Replacement of clutch master cylinder on S1

The place to "speak geek"
les

Replacement of clutch master cylinder on S1

Post by les » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:58 am

Last weekend /(10m from my house) the clutch hydraulics failed on the S1. Both the master cylinder and slave need replaced. I’m having issues removing the master cylinder, mainly due to access. Is there a specific method (or recommend tool) to be able to remove the two retaining nuts securing he master cylinder in place? My swan neck ring spanner’s aren’t deep enough to clear the pedal box, and can only get my wrench in but there isn’t enough clearance to rotate the wrench due to the pedals.

Cheers

Les

woody

Re: Replacement of clutch master cylinder on S1

Post by woody » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:52 am

Hi Les, it's been a few years so I can't remember all the details; can you not get access with a couple of long extension pieces between the socket and ratchet? Not sure if I used a wobbly socket to get access either. Sorry I can't be of more help, bit I do remember re-fitting the nuts and washers being even trickier. I'm assuming the pedal box is fully assembled with master cylinders and then fitted to the car during new assembly.

les

Post by les » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Thanks Woody, will try a wobble socket and see if thats enough to change the angle of attack. Had originally thought that a couple of extension pieces would give me access but it just ended fouling on the back of the dash and/or pedals. Yeah looks like it’s installed before the pedal box is fitted.

woody

Post by woody » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Further thoughts; could drill out the threads in the MC and use a nut & bolt with washers. Don't think there's a clearance issue. Someone on the inside with a spanner and someone on the outside with a ratchet & socket.