Exige S2 flat battery

The place to "speak geek"
Stevoraith

Exige S2 flat battery

Post by Stevoraith » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:19 pm

Tucked the S2 Exige away before winter with the trickle charger on..... but I assume the croc clips have jumped off the battery terminals as battery is now so flat that the immobiliser light is not even on anymore.

I have another charger so plan is to remove the front access panel and charge up from the terminals under there but is there anything I need to be aware of if I’m doing that?

Will I have issues with the alarm either when I take the panel off or when I start charging again?
Or anything else I haven’t thought of?

Cheers.
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

Stevoraith

Re: Exige S2 flat battery

Post by Stevoraith » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Just to updtae this in case anyone searches in the future....

Took the front panel off and tried to charge from the posts under there but couldn't get it going, even with a jumper pack.

Was left with no other option but to attempt to *ahem* 'gain access' to the car and pop the engine cover. Unfortunately it was surprisingly easy.

Seems like a loose negative battery terminal was the problem- tightened that back up, got it going with the jumper pack and after leaving on the trickle charger for a while the battery seems to be none the worse for being flat for so long.
VX220 2.2 - Gone

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:07 pm

That's bad luck! Still good that the battery survived. Was it actually flat or was it the loose terminal?
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:09 pm

Battery was flat.
Battery was replaced last spring, I wonder if the terminal wasn’t put on tightly enough (there’s also a battery isolator on the negative terminal) and the act of attaching the trickle charger has disturbed it enough so that it wasn’t making contact and therefor not charging.

Of course the loose terminal could be a red herring and it was simply the croc clips had popped off.

I really should put the charger cable with the ring terminals on the battery....
VX220 2.2 - Gone

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Actually, that’s nonsense isn’t it? If the negative terminal was knocked of when attaching the charger the alarm wouldn’t have been able to be set and the battery would be fine after. That’s how the isolator switch which is fitted works and the battery was fine after being stored in a lock up with no power for months with the isolator unscrewed.

It must have just been that the charger clips jumped off.

Although that doesn’t explain why I couldn’t charge it from the front charging points :?

I might just blame Kenny. I put it away in October nice and clean and under the cover. He came home in December, started it fine, used it for a track day and put it away filthy and not charging properly :wink:
VX220 2.2 - Gone

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:06 am

Now the truth comes out 🤣🤣

Anyway, back up and running which is what matters!
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut