Apple iCar

The place to "speak geek"
Mr Momo

Apple iCar

Post by Mr Momo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:12 pm

Just reading a recent article on the current development of Apple's iCar, v1 due in 2022 and the full autonomous version 4 years later.

I'm feeling really sad about this, given driving is never a chore and the relative lack of control is a relatively great thing.

What's the view from SE members ?
Emira - Volvo spec
A1 S-Line - Dennis the Menace spec

j2 lot

Re: Apple iCar

Post by j2 lot » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:07 pm

As long as there is the option for enthusiast drivers to continue to drive it's not a bad thing to take the control out of the hands of 'commuters', Let those who drive because they need too rather than want too have their autonomous cars. It should make the roads safer and predictable for everyone if the cars are driving instead of the zombies going everywhere at 45 mph
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:05 am

Absolutely, make them compulsory for the Great Unwashed and Brexit Voters, and also for the over 75 non War Veterans.

tut

c8rkh

Post by c8rkh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:20 am

I think it's sad and no doubt it is just another example of how all enjoyment of life is being swept aside by governments and big corporations.

Future generations will be born, live, and experience life in a glass liquid filled bubble. Oooh, that reminds me, haven't watched the matrix in years, where's the DVD player...

I would not trust a car, that drove itself, built by Apple - can you imagine the chaos when they did an upgrade to iOS and based the nav on their maps.... hahaha....
2001 VX220 SC - Sylvia - with Larini sports exhaust, chargecooler etc.

2018 Evora Sport 410 in Fire Red.

BiggestNizzy

Post by BiggestNizzy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:52 pm

I see car ownership dropping massively when cars ditch the driver, I can imagine it moving to either a subscription or payg model. Cars spend moat of there time doing nothing anyway. So roads will be less congested, no need for large car parks . Less road deaths. If you want to do it for fun you will have to do it at special tracks.
Sent from my ZX SPECTRUM +2A

c8rkh

Post by c8rkh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Yeah, but they'll then build houses right next to the tracks and the tw@ts that buy them houses will then complain of the noise so it'll be electric cars only and the nimby pimby mamby pamby pc brigade will have won again...

It's happening all around the UK right now apart from Knockhill as it's too darn cold, wet, misty and damp to live there :) Thank god.......

I mean jeez, it's even happening at the French circuits too, merde.....
2001 VX220 SC - Sylvia - with Larini sports exhaust, chargecooler etc.

2018 Evora Sport 410 in Fire Red.

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:17 pm

There will always be the NW of Scotland :-)
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

IanD

Post by IanD » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:06 am

BiggestNizzy wrote:I see car ownership dropping massively when cars ditch the driver, I can imagine it moving to either a subscription or payg model. Cars spend moat of there time doing nothing anyway. So roads will be less congested, no need for large car parks . Less road deaths. If you want to do it for fun you will have to do it at special tracks.
Spot on for surburbia drivers. Dont really want to pay for a car, no emotion tie and a bugger to find parking so 70% of population move to a payg, park and leave model.

Hopefully leaving less regulations and restrictions to the ones who want the pleasure of driving.
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

thinfourth

Post by thinfourth » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 pm

c8rkh wrote:I think it's sad and no doubt it is just another example of how all enjoyment of life is being swept aside by governments and big corporations.
never been on the A90 on a winter morning then

it ain't even vaguely close to enjoyable
Landrover 90 = Muddy shed spec
Fiat panda = Couldn't care less spec
Landrover ?? = Muddy shrek spec
Unimog 404S = Very slow silly offroader spec
Kubota F1900 = Snowplough spec