Building a K 160 Sport engine to beat a Honda...

The place to "speak geek"
captain

Re: Building a K 160 Sport engine to beat a Honda...

Post by captain » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Scuffers wrote:
captain wrote:I wasn't fishing or intending to wind anyone up so forgive me, no offence intended.

Were you involved in development of the original conversion? Who are GKN?

Like I said, all I'd heard (literally) were vague rumours and half stories so was looking for some opinions on the truth of the matter.

Cheers :)
Really?

you got as far as drive-shafts yet have no idea who I am in relation to the kits out there?

Hint, I (under the trading name Link-Up) designed and made the kits used by MSC/Brooke Kensington/etc. since 2004, it's by far the most used conversion out there, sold in 6 countries with several hundred kits shipped to date.

as for GKN http://www.gkn.com/Pages/default.aspx, they are one of the words largest powertrain/Aerospace engineering companies, (with revenues over £7Bn), they make parts for just about every car manufacture on the planet.

(Goggle clearly isn't what it used to be!)
Calm down. I haven't heard of you before and don't make a habit of searching peoples profile posts before asking an innocent question. I had hoped that a small one -model, region-specific forum may be relatively free of keyboard warriors.

I haven't read much about honda conversions and have only had an Elise for a few months. A friend of mine, whom I trust, put a duratec in his Elise because of his concerns about the Honda driveshaft issue, So I'm asking here for some more opinions/experiences.

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:06 pm

captain wrote: I had hoped that a small one -model, region-specific forum may be relatively free of keyboard warriors.
Fear not, you are in the right place. This is an ongoing 'thing' which is not typical of this forum, or frankly IMO particularly welcome despite clear respect for everyone's skills and talent involved. Not intentionally speaking on behalf of everyone but I'd like to say this place is very inclusive forum and welcome all comers with all ranges of experience, one of the reasons I love it here. That applies to everyone on this thread despite people being very passionate about the subject. Don't get turned off, this IS the place you were looking for. :thumbsup

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Woah, Ferg for First Minister :-)
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

mxvx

Post by mxvx » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:05 am

Well said ferg

istoo

Post by istoo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:40 am

don't listen to Ferg, its a Jedi mind trick! (note the current theme... premiere viewing for 00:01 tonight :)
Spot on, not everyone is of equal subject matter mechanical knowledge, me included, i do have strengths in other areas though!
S2 111s

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:50 am

You don't want this forum for any technical or geek issues regarding anything and everything... You just want Robin on speed dial! I seriously cannot get my head around how much stuff he has stored in his bonce :lol: they guy is a genius :thumbsup

If that fails CMC are pretty handy lol....

For all things non technical and for a dod of banter this forum can prove useful lol... In all seriousness this is a great community with great folk who orgainise great wee get togethers and runs, everyone I have ever met have been very welcoming and that must be most on here at one point or another :thumbsup so :welcome along!

:thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec

KingK_series

Post by KingK_series » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:28 am

captain wrote:
Scuffers wrote:
captain wrote:I wasn't fishing or intending to wind anyone up so forgive me, no offence intended.

Were you involved in development of the original conversion? Who are GKN?

Like I said, all I'd heard (literally) were vague rumours and half stories so was looking for some opinions on the truth of the matter.

Cheers :)
Really?

you got as far as drive-shafts yet have no idea who I am in relation to the kits out there?

Hint, I (under the trading name Link-Up) designed and made the kits used by MSC/Brooke Kensington/etc. since 2004, it's by far the most used conversion out there, sold in 6 countries with several hundred kits shipped to date.

as for GKN http://www.gkn.com/Pages/default.aspx, they are one of the words largest powertrain/Aerospace engineering companies, (with revenues over £7Bn), they make parts for just about every car manufacture on the planet.

(Goggle clearly isn't what it used to be!)
Calm down. I haven't heard of you before and don't make a habit of searching peoples profile posts before asking an innocent question. I had hoped that a small one -model, region-specific forum may be relatively free of keyboard warriors.

I haven't read much about honda conversions and have only had an Elise for a few months. A friend of mine, whom I trust, put a duratec in his Elise because of his concerns about the Honda driveshaft issue, So I'm asking here for some more opinions/experiences.

- There is a lot more to worry about than just drive shafts ;-
http://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/vie ... ngk_series
Last edited by KingK_series on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingK_series

Post by KingK_series » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:34 am

Stu160 wrote:Nothing yet Craig, my fault, been so busy that i haven't sent the parts down that Simon needs.

Stuart

Any time you are ready Stu

your cylinder head is a work of art and ready

my new workshop up and running, so ready to go as soon as you sort out those parts

- software programme shows the standard K16 head and stock 160 cams making well over 200bhp with the right exhaust and resonant chamber and the head that is ready, maybe as much as 220... we will see - the stock plenum and stock TB are the limiter

happy Christmas and hears to a great new year!

u63af

Post by u63af » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:06 pm

I currently have a vvc 160 engine out of an MGZR in mine and at a point where I want more power, considering Honda or upgrading K series. I am currently borrowing a friends Integra DC5 with 240 bhp and I really do not like the power delivery on the engine, it feels like a Vauxhall Nova 1.2 8 v up to 6 000 rpm and then all of a sudden the wheels light up. In an elise, due to the lower weight does it feel better low down in the revs? I like my k series at the moment as it feels quite punchy low down (think it is circa 170bhp with VVc) but I want it to be faster. Mid range torque is important to me as I do not want to have to rev the t%ts off it all the time.

I have been offered a DC5 engine needing bottom end rebuilt due to knocking bottom end, is this worth buying or is it better to buy a complete old civic type r?

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Doubt if you will hear a bad word about the K20 in an Elise, the VTEC kicking in around 4,800 to 5,800 is one of its great attributes.

The S/C improves it even more for me, but some drivers prefer the N/A version, horses for courses.

tut

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Just to close this one off, as I am so busy at work, I don't have the time to see this project through, so have decided not to proceed at this point in time.
Thought it better to confirm this , as I think there are a few people who as still interested on this thread.

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R