Post by robin » Tue May 31, 2022 9:57 pm

It's possibly an itch you have to scratch 😁
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Re: k series rebuild or honda

Post by DDtB » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:52 pm

I got fed up with my K series breaking every time I took it on a French Frolic or basically used it. Sounds like it was a fairly similar spec to yours.

Ended up firing the car off to Maidstone to put a Honda in it, with around 240bhps now. It's done a few euro trips and several trackdays since, without really skipping a beat mechanically. Gets a service at Automek each year and hasn't really needed anything other than oil changes etc.

If you have a K that works, that's great for those that do. But not sure I'd spend money fixing & upgrading one again. Probably spent a Honda conversion's worth trying before I gave up.

EliseS1_Willy_G

Post by EliseS1_Willy_G » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:11 pm

Dave, thanks for your thoughts. How did you find Maindetone to deal with ? Did you get an LSD and oil cooler fitted when they built your car?

EliseS1_Willy_G

Post by EliseS1_Willy_G » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:11 pm

maidstone even !

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:48 am

Maidstone were pretty good overall. Couple things I was a bit annoyed at but possibly my fault for not being clear with them. Can't fault their work though.

PM me your email and I can ping you over the spec list. No LSD but did get an oil cooler.

From memory a high level of my spec was.. standard Maidstone conversion plus the following upgrades:
Seimans Injectors
RBC Manifold
Skunk 2 throttle body
Oil Cooler

I should point out that part of the rationale for some of those upgrades was to make sure I got at least 1bhp more than Simon Ironside on here. Probably wouldn't bother with the injectors if doing it again.

Took the opportunity to overhaul the car at the same time with suspension refresh, new brakes etc etc The only thing I'm not 100% happy with yet is the gear change but have added Dan from HPE's Ultimate Shifter Kit so getting there.

Also have since upgraded the ECU and had it remapped again at TDI North. Performance is tremendous now (on the 1 day I year i seem to be using it these days!!)

EliseS1_Willy_G

Post by EliseS1_Willy_G » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:21 am

pm sent

thanks

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:55 am

Yes Dave. You need to drive it more.

Or at all.

Nice to hear from you tho!
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy