S2 elise - smaller rear view mirror

The place to "speak geek"
DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Re: S2 elise - smaller rear view mirror

Post by DDtB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Haven't had a rear view mirror in the S1 since it fell off years ago. The blindspot it creates is huge! If i ever feel the urge to get another, it'll be one of those wee suction ones from Halfords so I can take it off again on track etc.

martins

Post by martins » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Have had the Exige for 4.5 years and apart from the first couple of days, never found the issue of a missing rear view mirror an issue other than when reversing.

When driving it makes you use your nearside mirror more often and teaches you to look in your mirrors more often as you cannot 'check' what is behind. You always have to 'know' what is there. Becomes easy after a while.

On track is not an issue as you learn to look at the outside mirror on entry to each bend. Also you can usually 'feel/hear' a faster car up your chuff.

When reversing you just need to know what is out back before you start moving.

Go on be a devil, try without and see where you get to....

M
Exige 240 (Gone but not forgotten and will be replaced)
Mini Cooper (wife spec)
BMW dog wagon

captain

Post by captain » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:25 am

martins wrote:
Go on be a devil, try without and see where you get to....

M
:twisted:

:thumbsup

dov

Post by dov » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:33 pm

I've done about 7000 miles since last June and dont have rear view mirror fitted.
I did buy the mount and mirror for the TT which is a nicer size. Its not miniscule like the one pictured earlier but more in keeping with the curves and size of the car. What I did do and I'd recommend is fitting mirrors to the door units that come from the metro, yes the leyland one, and purchase them with the wide view angle option. Makes a great difference and not once have I looked and wished I had a rear mirror to look into,.... except to look at exiges haha.. :cheers

The door mirror glasses are about £12 a pair on ebay and are simple to fit. Cheaper than aftermarket screen fitting types inc those from ebay after you've paid for autoglass to fit your new mount. Hope this helps.

Dov
Audi "Elysium TNB500", Ardent red, black in places.
Aluminium repairs, redux bonding, riveted structures, welding, custom exhausts, composite repairs, custom big brake kits, project assist...

istoo

Post by istoo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:20 am

so conclusion is no rear view mirror! or rather if you have a faster lotus then you dont need one ;)
it will be a lot cheaper than the sector111 option. which is good but it isnt cheap.
this one http://www.sector111.com/parts/interior ... mirror.cfm

but seloc had a good article here, http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Smaller_Rear_View_Mirror
i bought a daewoo one for a few quid, but NOTE then ball and socket are really weak, be careful pulling them appart.
S2 111s

martins

Post by martins » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:46 pm

I am from Aberdeen, so always on the cheap / no cost option.

Ditch the rear view mirror and go for white van option....quickest thing on the road and only use mirrors for reversing..... :P :P :P :P

M
Mini Cooper (wife spec)
BMW dog wagon

neil

Post by neil » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:53 pm

Rear view mirror's always useful for spotting whether it's a taxi sign or a blue light on the roof of the car behind you. Can easily save you more than the cost of the mirror.
Exige V6

martins

Post by martins » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:04 pm

I am but a simple man..

If it catches up with me and stays behind it is a danger.
If it catches up and overtakes it is not.

and for either of the above the 2 wings mirrors should be sufficient.

Look at it another way. If you have 3 mirrors to check you will spend proportionally more time looking back than forward.

Simples...

M
Mini Cooper (wife spec)
BMW dog wagon