Which V6 Brake Pads?

The place to "speak geek"
C7Steve

Re: Which V6 Brake Pads?

Post by C7Steve » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:39 am

Report back after the Oulton and Cadwell double header.

Oulton was very wet and greasy with lots of leaves lying at ‘Druid’s’ and I could not use the brakes to their full potential as the tyres would start to slide due to the track conditions. Tyres were brand new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. I had driven from Aberdeen down to the tracks.

Cadwell Park was damp to start with and the track soon started to dry out. After the long straight to ‘Park’ corner, it took me a while to have confidence to push out the braking point each lap, but when I did, the brakes were epic. Going into the mountain section was also good, with the brakes performing really well too, just after the bridge. I just needed time to get my brain to process the stopping power and the additional speed which the brakes allow me to carry into the corner. I could have braked a little later too and trail braked into the corner, but I will build up to that. The speed was quick enough for me on my first visit to Cadwell Park. It’s an epic circuit.

Steve.

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:01 am

Hey Steve

Yup Cup2s on the 311 was a case of forcibly understeering the car for the first few laps to get it to turn in and brake properly, and then by that stage I'd usually slid about enough for the rears to work!

Having said that not sure it would have made much difference at Oulton given the weather.

Brake pads - Performance Friction all the way. Astoundingly good in the 311.

Stay away from the Ferodo rubbish that Lotus use, they can't handle the heat and caused discs to warp on both Exige and 311.

Might find the new Michelin PS4 is a good option for the car outside of the summer months tyre wise, if they make Exige sizes.

If just bought some Sottozeros for the GT-R!
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:19 am

Andy,

Got some Pagid Rsl29 endurance pads and they seem good. It’s the driver who’s the weak point. :damnfunny

I did look last night to see if Michelin do the PS4s in Exige sizes, but they don’t.

Cup 2s are good in the dry and I love it when they slide on a wet track day. Not looking for ultimate grip, just big smiles. :D

If it’s going to be forecasted for very wet weather for the 2021 British Quadruple, then I might fit PS4 over the Cup 2.

Steve.

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:14 pm

Glad you enjoyed it - and the brakes - Steve
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:11 pm

campbell wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:14 pm
Glad you enjoyed it - and the brakes - Steve Image
Thanks Campbell, we all had a great time. :thumbsup

Steve.

BigD

Post by BigD » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:06 am

The cup 2 fronts are hilarious for the first 2 laps. Even on the road you’ve got to watch as they don’t work for a while after starting off.

The endurance spec ferodo DS1.11’s were excellent and lasted ages too but I never liked the 2500’s (the standard ones Lotus use).

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:36 am

BigD wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:06 am
The cup 2 fronts are hilarious for the first 2 laps. Even on the road you’ve got to watch as they don’t work for a while after starting off.

The endurance spec ferodo DS1.11’s were excellent and lasted ages too but I never liked the 2500’s (the standard ones Lotus use).

We all were struggling at Oulton in the wet with Cup 2 tyres. I was happy enough with them though, as it kept the speed reasonable and it was great fun sliding about. At the first chicane exit where the car was sliding, I just slowed down a bit to keep it smooth (Ali C stylee :D) or pushed the car a little to encourage any sliding. The second chicane was the same. My bollocks and talent are not big enough for pushing on at ‘Druid’s’ in the wet. After lunchtime when there was a huge gust of wind which nearly had the ‘Kinger Lounge’ flying away like a kite, there was a lot of leaves blown off of the surrounding trees and the whole corner at ‘Druid’s’ was completely covered with wet and greasy leaves. I just left Mike to clear a path as he was flying. PS4 tyres could be a good shout for next years British Quadruple Header, or as Andy G called it, “Freezing Frolic”. :lol:

Have you got a replacement for the Exige yet?

Steve.

Ps. Missed your flybys this trip.

:damnfunny