The place to "speak geek"
a4drk

Re: Alternative tyre options

Post by a4drk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 pm

Avon ZZR's ?

I love mine on the exige.

They are bringing out a ZZS
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-lega ... rmance/zzs

on that note - could I mix these with ZZRs on the Front ?

David
Two negatives make a positive but only in Scotland do two positives make a negative - 'Aye right.'

S2 Exige
BMW 435d M Sport - 375bhp..... and stops now (big brakes!😁)
Work Horse - Ford Transit - Full of crap spec....... 170bhp one :-)

neil

Post by neil » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:53 pm

DJ wrote:only got 2 track days and a few hundred road miles out a set of rear AD08r's on the Exige.
Was that in Scottish or South of France conditions? A few of us used them on Blistervoort and they seemed quite hard wearing - my only concern would be that they'd melt in really hot conditions. I'm pretty sure Stu had them on and didn't kill them after doing the full 3 days and he only stopped for fuel. Maybe you just got a bad batch?
The dry grip of ZZR's is far better but I found the AD08R's more fun as the car moves about a lot more. The AD08R's have also been tested to 150mph in wet autobahn conditions which would have seen us in a barrier on ZZR's.
Exige V6

DJ

Post by DJ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52 pm

Two 4 hour sessions at Knockhill. Loved the grip - was 2 secs faster a lap according to 'Harry' - but came at a high wear/melt rate. Probably my amateur track driving style rather than a poor batch...
'03 Elise 111S - Sold :(
'55 Boxster S - Sold :(
'08 Exige S 240PP - Sold :(
'10 Evora NA - Sold :(
'12 Cayman R :)

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:09 pm

I still have them on the car, so have now done

Knockhill 3 times, 2 hrs with about 80-90 miles each.
Bilsterberg 200 miles
zandvoort 2 days, 350 miles.

I like them, as Neil said, not the ultimate grip, but they allow the car to move well. Another day at Knockhill left in them yet, but they have gone off a bit, and the hairpin has taken its toll on them with all the toys switched off, I have chunks of rubber missing, but, have lasted longer than ZZR,s .

I would but again, in fact, you could use them as an all rounder, as they are very good in the wet, are nice on the road, ZZR,s are harsh and loud on the rad, and are not great on wet roads.

Haven't tried the other tyres mentioned, so can't y if they are better or worse than them.

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

BigD

Post by BigD » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:46 am

Agree with Stu, I have a set of AD08's on the Elise and have done Croft, Knockhill and bilsterburg and they're probably only half worn.

Also agree on the ultimate grip in that it's not as good as ZZR's but actually more fun and very predictable.

Also the peace of mind returning from track days knowing that if it's wet you can still drive at 80 is nice too.

I've not tried the federals either but if you are happy with them then maybe just stick with them? They sound like they already fit the bill for you.

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:25 am

BigD wrote:Agree with Stu, I have a set of AD08's on the Elise and have done Croft, Knockhill and bilsterburg and they're probably only half worn.

Also agree on the ultimate grip in that it's not as good as ZZR's but actually more fun and very predictable.

Also the peace of mind returning from track days knowing that if it's wet you can still drive at 80 is nice too.

I've not tried the federals either but if you are happy with them then maybe just stick with them? They sound like they already fit the bill for you.
So everyone agrees that the AD08's are still good in the wet. How would they compare to a set of T1R's for example?
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:32 am

Victor Meldrew wrote:
BigD wrote:Agree with Stu, I have a set of AD08's on the Elise and have done Croft, Knockhill and bilsterburg and they're probably only half worn.

So everyone agrees that the AD08's are still good in the wet. How would they compare to a set of T1R's for example?
I just went from T1R's to AD08r's on my elise - the AD08r's are far better in dry, damp and wet conditions. :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:35 am

Dominic wrote: I just went from T1R's to AD08r's on my elise - the AD08r's are far better in dry, damp and wet conditions. :thumbsup
Good enough for me
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri May 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Evening,
Has anyone compared the ZZS and the AD08R's?
Currently have one set of wheels with old advan neovas and another with old T1R's, both of which are past their best.

Cheers

Stephen
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri May 12, 2017 4:40 pm

Are ZZs available in S1 sizes?

neil

Post by neil » Fri May 12, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what fits the S1 but you'll get the list of sizes here - http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-lega ... rmance/zzs
I think Eds the first on here to try the ZZS so should have done decent feedback after frolic - http://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/vie ... =2&t=43043
Exige V6

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Fri May 12, 2017 4:49 pm

neil wrote:I'm not sure what fits the S1 but you'll get the list of sizes here - http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-lega ... rmance/zzs
I think Eds the first on here to try the ZZS so should have done decent feedback after frolic - http://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/vie ... =2&t=43043
You beat me to it Neil :D

Steve.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri May 12, 2017 4:51 pm

S1 size is 225/45R16 TBC

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Fri May 12, 2017 7:30 pm

I was going to call Ronnie about them in a few weeks but if anyone is calling sooner about the zzs... feel free to share an update ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

van cleef

Post by van cleef » Fri May 12, 2017 7:46 pm

I'd certainly be curious about the zzs as my tyres will need changing at some point this year.