k series rebuild or honda

The place to "speak geek"
EliseS1_Willy_G

k series rebuild or honda

Post by EliseS1_Willy_G » Sat May 14, 2022 2:10 pm

just looking for some advice from the se experts

I have a s1 elise with 96K miles and it looks to me that the head gasket has gone. Coolant has been leaking and I plus automec plus Craig couldn't find a leak. There is mayo on dipstick and filler cap

The head was changed at 45k miles and a sabre heads ported head was fitted, so it's not the first time it's been apart.

qn 1. Can anyone recommend someone close to Glasgow who could rebuild the engine- my thoughts are rebuild rather than just head gasket. automec have said they wouldn't take it on as they can't guarantee it won't through the gasket again. Ideally I want to keep the ported head and even add throttle bodies cams etc.

or

qn2 I have been toying with a honda swop, but would ideally like to try a car first. Is there anyone local who would be willing to take me out in there's?

I am reasonably handy with the spanners but just do not have the time to strip myself.

All help thoughts suggestions etc appreciated

G

philthy

Re: k series rebuild or honda

Post by philthy » Sat May 14, 2022 6:52 pm

My 2p would be get a rebuilt bottom end if the liners have dropped, skim the head and put it all back together plus some cams/itb’s

Garage wise, I’d recommend Kenneth Brown motor engineers in Hillington, they are probably the most knowledgable and competent when it comes to cars like ours.

The Honda swap is great for lots of reasons but you can’t beat a tuned K for character.
S1 Elige Audi 1.8T
S1 Elise Honda K20
VW T6.1 family bus

EliseS1_Willy_G

Post by EliseS1_Willy_G » Sun May 15, 2022 9:27 am

thanks for that. Will give it some thought and phone Kenny tomorrow for a chat. Is there a danger thar I spend xxxx of rebuild and upgrade and I am in the same situation as now in 6 months time ??

G

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Sun May 15, 2022 9:36 am

I have reworked many blocks if you decide to down the rebuild route . It could be a cracked liner or perhaps the liners are leaking if the sealer had gone ....
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

EliseS1_Willy_G

Post by EliseS1_Willy_G » Sun May 15, 2022 10:45 am

That a service you offer or just info that it can be done successfully ?

campbell

Post by campbell » Mon May 16, 2022 12:09 am

Philthy is on the money there and Stu is a true gent (most of the time ) so pay attention to them and you’ll be fine.

Welcome along! Build thread please
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

van cleef

Post by van cleef » Mon May 16, 2022 1:32 pm

Liner sealant had gone in my vvc a couple of years back, which I had rebuilt with durability in mind… now I’ve a K20 in my lockup, with the intention of fitting in the near future, so I’m utterly useless in advise.

I’d of loved to of had a highly strung K but couldn’t get anyone to commit to the engine build, hence the K20 as on track I’m wanting a bit more.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Mon May 16, 2022 4:29 pm

I would also recommend Kenny Brown's. He did a great job rebuilding my engine to rude health a few years ago. He did mine in 2018 (IIRC) and it's been great ever since. I am sure if you did have any issues after the work, he would sort you out.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

EliseS1_Willy_G

Post by EliseS1_Willy_G » Mon May 16, 2022 8:40 pm

that's very good to know. One of my main fears as I said is to get into the loop of continual rebuilds. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Tue May 17, 2022 1:02 pm

well ive had both, my S1 elise as a 160 is the sweet spot for me on our roads (plus reliability, fingers crossed) , if you are doing more trackdays then a N/A honda is what you want.
"Here for a good time not a long time"

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sun May 29, 2022 10:59 am

I have also had all different combinations of standard and non standard Elise

When it's working the k is great and unless you do loads of track stuff the Honda isn't worth the grief in my experience.

Your engine does sound goosed.

Depending on vintage and luck of the draw you may have a porous head. If so, that's scrap. The block generally will be ok, subject to decking to fix the liner heights .. particularly if you will rev the scunners out of it on track.

The best head castings are the MS2 and the S2 vvc. S1 vvc probz ok too.

The MS2 makes most sense if you are on standard k16 S1 as you can just drop your standard cams in and leave ECU alone. Will get 135-145 depending on everything else and who is measuring.

Lovely combination.

Many folks on here will remember Egor, my old blue S2 which was this engine spec and was a hoot to drive.

Later it had an Audi engine and then 2 hondas (grenaded the first one). None was as much fun on the road and you never have enough power on track (unless you can afford a 311).
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun May 29, 2022 11:09 am

Technically Egor was silver, your first S2 was the blue one, but the rest is accurate
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

twin2

Post by twin2 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:41 am

I had this dilemma last year - same thing where Craig couldn't find the leak but the car was overheating, coolant was dirty, mayo was present and had steam from the exhaust - ending spectacularly with a massive plume.

Ended up going with KiwiRog head, Newman ph2 cams, Piper verniers and a new head gasket. This made a world of difference, but if I did it again I'd be adding an emerald, 4-2-1, aluminium inlet etc... (all of which are now sitting in my spare room with a CR box)

My friend just bought a 111S with an emerald and piper cams and the difference in how smooth the power delivery is, is incredible.

Again would recommend Kenneth Brown - he properly knows his stuff!

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Mon May 30, 2022 10:32 pm

It was silvery blue.
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

EliseS1_Willy_G

Post by EliseS1_Willy_G » Tue May 31, 2022 9:12 pm

thanks again for all the replies and info. The k series that's in it has a kiwirog head, standard cams, 421 and cat replacement. it certainly used to go well enough, but I can't help thinking I want a bit more...

I have been speaking to both Kenny and maidstone sports cars about options. Kenny is just mega busy at the moment so hard to tie down.