Heatproof material on the bulkhead

The place to "speak geek"
scott.a

Heatproof material on the bulkhead

Post by scott.a » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 am

Got this to do as a winter job on the S1. Ive bought the technofibra from Elise shop for the job.

Has anyone done this with the rear clam in situ? Or should I stop messing about and just remove the clam for the job?

Stephen

Re: Heatproof material on the bulkhead

Post by Stephen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am

It will be tricky with the engine in place
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

scott.a

Post by scott.a » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am
It will be tricky with the engine in place
:cry:

I aint taking the engine out! Will need to struggle on with it and see how the job goes.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm

I would think it would be a lot easier with the clam off... however, if you have not previously had the rear clam off, that can be quite a time consuming process. You will likely need a dremmel, grinder and circa 8 hours. You will also probable need a supply of new rivnuts. You will likely find that the exhaust / cat heat shields will also require replacing / refurbished to some extent. However, having the clam off will give you a good opportunity to inspect a lot of difficult to access areas, and carry out fixes where required.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:15 pm

As Dom says. With the clam off there are lots of other things you can do at the same time.

scott.a

Post by scott.a » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Ive not had the clam off myself..But someone has recently and replaced all the nuts with stainless. I took the front clam off to do the radiator. It came off without too much hassle. Ive been under the car a fair bit as i service it myself the heatsheilds on the exhaust are not too bad from what i can see. with the clam off though it might tell a different story.

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:23 pm

You could look at removing the exhaust manifold. This would give you much better access. The clam coming off will allow you to drop a full width piece of heat protection down the back of the engine.

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 pm

The gap between the manifold and the bulk head is next to nothing; even with the heatshield removed there is almost no clearance.

I see you're using self adhesive heatshield - that's a bit thinner than the standard foamy stuff the S1 uses, so maybe it will be a bit easier, but when I replaced that lining on an S1 it was hard to fit even with the engine removed!

Are you planning on throwing away the S1 manifold heatshield and just relying on the new stuff? If not you'll have to provide the mounting studs for the heatshield (or more likely, fabricate a new heatshield out of this same material and then find a way to mount it.

Good luck!
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:04 pm

I have manifold and alternator heat shield templates for nimbus if you are planning to make some.

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Go S2 manifold and downpipe while you are in there
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:27 am

With the nimbus aka technofibra stuff I don't actually think you even really need a manifold heatshield for the bulkhead; though you may want to use a double layer of technofibra stuff in the zone of the manifold, with some alu tape along the edges to prevent it peeling off/getting water ingress between the layers.

I think you do need the alternator heatshield though, otherwise the regulator pack fries.

Campbell, watch the video on the elise shop page on technofibra. It's terribly filmed, but it shows them heating a manifold pipe to red/white hot touching (or maybe nearly touching) a sheet of technofibra, with the temp on the far side remaining at ambient.

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

scott.a

Post by scott.a » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am

robin wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:27 am
With the nimbus aka technofibra stuff I don't actually think you even really need a manifold heatshield for the bulkhead; though you may want to use a double layer of technofibra stuff in the zone of the manifold, with some alu tape along the edges to prevent it peeling off/getting water ingress between the layers.

I think you do need the alternator heatshield though, otherwise the regulator pack fries.

Campbell, watch the video on the elise shop page on technofibra. It's terribly filmed, but it shows them heating a manifold pipe to red/white hot touching (or maybe nearly touching) a sheet of technofibra, with the temp on the far side remaining at ambient.

Cheers,
Robin
Ive gone through 3 alternators on it - kept frying them on-track. After fitting the third one i fabricated some ducting to the alternator from the side scoop and it has done around 10 trackdays since then and seems fine...Ive just jinxed that now though havent I :?

Ive got a heatshield on the bulkhead that i fabricated out of some Aluminium heat shield we had lying about the garage bolted to the bulkhead. undecided whether i was going to leave that off or not as ive heard the technofibre stuff is good enough for the job.

Access wise i was hoping that if i just removed the boot lid i could get enough access but its sounding more and more like a clam off job. Im definitely not taking the engine out though!

ITs going to CMC tomorrow for front ARB bushes - ill have a chat with him about doing the job...Which will undoubtably end in scope creep....such as ...another job id like to do are the gear linkage cables as one of them has split the outer cover so is probably just a matter of time until it goes..

scott.a

Post by scott.a » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am

campbell wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:55 pm
Go S2 manifold and downpipe while you are in there Image
Shhh you...lol :D

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm

That's a maintenance enhancement not a performance upgrade btw
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 pm

I wouldn’t go near an S2 manifold on the s1.

I fitted one when I had the K and it was at that point I started frying alternators ... not to mention the paint damage to the boot lid from the heat too.

I know others have had similar problems too. May be a series of coincidences, but any ‘gains’ aren’t worth the gamble imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk