'23 - ?? Evora

pshanks76

Post by pshanks76 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:36 am

pete wrote:

That's awful.

Would they notice if the front clam was silver instead of yellow? (Asking for a friend).
I think it's safe to say they would!
Elise S2 135r no more... Crossed to the dark side with a Boxster 981s
BMW 330D x-drive m-sport touring
Autosleeper Duetto camper

Hobu

Post by Hobu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:16 pm

Well I got the car back today and it is driving perfectly. So far so good! The windows have been adjusted so the gap is much smaller now and I doubt much rain would get in. I purchased an elemental shower cap just to be safe, it is Scotland after all. The speed sensor has been replaced and the speedo worked perfectly on the 90 mile trip home so hopefully it will work again tomorrow morning. The distributor has been covered with a water proof bag of sorts to try prevent rain from getting inside and the cam cover has been treated to a nice amount of silicon. Fingers crossed this will sort the non starting issues while I wait for my S2 cam cover to arrive. 10/10 for the service from the garage.

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:05 pm

To echo others comments, my hardtop always leaked more than the soft, it made it warmer in winter and looks good, but also sound boomier, if not louder.
Fitting the soft top centrally helps it leak less, I find a gentle pull on each side when fitting the smaller side bits of the front strip does it.

I gave up on mine as a daily after 2 years or so when a truck on the other carriageway drive through a big puddle and I got a wet face, whilst simultaneously aqua planing ;)

If you're using it during winter, get some graphite powder to lubricate the handles, they are a nightmare to defrost if they freeze solid.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:11 am

Hobu wrote:Well I got the car back today and it is driving perfectly. So far so good! The windows have been adjusted so the gap is much smaller now and I doubt much rain would get in. I purchased an elemental shower cap just to be safe, it is Scotland after all. The speed sensor has been replaced and the speedo worked perfectly on the 90 mile trip home so hopefully it will work again tomorrow morning. The distributor has been covered with a water proof bag of sorts to try prevent rain from getting inside and the cam cover has been treated to a nice amount of silicon. Fingers crossed this will sort the non starting issues while I wait for my S2 cam cover to arrive. 10/10 for the service from the garage.
Did you get a cover? I probably have one lying around in the garage ...
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

Hobu

Post by Hobu » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:46 pm

robin wrote:
Hobu wrote:Well I got the car back today and it is driving perfectly. So far so good! The windows have been adjusted so the gap is much smaller now and I doubt much rain would get in. I purchased an elemental shower cap just to be safe, it is Scotland after all. The speed sensor has been replaced and the speedo worked perfectly on the 90 mile trip home so hopefully it will work again tomorrow morning. The distributor has been covered with a water proof bag of sorts to try prevent rain from getting inside and the cam cover has been treated to a nice amount of silicon. Fingers crossed this will sort the non starting issues while I wait for my S2 cam cover to arrive. 10/10 for the service from the garage.
Did you get a cover? I probably have one lying around in the garage ...
Hi Robin,

I haven't got a cover yet but the Silicon'd cover is holding up so far. If you had one in the Garage that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Colin.