Oulton Park - 09/11/13

Strictly for tarmac whores
alicrozier

Re: Oulton Park - 09/11/13

Post by alicrozier » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 am

Great weekend at Oulton. Thanks to all fo the pax laps and shotties of their cars. Especially Stu reminding me what I was missing not having my car there. Pax in the Atom at the end was bonkers, giggle inducing, squirrely fun!

Home in under 2.5 hours...which was nice!
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Great to see everyone :)

Arrived a little late (delayed flight in Manchester / hire car depot miles off site), but got there eventually.

Decent bum burner at the Cheshire Tandoori - Great company & chat :thumbsup - Just a shame the hotel bar closed before 11pm on a Friday, but probably for the best...(!)

Icy start the following morning, and a greasy damp Oulton - Sun was out in the morning, and the track pretty much dried out, bar Shell Hairpin & Druids.

Four seasons in one day after lunch, with sun / hail / torrential rain etc...Made for some interesting driving conditions and a very quiet track.

Thanks to Ed for letting me take his car for a spin - Great fun, although every time I drive an Elise it makes me really want to own another one... Hmmm... :mrgreen:

Thanks also to everyone who took me out for pax laps :thumbsup

See you all next time, if not sooner... :cheers

(My picture efforts here - http://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/vie ... =9&t=37456 )

Mike Scib

Post by Mike Scib » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Cracking day yesterday, forgot just how good Oulton really is even in the wet conditions! Druids was super greasy, almost like driving on diesel/ice.....even feathering the throttle would up set the rear :shock:

S2000 was "Epic", new rear AD08 'R's seem to have tamed the rear slightly which is nice as before it was a little to tail happy :lol: :lol: Looks like it maybe staying for a while yet :blackeye

Cheers to Andy and BigD for the pax laps, great fun. The Atom is just wild :twisted:

Will try and get some video up later on :cheers
alicrozier wrote:As Robin said, need to be comfortable and confident to push right up to the limit - sometimes you only find the limit by going beyond it...
(that's why I think Mike will do fine, that and his lack of imagination). :roll: :lol:

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:50 pm

What a great laugh!

From the initial meeting in the bar, to a great dinner, let down (saved) by returning to a shut bar, the Oulton weekend is becoming a firm fixture at the end of another track season.

Magic fun on the track and constantly changing conditions meant that the start of the morning and the afternoon kept everyone on their toes. Needless to say the SE crew had a great laugh.

I'm not sure that anyone that hasn't driven Druids in the wet or cold could appreciate just how slippy it was, and I think that corner alone caused 5-6 red flags during the day. A great challenge though, and for those willing to get out in the afternoon rain/sleet/hail a fantastic opportunity to practise car control.

The Atom provided some new challenges at Oulton. Deers leap was genuinely a leap, which saw me sideways on to the main straight at one point. The other crest pre-Druids also saw it leave the ground and get really twitchy. One it got wet, I had wheel spin in 5/6 gears, but bloody magic fun.

One of those days that makes you appreciate why you work so hard, and that you are lucky enough to have such a good bunch of similarly minded lunatics to share the adventure with!

2014's November drip may see the return of the Donkey Punch, with a Oulton & Cadwell double header. To my mind the UK's 2 finest circuits. Roll on the next track day :thumbsup

Thanks to D for letting me share his room, and everyone else for the laughs, ribbing and great banter.

I've got some video so will try and do something with it for a change so you can appreciate the conditions first hand :cheers

Ps. Stu - hope you got back ok. Was driving through the hail and rain in the dark from the comfort the rangie feeling sorry for my windscreenless partner in crime!
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Andy G wrote:What a great laugh!

From the initial meeting in the bar, to a great dinner, let down (saved) by returning to a shut bar, the Oulton weekend is becoming a firm fixture at the end of another track season.

Magic fun on the track and constantly changing conditions meant that the start of the morning and the afternoon kept everyone on their toes. Needless to say the SE crew had a great laugh.

I'm not sure that anyone that hasn't driven Druids in the wet or cold could appreciate just how slippy it was, and I think that corner alone caused 5-6 red flags during the day. A great challenge though, and for those willing to get out in the afternoon rain/sleet/hail a fantastic opportunity to practise car control.

The Atom provided some new challenges at Oulton. Deers leap was genuinely a leap, which saw me sideways on to the main straight at one point. The other crest pre-Druids also saw it leave the ground and get really twitchy. One it got wet, I had wheel spin in 5/6 gears, but bloody magic fun.

