French Frolic 11 - 2013

Strictly for tarmac whores
mrbennybennett

Re: French Frolic 11 - 2013

Post by mrbennybennett » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Following on from Mr G's little tale I thought I would post a few words on my Frolic experience

Friday 2nd
Greg turned up at my house on Friday lunchtime, we loaded up the car and made our way down the A68 and A697 at a rather gentle pace with Rolfe's 90's playlist blaring out some classics by the Venga Boys and the Out-Here Brothers :D We arrived at Newcastle in plenty of time to dock the Geordie express and hit the roof top bar for the first of many for the trip ahead

We moved down to the main bar which was awash with the usual hen and stag parties enjoying the boats hospitality - ended up being a late and expensive one with Mr Rolfe and I spending £100 each on the boat and we didn't have any food! Greg took a fancy to Randy Rach

Saturday 3rd
Rolfe lost the toss and did the first stint off the boat heading to Le Mans. We buzzed down the motorways through Holland, Belgium and into France
(via Maccy d's) with little fuss. Had a little peage GP with a Cayenne GTS as we came into France, he flew past us off the lights and sped away - we thankfully never gave chase as about 3 miles down the road he had been pulled by the Gendarmes - close one

Arrived into Le Mans late afternoon and the boys were in the bar - so a few pints were the order of the day waiting for Andy and Uncle Ron to arrive. Gutted to hear Stu P had headed home but we had a drink with his shoe in honour.

We headed into town for a few more beers and a bite to eat. After dinner we headed to a local bar where we started on the 11 euro steins and acquired Troll headgear - as you do!
We struggled to get a taxi back to the hotel so we had a fair walk back which involved me being poisoned by a dodgy kebab, Ali whacking Rolfe in the nuts with a flip flop and "taps aff" jogging.

Sunday 4th
Me and Rolfe slept in and rolled up to the track about 11ish to the usual abuse from the boys. Got a briefing and did a few sighting laps with Ron. My head will still a mess from 2 big nights on the beers so waited till the afternoon to tackle the track but in the meantime Andy took me out in Neil's new Exige V6 - it was epic and could be expensive as I now want one badly - flat out at 135mph into the first corner was epic stuff!!

Did a handful of laps in the afternoon but never really "bonded" with the track but definitely a good one to tick off the done list

Back to the hotel for more beers and another trip into town but was a bit more sedate as most of the bars and restaurants were closed due to it being a public holiday

Monday 5th
For some bizarre reason me and Rolfe were up and about first! and decided to get heading down the road to Dijon. The decision was made to stop off at a lake about 60 outside of Dijon so we hit the motorways and headed down as the advance party. We arrived and it was pretty busy with Frenchies on their holidays. We sat and had a couple of drinks and toasted sarnies waiting on the rest of the boys turning up.

We had a spirited run from the lake into Dijon then again headed out for a steak and a few beers. Ended up bar which serves Brew Dog spookily enough.

Tuesday 6th
Again me and Rolfe slept in but headed off to the track at about half 10 and were soaked by a pretty severe thunderstorm en-route. Arrived at the pits and were forced to take our briefing in the pouring rain as punishment for being late again! At this stage the track was shut due to all of the surface water but once dried out in the afternoon - wow what a track, it was epic fun and had lots of laps and great fun being taken out in the 211 and Atom - Andy and Ali can certainly Peddle. Would definitely love to do that track again

Another night on the beers surprisingly enough - ended up an messy one with a late night bar and a bottle of vodka :roll:

Wednesday 7th
We made it up at sensible o'clock and decided to just get on the road and head down to the next stop in Mulhouse. Headed down in convoy with Ali, Andy and Uncle Ron - Neil, Kinger and Kinger Jr (aka Scotty Saville Jr) were lagging behind, feeling the effects of the previous nights vodka :) Arrived in Mullhouse and parked up in the underground car park then headed into the town for lunch, just avoiding the sudden downpour.

