Newbie - Indecisive!

Come and introduce yourself
PM26

Newbie - Indecisive!

Post by PM26 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 am

Hi folks,

Recently sold my Golf R as I’ve been looking to scratch an itch for a while and get back into something less sensible whilst I still can (although the Mrs has a sportage for those duties anyway!).

Been looking at a variety of machines, and originally quite fancied an S2 Exige or a Cayman but the more I’ve thought about it - I think I’m more in the market for the likes of an Evora. I like to go for a drive and a walk at the weekend, which usually involves wife plus dog - so an Evora is the only thing I could make work (seatbelt for the dog on the rear bench), and on the face of things it has reasonable enough economy to be a commuter too (8mile each way dualler or B road commute - nothing too exciting) and save me having to get something separate for those duties (M3 and C63 are out for this reason!). I had an S2000 as a second car previously and it didn’t even see any weekend use because it wasn’t usable by the 3 of us, so I fear a 2 seater (2+0 Evora I could probably make work by fitting a belt or something I could attach Fergus’ harness to) won’t be suitable and would just get wasted by being purely a commuter!

Is anyone local to Aberdeen that has an Evora (budget likely only extends to a pre-MY12 non-S car) that would be kind enough to let me have a look around the car?

Cheers - Phil :thumbsup

campbell

Re: Newbie - Indecisive!

Post by campbell » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 am

Welcome Phil!

I can vouch for the practicality of an Evora.

Only difference is, we put 2 kids in the back of ours rather than a dog

Couple of others here such as Lazy Donkey and Shug both using 2+2 Evoras with kids very successfully.

They are in C Scotland tho.

However we do have a few guys up your way with the good taste to run Evoras and hopefully they will make themselves known soon
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:24 am

Na sports racer....
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 am

Great name for a...dog! Funny, not the first dog I've shared a name with either. 👍 I wouldn't fit in the back of an Evora though 😂

Welcome. 👍

ed

Post by ed » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 am

:welcome

Evora FTW. :mrgreen:

Dave is selling his but unfortunately it isn't 2+2 which might rule it out on the dog front.

Good luck with the search.

:thumbsup
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:53 am

Helllo Phil and welcome to SE.

Stewart from Aberdeen, (MRVX on here) has an Evora and he would probably help you with any queries that you have got.

Steve.

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi Phil, I run a 2015 Evora S SR as daily driver (it has rear seats). A recent change in commute means it's not so happy dealing with stop start traffic and mpg has gone south but otherwise very usable and fun.
Happy to let you have a nosey round, I'm in Newburgh working in Stoneywood. Only problem may be ease of access for Ferg (the dog version) as there is not much of a gap but assume he's smaller and more agile than Ferg (human variant)... ;)
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

scott.a

Post by scott.a » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Paging mik...

mik

Post by mik » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm

It’s certainly been done before (although only as it wasn’t a planned trip!)

2014 Evora S Sports Racer for him
2020 Audi E-Tron 55 Launch Edit for her

PM26

Post by PM26 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes and responses folks!

I’m waiting to see what Dave’s plan is, but his is the one that has caught my eye! 2+0 would be fine - I can pad the shelf for him and it leaves more space (I suspect), but wouldn’t mind an inertia reel belt to clip him to (maybe the mounting points exist under the carpet?). Only thing would be upgrading come kid time if I need to use it for kid duty, not sure if the +2 would be retrofittable?

Glad to know it’s possible mik - our Fergus is a cockapoo and about 15kg so it’ll actually be pretty spacious for him by the looks of it!

Alicrozier - I’m in Balmedie so not far at all. Can I pm you my number and then possibly come and see the car some evening?

ed

Post by ed » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:35 pm

I believe +2 cant be retrofitted sadly due to the mounting points on the chassis.
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi Phil,

I had a 2+2 N/A Evora a while back. We have two dogs, one small one medium and the back seats were perfect for them.

Can't recommend the Evora enough, plus it stops you having to be Porsche owner :lol:

Best of luck with your hunt :welcome

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Welcome to SE!

As Ed says you can't retro the +2 but you can remove the seat padding from the +2 to give more room / options.

I've had my 10 plate na for 4 years and have done 20k in it... Using it daily for a year. Now sitting at 55k and still driving superbly. We use it three up (me, wife and 3 year old) weekly and its perfectly doable although it doesn't harm things if the pax is smaller than the driver.

Not a huge number of cars built between 2010 and 2013 which means there isn't a huge choice.

I'd love to tell you daves car is a total shed but he really has lavished money on it so I can't 😂
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

PM26

Post by PM26 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks again - does sound like the Evora will fit the bill!

Going to do some research as to the various model years and packs and the likes. There’s a 2010 2+2 at JCT600 Lotus with tech and sport packs and the long box and reverse camera (thought that was a premium pack item). Not my first choice of colour in ice/frost blue/white, but does have the benefit of a warranty!

Dave’s car looks awesome, but the fact I couldn’t then change it to a 2+2 actually feels like it would eventually be more prohibitive than I thought it would be!

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:42 am

This is a good page for what's in each pack, what was an option etc etc etc

https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Category:Lotus_Evora
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?