Nitron Streets

The place to "speak geek"
StiflerMR2

Nitron Streets

Post by StiflerMR2 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:27 am

Hey all,

I'm considering purchasing a set of Nitron Street Series 2 for my S1 elise:

http://www.elise-shop.com/nitron-street ... anguage=en

I currently have the S2 bilsteins fitted and tbh, they are fine for my use but they are starting to feel tired (they have been on a while). I actually like how they perform on track and I always get a little worried when things are 'adjustable' as that just means more ways for me to mess up how the car behaves! I probably do about 6-8 track days a year with the rest road driving.

I'd be grateful to hear of anyones experience regarding the NSS2's and if they feel they were a step up from billies as well as how they get on with them on track (if they bother changing settings etc!).

TIA :thumbsup

-Mark.

captain

Re: Nitron Streets

Post by captain » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 am

These are what I've got on my honda s1, they replaced a set of knackered original Koni's so i cant comment on how they compare to Billies.

Talk to Craig, he recommended them to me (and might be able to get you a better price). The added benefit for a conversion is that you can set ride height to get the rake right with the extra weight in the back.

BigD

Post by BigD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:47 am

Mark, I fitted the street series over the winter. I set the car (S2 but still had the billies on it too) to 120mm front, 125mm rear ride heights which was just slightly lower than stock. I didn't want it so low that it grounded everywhere as the front splitter already catches as it is.

Anyway the change to street series made a huge difference. On the road they were set at 20 clicks from hard (I think there's 35 in total) and this felt better than the billies, much less crashy but also more composed with much less weight shift (bodyroll) on cornering. Feels way better on the road without being harsh.

At Croft the other day which was the first chance I had to adjust them and I went 10 from hard front and rear (some suggest the rear being softer so will try that in future) and compared to the last time at croft on the billies it felt much, much better. More confidence through the high speed direction changes etc. Vast improvement I'd say. :thumbsup

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 am

Billies are refurbable. I had mine done a few years ago, and refitted made the car feel tight again. I am quite happy with them.

Have driven cars with Nitrons and don't entirely get what all the fuss is about. Also put off Nitrons by the need for an annual service on them. IIRC correctly Woody has them, did not use his car for a year and the Nitrons started to leak with the car just sitting on the driveway.

If I was looking to replace the Billies I would be looking to get some reviews on Quantams and other alternatives. I know there is a lot of love for Nitrons though, so will probably get shot down now :lol: :blackeye
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

woody

Post by woody » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:03 am

Dominic wrote:Billies are refurbable. I had mine done a few years ago, and refitted made the car feel tight again. I am quite happy with them.

Have driven cars with Nitrons and don't entirely get what all the fuss is about. Also put off Nitrons by the need for an annual service on them. IIRC correctly Woody has them, did not use his car for a year and the Nitrons started to leak with the car just sitting on the driveway.

If I was looking to replace the Billies I would be looking to get some reviews on Quantams and other alternatives. I know there is a lot of love for Nitrons though, so will probably get shot down now :lol: :blackeye

Not strictly true Dom. One started to leak after 13k of road use, rather than being on the car while laid up. Not sure if I'll refurb or go Quantum.

BigD

Post by BigD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 pm

I didn't specifically go for Nitrons, just they came up in a group buy. Would've been equally happy with quantums too but the GB was a bit cheaper.

You should try my car Dom it's much better than it was on the billies. :thumbsup On the road you maybe don't notice the big difference, although I did, it's much more composed. 8)

woody

Post by woody » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:25 pm

BigD wrote:I didn't specifically go for Nitrons, just they came up in a group buy. Would've been equally happy with quantums too but the GB was a bit cheaper.

You should try my car Dom it's much better than it was on the billies. :thumbsup On the road you maybe don't notice the big difference, although I did, it's much more composed. 8)

Dom has bilstein LSS from the 135R, they're quite a bit stiffer (certainly in feel) than the standard billies. Had them fitted on my car pre NSS.

Scuffers is, IIRC a Quantum guru.

BigD

Post by BigD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:18 pm

woody wrote:
BigD wrote:I didn't specifically go for Nitrons, just they came up in a group buy. Would've been equally happy with quantums too but the GB was a bit cheaper.

Dom has bilstein LSS from the 135R, they're quite a bit stiffer (certainly in feel) than the standard billies. Had them fitted on my car pre NSS.

Scuffers is, IIRC a Quantum guru.
Got ya, probably less of a difference on the road then. :D

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks for all the feedback chaps.

Had a quick chat with Craig as well and will most likely take a punt on the nitrons :)
Last edited by StiflerMR2 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:11 pm

my only comments are:

1) quantums don't need re-building, their service life is several years between being looked at (ie. even the very early ones sold are still not being returned for service and that's back from late 2009, ie. they last better than OEM Bilsteins and way better than Nitrons.
2) road performance wise, I would rate Quantum Zero's way above anything else, yes, I am biased, as I must have spent several hundred hours of road testing to get them right, but don't take my word for it, ask people that have them.

Yes they cost, but it's a one off cost, not a recurring one, they are made in the UK in-house by Quantum using the best material spec's and CNC's, their return rates are in single digits (and of the returns, less than half are actually at fault).

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback, my mind is not made up yet so definitely something to think about!

I'll go and have a search for some reviews on the quantums.

Thanks again!

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 pm

woody wrote:
Dominic wrote:Billies are refurbable. I had mine done a few years ago, and refitted made the car feel tight again. I am quite happy with them.

Not strictly true Dom. One started to leak after 13k of road use, rather than being on the car while laid up. Not sure if I'll refurb or go Quantum.
:thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:51 pm

I had Nitrons on the Europa and I loved how they felt when they were first fitted but they did need serviced to keep that feel & that was a bit of a fouter for me :?
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

KevD

Post by KevD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Recently got nitrons after a service at cmc spotted corroded springs and a damper well on its way out. Noticeable difference compared to old bilsteins ( which were proper old). More settled is probably the best description I can give, still not given them a serious outing but plenty of confidence in them

woody

Post by woody » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:38 pm

Scuffers wrote:my only comments are:

1) quantums don't need re-building, their service life is several years between being looked at (ie. even the very early ones sold are still not being returned for service and that's back from late 2009, ie. they last better than OEM Bilsteins and way better than Nitrons.

Yes they cost, but it's a one off cost, not a recurring one, they are made in the UK in-house by Quantum using the best material spec's and CNC's, their return rates are in single digits (and of the returns, less than half are actually at fault).
This is what's key for me and why I'll probably go Quantum.