One of those days that makes you appreciate why you work so hard, and that you are lucky enough to have such a good bunch of similarly minded lunatics to share the adventure with!

2014's November drip may see the return of the Donkey Punch, with a Oulton & Cadwell double header. To my mind the UK's 2 finest circuits. Roll on the next track day :thumbsup

Thanks to D for letting me share his room, and everyone else for the laughs, ribbing and great banter.

I've got some video so will try and do something with it for a change so you can appreciate the conditions first hand :cheers

Ps. Stu - hope you got back ok. Was driving through the hail and rain in the dark from the comfort the rangie feeling sorry for my windscreenless partner in crime!
It was raining , i never noticed. :damnfunny

I was fine, wasnt until I got 10 miles from Perth that i started to get cold, hands and feet only, rest was fine.
I think i must look out for a trailer, it would be so much better than driving in that kind of weather......must be getting old, but yes, heated seats and comfort would be nice.

A Cadwell / Oulton would be the best, fantastic tracks, I am sure that could be sorted for next year :D

Ahhhhh , what am I going to do till march????,

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:41 pm

The trip back was pretty hideous, top effort for getting the 211 home in that. :thumbsup

I need to get some driver training sorted for next year to up the confidence when dealing with the wet conditions. My mind went to getting the car home in one peice and from there it was a slippery slope. :)

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Ah but, self preservation is not a bad thing! You should get down to see Walshy, but don't feel bad for bailing on a greasy Oulton - it's a risky circuit to run out of talent on :-)

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Pussy.....

<BG>

tut

BigD

Post by BigD » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:13 pm

robin wrote:Ah but, self preservation is not a bad thing! You should get down to see Walshy, but don't feel bad for bailing on a greasy Oulton - it's a risky circuit to run out of talent on :-)

Cheers,
Robin
I'll second that after having far too much fun in the wet and overconfidence/lack of talent at Druids found me kissing the tyre wall. :oops: great fun when it was wet though and you can only find the limits by going beyond them. :lol:
Last edited by BigD on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 am

Stu160

Post by Stu160 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 am

Nice one,
Ed, ....you need a supercharger ;-)

Stu
S1 S160
Caterham 310R

flyingscot68

Post by flyingscot68 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:00 am

That was great fun - even the sighting lap puncture didn't ruin our day.

I'd never been there before, tricky place in the wet. Lots of red flags, most of them caused by people going off a Druids although I was finding it even more slippy at the entrance to the second chicane after the heavy rain and hail stones :shock:

It was good to put a few more faces to names on here. Thanks again Ross for organising the curry, and Cisco for taking me for a spin - literally :thumbsup
Thanks to Stu for taking Lesley out in the 2-11, I think she's just about recovered.

Trip home was easy enough, comfy car the Evora :D

Cadwell and Oulton sounds like an excellent trip, Oulton was nice but I think Cadwell is still my favourite UK track I've been to although Oulton might just pip it if it stayed dry, bring on 2014.

Cheers,

Kenny

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:38 pm

robin wrote:Ah but, self preservation is not a bad thing! You should get down to see Walshy, but don't feel bad for bailing on a greasy Oulton - it's a risky circuit to run out of talent on :-)

Cheers,
Robin
What happened to you Robin?
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:15 pm

This weekend or life in general? This weekend I was working - as I said in my text to you (perhaps you were pished ;-) Life in general, there are plenty of nutters on here going flat out sideways - I like to balance that out with some more conservative views lest the members think that life on SE revolves around going sideways (and then crashing) :-)

Roll on Spazz and DP14 ... I was gutted to miss OP this year - perhaps the first year in 10 that I haven't been to OP at least once ... also I have no car, but I could have borrowed one from the various kind folk that offered me their cars.

In the words of Arnie, I'll be back ...

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:13 pm

robin wrote:This weekend or life in general? This weekend I was working - as I said in my text to you (perhaps you were pished ;-) Life in general, there are plenty of nutters on here going flat out sideways - I like to balance that out with some more conservative views lest the members think that life on SE revolves around going sideways (and then crashing) :-)

Roll on Spazz and DP14 ... I was gutted to miss OP this year - perhaps the first year in 10 that I haven't been to OP at least once ... also I have no car, but I could have borrowed one from the various kind folk that offered me their cars.

In the words of Arnie, I'll be back ...

Cheers,
Robin
Hoping SO Robin! Roll on the next event! :thumbsup
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp