Elise hire

Come and introduce yourself
Rogan

Elise hire

Post by Rogan » Sat May 07, 2016 4:18 pm

I'm considering buying my first Lotus - and looking at the Elise. I'd like to spend a few days / week or so trying one out.

I've found a company in London than has a series 2 and a 111R for approximately 1000 pounds for the week, but with 500 pounds transportation each way.

Does anyone know of a Scottish (Glasgow) based Elise for hire? Preferably Series 2 or 3, and preferably with the touring pack (sound insulation) since I would be using the Elise over some decent distances.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

rawsco

Re: Elise hire

Post by rawsco » Sat May 07, 2016 4:42 pm

If your thinking about one and haven't driven one yet, get a test drive. You'll not need a week. 20 minutes usually does it. ;-)
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Sat May 07, 2016 5:29 pm

:withstupid
:welcome a test drive should be enough
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

TarmacTerrorist

Post by TarmacTerrorist » Sat May 07, 2016 5:58 pm

www.lotusalease.co.uk

Not quite glasgow but up the northwest coast.
If you need to go even faster, just imagine you are me.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat May 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Agree with the above!

Do you have any concerns in particular that you wish to test during a week with an Elise? There is plenty of experience on here, so some could answer your concerns.

There are probably a few owners around who would give you a pax. I am happy to offer a pax, however mine is a humble S1.

I would suggest getting along to Knockhill next weekend for the SIDC trackday, there will be loads of lotuses and pax opportunities.

Oh, and, :welcome
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sat May 07, 2016 9:04 pm

Definitely come to KH if you can - you'll find plenty of people willing to give you a pax ride; wear a pink carnation so we know who you are (though actually I might not be there :-().

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Sat May 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Seriously though, I was humming and hawing over either an E92 M3, M4 or an RS4. Accidentally went to Murrays whilst taking time out to decide whether or not to sign on the dotted line for the RS4, Brandon took me out in an exige for 15min, never went back to Audi or BMW. Had my S2 Exige 2 weeks later. Just back from a Walshy day and I'm utterly blown away by how good the car is at its limits. Even if I'm terrible. You're welcome to PAX with me at KH or have a look round the car ask questions etc. Also if your looking for a car speak to Craig Moncrieff at CMC he'll give you the lowdown check a car out for you or better yet find you a cracker.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Sun May 08, 2016 11:48 am

:welcome

Other than the normal impracticalities that arise from a 2 seater sports car and very limited boot space, there is nothing in ownership that should alarm you. If you fancy one and you are not limited by something like being 7ft tall, once you actually get in one it will be the start of a love affair. :thumbsup

There will be one of almost every variety at KH next weekend. Introduce yourself around, everyone's very friendly. :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 09, 2016 9:22 am

Being new to my 111R S2 elise which I purchased in September last year I will give my initial thoughts on the car:
it takes a week or so to get the technique for getting in and out with the roof on without looking awkward. With roof off its a caker and the roof should be off at every opportunity. I have the touring pack which makes the seats a good deal comfier, and my girlfriend has slept in the passenger seat so can't be bad. Not nearly as bumpy on the road as you would expect with the stock bilsteins, Surprisingly good mpg - averaged about 30-32mpg when just running around town and weekend, With the stock exhaust its quiet which I didn't like much but a trip to 2bular sorted that out. Now it sounds like the car it looks, If twisty roads are your thing, there is no other car you'd rather be in. Yes its small but there is room behind the seats and the boots not bad. Golf clubs are a no :( but anything smaller will work.
The Toyota engine on the 111R is very addictive if you enjoy the cam changes, but also takes some getting used to when the wheelspin only kicks in at 6000rpm (it was damp). For my first Lotus, the power is more than enough. I also looked a an M135 and S3 and drove both. The elise was in a different League.
If you have any other questions give me a PM.

Ryan
Elise 111R

Rogan

Post by Rogan » Mon May 09, 2016 11:59 am

Wow, I'm loving the responses!

There is another part to my question - it doesn't fit to purchase immediately. I will need a vehicle for a wee while and I was looking to use an Elise as the runaround.

Unfortunately I'll be away for the KH meet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next one. Thank you for the PAX offers!

Al.

Post by Al. » Mon May 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi Rogan,

I see you took me up on my suggestion to stick your head above parapet over here. Another welcome.

My son (28) is taking delivery of his 1st Lotus, an Elise s3 1.6 later this week, from Craig. Although he has sat beside me plenty he has only briefly driven mine but 2nd hand prices and insurances kept him looking at the basic models. He was concerned it wouldn't feel special enough or fast enough but a test drive in one soon blew that theory out of the window and he was raving about it afterwards. I will be able to tell you more in due course once he has it and what the feedback is.
2009 Aquamarine Evora LE 2+2 Stage 1 Exhaust, No. 13 built
2010 Aquamarine Evora 2+2 Stage 1 Exhaust,
2010 Ardent red Evora 2+0 CR box, Stage 1 + 2bular decat,

2011 Ardent Red SR lookalike Evora S 2+2 with 2013 mechanicals and some other bits. :love

Callummarshall

Post by Callummarshall » Tue May 10, 2016 9:14 am

I was in a simmilar situation 18months ago, I wanted to see if I phisically fitted in the car and could live with it. I got a 20 drive of a 1zz variant and then a 15 min pax ride in the 2zz car I bought, that was enough for me. As others have said it's addictive fun especially on a nice day and a windy road. I've not looked back since purchasing mine £for£ it has to be one of the most affordable Preformance cars on the market to buy and run.

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Tue May 10, 2016 7:35 pm

The fact that the Elise is still around in broadly the same format as it was 20 years ago is testament to the appeal and the running costs and low depreciation are a bonus that makes owning one a justifiable choice ( man maths made easy :thumbsup ) If you're in a position to do it Rogan you should go for it.
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline