First (mid-engined) track day advice please

Strictly for tarmac whores
tonyg

First (mid-engined) track day advice please

Post by tonyg » Fri May 10, 2013 4:00 pm

So now i actually own an Elise and will no doubt do a few track days.I have plenty of track day experience,but always been in front engined cars.

What are the main differences i should be aware of?
Now with half an engine

Shug

Re: First (mid-engined) track day advice please

Post by Shug » Fri May 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Less throttle adjustability, mainly. Get an elise significantly sideways and it's a bit harder to catch than a caterham - also, if you rely on pure front grip, you'll likely understeer a bit.

Tough to explain, but it's just about getting the weight moving a little differently from the caterham - more rear grip, less front in a steady state, but the weight tends to induce roll oversteer, so you need to be aware of that on a trailing brake into the corners.

Just give it a shot and see what you feel. :thumbsup
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 pm

its weight mainly - actually the Elise SC on track is tremendously adjustable for an Elise, but clearly it isnt as point and shoot as a 7. Braking will take longer the line is slightly different.

Its a fair bit bigger also :mrgreen:

Personally, i think i'd upgrade the brakes & suspension eventually, but bloody magic fun out of the box. It will quite easily lap in a controlled or lunatic fashion, and being so well balanced controlling it is relatively easy sideways, unless you try the Benny school of cornering :damnfunny

You wont also notice the speed it is carrying in the same way as you would in the 7, so beware of that - its caught me out in the past - thought I was going way slower than I actually was :oops:

When are you tracking it? Look forward to hearing how you get on :thumbsup
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Modena Scotland

Post by Modena Scotland » Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Trail brake will help the elise to turn in better, but be careful to come off the brake gently as the rear could come out quite easily if you are corning hot :mrgreen:

When the rear starts to lose traction, the elise will swing faster than the 7 and not as controllable on the throttle (but still can drift). As usual, dont fight the steering when going sideways. Go with the flow :damnfunny

Good luck and have fun.

I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.
A Senna

Shared SE Calendar

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Sat May 11, 2013 10:31 am

Modena Scotland wrote:Trail brake will help the elise to turn in better, but be careful not to come off the brake gently so the rear will come out quite easily if you are corning hot :mrgreen:
Fixed that for you Mass :thumbsup
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Modena Scotland

Post by Modena Scotland » Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Well spotted Andy :mrgreen: , just testing you :damnfunny

I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.
A Senna

Shared SE Calendar

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Sun May 12, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for the advice guys - never tried , but may have to experiment.

I don't do sideways (Rule 1 - Car going sideways is not going forward as fast as it could be).

It does gain speed surprisingly quickly (and the high revs sound is addictive) so i'll bear that in mind Andy.

What tyre pressures shoud be used?
Now with half an engine

Modena Scotland

Post by Modena Scotland » Sun May 12, 2013 10:47 am

Tony, the point is not if you like going sideways......

If you drive the car to and over the limit, the traction will be lost. The way this happens on the elise and 7 are different. This is what you have to be aware of.

I agree that going sideways in an extreme fashion ( :damnfunny ) is fun but lose time. However, driving out of corner at the limit of traction making the car to slide and dance is very fast.

Try and see.

I used to use 22 front and 24 rear on the Exige S.

:cheers

A Senna

Shared SE Calendar

fd

Post by fd » Sun May 12, 2013 11:56 am

tonyg wrote: I don't do sideways (Rule 1 - Car going sideways is not going forward as fast as it could be).
Nah, if you stick by this rule you will be limited by understeer for the rest of your days ;-)

Fd

ClarkyBoy

Post by ClarkyBoy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 pm

fd wrote:
tonyg wrote: I don't do sideways (Rule 1 - Car going sideways is not going forward as fast as it could be).
Nah, if you stick by this rule you will be limited by understeer for the rest of your days ;-)

Fd
:thumbsup :withstupid
Vanlife Sprinter
E30 318is / axle stand spec
987.2 Cayman S
[#]=///=[#] ‘88 Panda 4x4
BSA B31
MF35
Stiga Tornado
Many Bicycles