S1 lights LED Headlights and driving lights?

The place to "speak geek"
Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Re: S1 lights LED Headlights and driving lights?

Post by Victor Meldrew » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:58 pm

Drove up to Aberdeen in the dark two weeks ago. Must say they are amazing on dual carriageway on full beam. Ultra crisp.
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

les

Post by les » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Holy thread revival :) - whats the verdict on the pmnparts lights a year on (albeit a stay at home year)? Having had the elise on the road for the last 3 weeks, finally completing the engine work started back in 2013, on the way back from the mapping session a stone hit the glass light lens and sadly I need a replacement of some sort. As the originals aren’t available and the elise parts reproduction are a) more expensive and b) not offering any advantage c) out of stock. Are the pmn lights the preferred choice to beggars can’t be choosers... Also was there any option for the driving lights, LED bulbs?

Cheers

Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:48 pm

les wrote:Holy thread revival :) - whats the verdict on the pmnparts lights a year on (albeit a stay at home year)? Having had the elise on the road for the last 3 weeks, finally completing the engine work started back in 2013, on the way back from the mapping session a stone hit the glass light lens and sadly I need a replacement of some sort. As the originals aren’t available and the elise parts reproduction are a) more expensive and b) not offering any advantage c) out of stock. Are the pmn lights the preferred choice to beggars can’t be choosers... Also was there any option for the driving lights, LED bulbs?

Cheers
They are amazing.

However...

One of the things Vicky failed her MOT on was for incorrect light pattern... hopefully it was just an MOT inspector having a bad day... they passed the last time round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:29 pm

A lot of the replacements use Chinese LED units that are designed to replace the headlight on a Harley Davidson, and... something I don't fully understand about the difference between motorcycle headlights and car headlights is missing from them (could just be a rating or something?), but it doesn't seem to get mentioned too often in the threads about the upgrades, just as no washers on HID kits wasn't mentioned too often.
Not until you stick it in for an MOT and it fails...

There was a guy on the Facebook S1 Elise group selling 3D printed brackets to hold slightly smaller (standard halogen though so no immediate advantage brightness wise, might be plastic backed though, since the originals usually rust through, not sure!)
£100 a pair:
https://www.facebook.com/LightandSimple ... 3141466957

Personally, I'd think about showing it to a tester prior to fitment either way.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:34 pm

To add to the above, note that the facebook one, the photo with the grey car, they have painted the black rings with white paint. They are visible around the headlight (see photo with grey car) there is a white band around the headlight. Can't tell if headlights are convex lenses like the Elise ones or not.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

les

Post by les » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:07 pm

I’ve ordered a set (the last set) of the chrome ones from pmnparts which should arrive tomorrow, will let you know how it goes. As the glass lens is smashed it will not pass its MOT next year anyway so will take a change and try in the meanwhile source a replacement 2nd hand part. The brackets on the original lights aren’t in bad condition for 25 years so will clean them up and qrust them to stop any further rusting.

chrisdb

Post by chrisdb » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:21 pm

My PNM lights just went through MOT again fine yesterday.

I believe Eliseparts have a new light set which is closer to an OEM look, but I still think the LED ones are the best option if you actually want to drive at night or at dusk.