Due to the rain we couldn't face leaving the pub so we had a few beers in the afternoon then a trip to Mr McDonalds for tea to see Ali face the one bite cheeseburger challenge which he dominated :lol:

Thursday 8th
Last track of the trip and for once me and Rolfe had promised we would make this briefing. We left with the rest of the boys but got split coming off a junction. My sat nav got us lost and we ended up in a corn field :shock: 15 minutes of fannying about and a call to the navigator, Andy G we finally got there about 20 mins late but just made the briefing luckily as Rolfe was going to kill me :evil:

As Andy said this is a private members track which is open every night Tuesday to Saturday from 5pm to 9pm for the members to use as much as they like. 2,500 euros a year and a further 1,500 if you want to store your car there with the rest of the metal which included a Ferrari F40, old Buggati's, Radicals, KTM's and a few Loti so we were in good company

We had one of the locals on out track day - a swiss nutter who turned up in this little beauty - he was going very well with the home advantage and I think Mr G made a friend for life when he took him out for a spin in the Atom

Quite enjoyed the track - not as good as Dijon but still quite quick with a number of technical corners

Gutted to say goodbye to the rest of the boys as we were generally heading home in different directions but Frolic was done - what a trip. Me and rolfe headed north with Neil towards Frankfurt as we had a night planned there and Neil was picking up his Mrs from the airport. Managed 140mph on the autobahn trying to keep up with Neil but the traffic was pretty busy. Such a funny feeling driving so fast legally :P

Waved goodbye to Neil on the outskirts of Frankfurt and heading into the city centre to a cracking Hilton, good bite to eat, few beers and cocktails and a "dance" club. Frankfurt was jumping - really great city and I would love to go back - Rolfe enjoyed it

Friday 9th
The valet dropped the car at the front door of the hotel and we made the last 300 miles of the trip up through Germany into Holland onto Amsterdam. Jumped on the ferry and headed home. We were crashed out by 8pm - the weeks festivities had taken their toll. The Friday night ferry from Amsterdam is much different to the ferry to Amsterdam!!

Saturday 10th
Dropped Rolfe in Newcastle town centre as he was heading south for a week with his family and to sober up! I had a spirited run up the A697 and A68 having a good wee tussle with a new Focus ST. Arrived back into Edinburgh about 1pm.

2,000 miles, 3 tracks, 6 countries, too many units of alcohol, banter and laughs all in a week - Frolic is something you just have to experience once in your life

Until the next one...................
718 Spyder
BMW 128 ti
VW Polo GTi

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:44 pm

:damnfunny

where was the gimp pic?

Great reading other people accounts of the trip - you forget so much!
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Mike Scib

Post by Mike Scib » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Sounds like an "epic" trip guys! :thumbsup

How was the Atom's fuel range since the remap Andy?
alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

mrbennybennett

Post by mrbennybennett » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Andy G wrote::damnfunny

where was the gimp pic?

Great reading other people accounts of the trip - you forget so much!
Rolfe has that one :lol:
718 Spyder
BMW 128 ti
VW Polo GTi

Andy G

French Frolic 11 - 2013

Post by Andy G » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Mike Scib wrote:
How was the Atom's fuel range since the remap Andy?
Not 100% sure. Wasn't to
Keen to go beyond 150 miles but then it never took more than 32 litres despite being at zero for a while.

Some of the best £ I spend buying fuel for the Atom! Mental
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:03 pm

I got the 211 back at 5 today, in the back of a very nice enclosed car transporter, where its been since last tuesday. Very impressed. The guy picked it up from Spa on his was back from Portugal with an Aston.
Then collected a Bentley after dropping of the Aston and headed up to Edinburgh.
I hope i am covered for the full cost of the recovery. Wouldent have been cheep....
Anyway , looks like you all had a great time, an my boot was looked after.
Car repair will start soon, followed by an extreme and long series of testing at Knockhill to make sure its fully sorted this time before doing any more long trips.
Oh , the joys.

Sth
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Not much more I can add to what's already been said, OK can't remember any more. A great time in great company. on great tracks in a great car. What more can one ask for.

Stu, you may have had to leave at Spa but you were with us all the way.

Stu enjoying a beer with the boy's in Paris

Stu doing the tourist at the Tower

Stu outside Le Mans after he's been up the Moulsane Straight.

Stu at Reims eyeing up that Porsche Speedster

Now we'll need to work out how to get the Shoe back to Stu, SE Pony Express.

Cheers

Oooops : Looks like I've messed up with the pictures, will try to sort it out tomorrow

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:45 pm

Great write ups by Mr G and Bennoire, whilst i could semi console myself being away at the same time, reading this made me #abitjelly and really want to make 2014, however probs 2015 more likely financially. I know FF in my 135r was a little torturous, would have loved to have done it in the SC, and would like to think by 2015 things will be headed in the right direction and a decent car will be on the cards and a bit of Frolicing will be required!

Sounded like a top trip though!!! :thumbsup

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Some random phone snap memories here.

Possibly worth reading the descriptions...the bias on these seems to be I've only taken photos when not hecticly involved in Frolicing!
Sorry not had time to post a proper write up.
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.