S2 slipping clutch

The place to "speak geek"
D_Mike

S2 slipping clutch

Post by D_Mike » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:27 am

Oh dear :(
Clutch slip in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gears.
I'd noticed a few times on going 1st to 2nd when accelerating hard/uphill in the past month. Now will slip in any gear, on the level, with moderate throttle opening.
car has recent new master and slave cylinder.
I guess the question is whether its the actual clutch (you know, the rubby bits) (not a mechanic) or a sticky/slow mechanism...
I guess it's irrelevant because either way it all has to come out?

Stephen

Re: S2 slipping clutch

Post by Stephen » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:25 am

Sounds like the clutch is away.
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:58 am

How many miles on the clutch?

Although might be moot … I put 118,000 on my S1 clutch and it was still going strong
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

D_Mike

Post by D_Mike » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:51 am

Close to 90k so not unreasonable I guess.

Just been out to check and was careful to leave the clutch engaged for several seconds before checking for any slip. It still slips long after a gear change is completed/pedal is up, which I guess suggest not an issue related to that mechanism. Possibly a slight rattly sound coming from it also.

Ho hum. Better phone up Craig I guess.
Last edited by D_Mike on Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

campbell

Post by campbell » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:56 am

All part of running an older car BUT on the upside these are great cars and just think of your maintenance budget as the alternative to precipitous depreciation on something 2 yrs old and 2-3 times the original purchase price

Every year I would set aside a Maint Fund for my S1. Yes it grew as the car aged and yes I spent most of it each year and yes there were things we didn’t budget for sometimes. Or often . But this made the ownership experience much smoother and less upsetting.

Craig is usually very good at preventive maintenance checks too, so use that expertise to help you plan

D_Mike

Post by D_Mike » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:30 pm

Thanks Campbell. Yes - I have a decent maintenance budget. Or did have. Now I have a lot of maintenance instead. :D As you say, only an issue if you aren’t prepared for and expecting it. At the end of it all, at least the car ends up in better condition than it was, hopefully noticeable in the driving experience.

D_Mike

Post by D_Mike » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:30 pm

Thanks Campbell. Yes - I have a decent maintenance budget. Or did have. Now I have a lot of maintenance instead. :D As you say, only an issue if you aren’t prepared for and expecting it. At the end of it all, at least the car ends up in better condition than it was, hopefully noticeable in the driving experience.

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:12 am

Hi Mike,

I would not put the lightweight flywheel on it unless primarily a track car. The standard K's are quite gentle cars in traffic; you're going to find you have to give it some revs every time you pull away if you put the lighter flywheel on it. Remember, when the clutch is up all the rotating parts are part of your "flywheel" - everything in the gearbox, the brake disks, the wheels, etc. and of course the momentum of the car itself. So stripping a couple of kg out the engine flywheel makes a bit of a difference to how fast it revs in neutral but very little difference to how fast it revs in 2nd gear.

Hopefully you see this before you ordered the flywheel ;-)
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

D_Mike

Post by D_Mike » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:52 am

All fixed. Craig and team found the clutch release arm/fork was just very stuff/seized. Occasionally it was failing to return all the way after the clutch pedal had been depressed. (I always get confused with engaged/disengaged and clutches).

Of course the only way to fix that is to get it all to bits anyway. So new clutch fitted, sticky bits are now slidy/rolly bits. I had not realised quite how heavy the pedal was before…

Anyway, best of all, a bunch of rattles that used to be there are now not. (I hope they didn’t get fitted to someone else’s car by mistake). Good result though, it’s basically an S class now.
Last edited by D_Mike on Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:04 pm

Always love an S1 Resto Story. Well done!!

D_Mike

Post by D_Mike » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:33 pm

campbell

Post by campbell » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:40 pm

Excellent. And of course an S2. Doh, apologies!

D_Mike

Post by D_Mike » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:44 pm

no worries. I consider it a complement, being the weak-willed, decadent, pampered S2 owner that I am.