Building a K 160 Sport engine to beat a Honda...

The place to "speak geek"
robin
Jedi Master

Re: Building a K 160 Sport engine to beat a Honda...

Post by robin » Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Or just press the "Full Editor" button at the bottom of the Quick Reply and then press the "img" button which will insert a pair of img/img tags.

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

r10crw

Post by r10crw » Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 am

Any updates here yet??
Hairdresser at heart.

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Nothing yet Craig, my fault, been so busy that i havent sent the parts down that Simon needs.

Stuart
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

r10crw

Post by r10crw » Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Just looking forward to seeing all your lovely machining...
Hairdresser at heart.

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Any updates?
W213 All Terrain

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 pm

Sanjoy wrote:Any updates?
Not really no.
My fault, I am so very busy at work, that I have not got all the parts the I have so send ready.

I will do though.... :thumbsup

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

KingK_series

Post by KingK_series » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 am

Stu160 wrote:
Sanjoy wrote:Any updates?
Not really no.
My fault, I am so very busy at work, that I have not got all the parts the I have so send ready.

I will do though.... :thumbsup

Stu

Right in the middle of moving house too, thats house, 2 workshops and a studio...knackering.

BUT

Beautiful head with bespoke guides, spring seats, and lots of software analysis on this engine to get the most out of all done and ready for Stu.

cant post pics, because still haven't got around to buying a new keyboard, but all is coming...

KingK_series

Post by KingK_series » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:02 am

Just to add;-

the limitation is NOT the sport 160 cam, though I would never ever choose this profile were not this one off brief for Stu to build a 160 engine to retain originality and hence value on this gorgeous scandle green 160S.

the restriction is the OEM plenum runner

without that the stock plenum, and stock Lotus Sport 160 cam, in a properly built engine with an exhaust tuned for the cam and induction length would give 240BHP and 170lbft.

- which proves you have to get it all right - stuffing on a big cam, or shoving some aftermarket TBs on does not achieve the max.

Key to all of this is a tuned exhaust, which is a very delicate thing, all aftermarket exhausts are stabs in the dark, and cannot possibly work with every aftermarket cam, valve TB and airbox.

GregorFuk

Post by GregorFuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 am

Where do the bhp and torque predictions come from? Simulation software, your head?

Gourlay83

Post by Gourlay83 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:13 pm

GregorFuk wrote:Where do the bhp and torque predictions come from? Simulation software, your head?
His Arse ? :)
"Chicks dig scars and I measure mine in feet"

Ford Fiesta Zetec \m/ - Get's me erse to work spec.
Caterham R500 - The grenade powered one.

GregorFuk

Post by GregorFuk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Gourlay83 wrote:
GregorFuk wrote:Where do the bhp and torque predictions come from? Simulation software, your head?

Hey, lets keep it civil or you know how it will go.

I'm genuinely interested as the figures seem so assured and precise. I'd have expected "in the region of" or "around about", not an exact figure.

KingK_series

Post by KingK_series » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:49 pm

GregorFuk wrote:
Gourlay83 wrote:

I'm genuinely interested as the figures seem so assured and precise. I'd have expected "in the region of" or "around about", not an exact figure.

Software simulation

so for instance you programme in cam, plenum shape volume, valve sizes, runner dimensions then design an exhaust. then you go back and find out which parameter is the limiting one.

its surprisingly accurate, but much more importantly it does allow you to cut out all the trial and error to find out how to max an engine or in this case where the specification is predefined work out where the limiting element is - and perhaps what it would take to move the curves.

the software shows the limiting factor on a 160 engine is the runner, not the cam, which is a pain because its very difficult to do anything about without not using a VVC type plenum/runner system.

however if you did keep the plenum but were able to change the runner dimensions 240bhp is the result with a 160 cam, provided of course you use a properly tuned exhaust - which no one has ever done, they are all just - "use longer primaries cause that gives better torque and then connect A to B' - but that not tuned,

Tuned is precisely the right primary length, precisely the right secondry length, precisely the right tail pipe length, precisely the right dias and precisely the right collector, volumes, shapes and lengths.

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm

GregorFuk wrote:
Gourlay83 wrote:

So, ignoring the tone of phrase, basically, he's right....

Come on, we all know where this will end, pretending otherwise is just a gullible fantasy....

the best we can hope for out of this is some entertainment :thumbsup

Shug

Post by Shug » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Keep to facts, keep civil, please don't goad arguments.

The mods have indicated in the past and are very willing to simply delete posts or parts of posts, purely to keep the content in the form of facts. I would very much appreciate if we didn't have to stoop to that to keep the thread open.

It might help if KingK could post images of said simulation software screens showing the claims.

What doesn't help is flat ridicule.
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 pm

What's with all the bitchiness.. really is it nessessary? So a member is having a crack at taking on a project of building the ultimate 160ish K-series for another member at their request. I'm sure given the time Stu would have taken this on himself and I'm 90% sure if Stu was doing the build none of this tittle tattle would be taking place! Let the guy get on with the build and se how he goes, how close he can get to his predicted figures will I'm sure be shared at the end of the build so no point in bitching about speculation or what might or might not be! Stu has commissioned the work so let them get on with it and quit the childish digs, it's ruining an interesting thread! :evil:

Good luck with the build and keep the tech specs coming, all very interesting to most I'm sure! :thumbsup
Mark MacKenzie

BMW Z4 3.0si, [R14 MMK] To be Ring ready soon

Fancy Ass Merc thingy S [R4 MMK] 85% MacKenzie'd Family Spec