Elise S3 supercharger boost leak - repair/replace/upgrade

The place to "speak geek"
Bobby

Elise S3 supercharger boost leak - repair/replace/upgrade

Post by Bobby » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:22 pm

I wonder if anyone has had a similar issue or has an ideas other than new OEM supercharger?

I've been in the process getting the RRR Engineering ~300hp upgrade kit, which includes revised SC pulley. We got all the fitting done, but was down on power on the dyno. Smoke test revealed a boost leak from the SC, which seems to be pretty terminal. Also looks like the belt is slipping, but we'll gloss over that saga...

Leak appears on the opposite side of the pulleys, near where the chargecooler pipes enter through a silver plate, which looks pressed into the black casing of the SC; the leak is from the join between this plate and the casing. Can only assume this is the chamber for the SC-side of the cooling circuit.

Doesn't look like any way to get it apart and re-seal, although I could be wrong. Anyone know if this could be disassembled, serviced and fixed and/or anyone capable of doing it?

Failing a fix, the OEM SC costs a bomb, so would also appreciate any ideas for alternatives that may either be cheaper (refurbed, secondhand, etc.) or better (i.e. good upgrades)

Any straw clutched at before getting a second mortgage for a new Lotus OEM part!
"Bug" 2015 Elise 220 Cup, Toxic Green (2bular)
2009 Audi S3 (Milltek, MTM, VW Racing), Velvet Purple
Previously: 2004 Elise 111S, Aubergine Purple

robin
Jedi Master

Re: Elise S3 supercharger boost leak - repair/replace/upgrade

Post by robin » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:08 pm

I am afraid I don't have any input on alternate charger. Given the tight integration with the intake and alternator I would be surprised if there are other generic chargers that work. For sure the hangar111 etc of this world would sell them if they did exist.

I would be tempted to dismantle and see about a repair. Even if it required a bit a machining/fabrication of a seal it would probably be 20% of the cost of a new charger.

But also you would need to know why it failed. If you remapped for more boost,.maybe you have gone too far?
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut