Heatproof material on the bulkhead

The place to "speak geek"
Stephen

Re: Heatproof material on the bulkhead

Post by Stephen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:20 pm

I believe you but I had no problems.
The main problem I have had with the alternator is it rusting solid. Folk keep blaming the heat but I'm convinced it's the Scottish rain!
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 pm

Not about gains. Simply access and maintainability. Your car is a lemon.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi Dave, you are half right. If you fit the S2 manifold you must also fit not only the S2 nimbus heat shield that bolts to the manifold but also the wee alloy heatshield that bolts to the head and sits behind the alternator. Of course if you fitted all of those and still went through alternators, I have no clue why ... maybe the S2 positions the alternator a little differently?
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 pm

scott.a wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am

Ive got a heatshield on the bulkhead that i fabricated out of some Aluminium heat shield we had lying about the garage bolted to the bulkhead. undecided whether i was going to leave that off or not as ive heard the technofibre stuff is good enough for the job.
If you've gone to the effort of making one, may as well keep it fitted if you can ...
Access wise i was hoping that if i just removed the boot lid i could get enough access but its sounding more and more like a clam off job. Im definitely not taking the engine out though!
Well it might be easier to fit than the normal stuff because you don't have to fit it in a single large piece. You might well be able to get it in there with the clam on.

But making somebody else fit it would be more fun, if more expensive ;-)

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

scott.a

Post by scott.a » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:02 pm

robin wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 pm
scott.a wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am

Ive got a heatshield on the bulkhead that i fabricated out of some Aluminium heat shield we had lying about the garage bolted to the bulkhead. undecided whether i was going to leave that off or not as ive heard the technofibre stuff is good enough for the job.
If you've gone to the effort of making one, may as well keep it fitted if you can ...
Access wise i was hoping that if i just removed the boot lid i could get enough access but its sounding more and more like a clam off job. Im definitely not taking the engine out though!
Well it might be easier to fit than the normal stuff because you don't have to fit it in a single large piece. You might well be able to get it in there with the clam on.

But making somebody else fit it would be more fun, if more expensive ;-)

Cheers,
Robin
Craig said he'd do it but....errm...how hard can it be as they say...lol

Crag also said in the next breath - give it a go...If you F*** it up then phone us and we'll do it! :lol: