SIDC 26th March

Strictly for tarmac whores
JohnStewart

Re: SIDC 26th March

Post by JohnStewart » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:57 am

Glad you all enjoyed the day. I think that's the first 4 hour event we've ran without a single red flag. Looked a bit busy for the first 30 minutes as everyone was trying to get some dry laps before the forecast heavy rain arrived, but thankfully it stayed off until I was driving out of the circuit on my way home.

I did manage to take a few photos that I'll upload later today at some point. Pleased to say my shoulder held up fine, though did take frequent breaks so not to over stress it.

For those thinking of the next event in May, there's only a handful of spaces left now, and our event planned for September has been moved to 8th October by Knockhill to accommodate a 3 day booking by a major car manufacturer.

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:47 am

Being stopped on that road is a little worrying, though it was probably a one off co-inciding event and would never happen again. Many of us have driven that road dozens of times, probably over a 100 in my case, obviously there would never be a Scam Van on it, though I have seen one on the lower Lecht. Likewise I have never seen a Patrol Car on the road, no point, so this would have been the village police house with a LR, though it was probably a Defender.

When we were chatting he mentioned that he had a TVR and that they were great roads for a sports car, and I mentioned that if he had been following me at over 90 then he was a braver man than I was, as I would have not managed that in the Elise as there were no straights, plus I was not interested in straight line speed, which raised a smile. I was checking my mirrors even though I did not see much point, but never saw him so he could never have seen me again until we got into Dufftown. Would have liked to have asked him which car would have been safer at over 90 on those roads, but I am not that stupid. Relevant point though.

None of us stick to the speed limits on those roads except for the villages, and I doubt that we even bother looking at the speedo as you are watching the next bend, there are no real straights so speeds would be between 60-80 with the odd 50 bend. No chance of catching more than 3 points but I have always worked on no chance of any. Have we ever had any on the backroads on our S_E, TT runs, if so I can not recollect them? If I had no points then it would not really bother me so not sure what to do now, there is no fun driving them at the speed limit which would mean sticking to the 75 mph convoys that we use to KH.

I lose my six points early next year so I suppose I could hibernate until then. I realise that this is an open Forum before anybody reminds me, but if Big Brother has nothing better to do than check my movements and confessions that I sometimes exceed the speed limit, then respect to him for dedication to his job. He could even move up the ladder and train to be a Scam Cam driver.

tut
Last edited by tut on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:01 am

Great day John and pleased to see that your operation was a success. Let me have the name of your surgeon. :D

I was talking to Alan (the Instructor who briefed us and made scurrilous remarks about me), and he actually had to have a mechanical heart pump fitted four years ago, so a worst situation than mine, though he said it returned him to normal life. He is half my age so I will not achieve that but would settle for 80%.

Driving standards were excellent over a large selection of cars, did not even see a black flag being given, but the red flags work both ways, I was waiting for one to go and refuel and then left it too late, so could not go out on track for the last 30 minutes.

I did offer N3 when I was resting between sessions, to anyone that wanted to take it out, even the Ape, but no one took me up on it. You had better not say because it would have probably killed you in front of Craig, he both spent weeks working on it and was at the track.

tut

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:12 am

I would have taken you up on it tut but wasn't signed on as a driver then. Ron and Andy convinced me to sign in and have a we shot in the last hour

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:28 am

Lazydonkey wrote:
Car sounded ace when you blasted past Campbell!
Glad to hear that. Couldn't resist :-)

Your restraint with Baby on Board is admirable.

I would like to add that no one has been sick in my Evora.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 am

Would have loved to have seen you take my 6' 9" pax out Neil, you would have set two records, the heaviest and tallest two ever in an Elise, and probably the funniest photograph. :damnfunny

However the car would have had to go back into Monty for a rebuild.

tut

istoo

SIDC 26th March

Post by istoo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:41 am

Envy and joy reading this, gutted to pull out, more so after reading the above... See you in May!

Time in my hands this year so keep to wander past KH, really fancy a walshy day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S2 111s

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:09 am

tut wrote:Would have loved to have seen you take my 6' 9" pax out Neil, you would have set two records, the heaviest and tallest two ever in an Elise, and probably the funniest photograph. :damnfunny

However the car would have had to go back into Monty for a rebuild.

tut

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:35 am

Well snapped John. My seat is actually raised on blocks.

The ultimate would have been Graeme Fraser driving.

tut

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:06 pm

So yesterday didn't quite go to plan. Car had felt a bit sluggish and after a few pax runs the bottom pulley worked loose. :-( Thankfully the alternator belt let go first so the charge light came on and I came into the pits suspecting I'd cooked the alternator. Sadly the pulley was loose, game over. Was lucky it hadn't fully let go. Engine is fine.

It was great to see everyone, a real SE chat fest. Huge thanks to Ron who basically saved Saturday by running me back to Edinburgh. Top man and it was helpful to chat through diagnosis. Thanks various for lend of tools and to Craig who insists on spannering even if he didn't need to, and more importantly letting me deposit said broken car directly into CMC. Also quick thanks to Tut for taking a friend out for a Pax, your looking very well despite ailments.

I forgot to take my go pro and to be honest was more focused on car issues.Hopefully can get the car fixed easily and be back in action shortly. :thumbsup
Last edited by Ferg on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brian

Post by brian » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks to John for a great day yesterday. First track outing in the 340 for a while and a bit quicker than Gordon's GT86! Must be the first track day I've been on without a red flag and the driving standards were very good.

Thanks to Craig for sorting my brake lights, Kenny and the Aston passenger mentioned they weren't working, Smee just thought 340r's didn't have to brake for Duffus!

Good luck Neil with the grand opening of Ramp it Up in April. I think I'll need to get the mapping / induction hose sorted as I struggled to pass your Clio up the straight :)

The Ferrari sounded awesome. Spent a few laps following him, catching him when he got caught in traffic but then he just disappeared up the straights.

Journey home wasn't so good, M90 was dangerous with the spray making it very difficult to see through four layers, inside/outside windscreen and glasses. Followed Tut's thinking and turned off at Perth, taking the back roads up over the Cairn. Although wet and lots of standing water, it was a better option than the A90 and enjoyed the run home although was soaked by the time I got there.

Look forward to the next one.

PS
I caught up with a Police van a few years back on the Dufftown Tomintoul road and he waved me pass, so they're not all bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smee

Post by smee » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Great weekend folks and I'd just like to add my thanks. Cheers to Tut for the lift down, thanks to Kenny, Tony and Kinder for the laps, nice to be in such different cars. And thanks again to Craig for making my car feel like new again and for bringing it up to the circuit.
Drive home was soaking and I was knackered so had a wee snooze beside the A90, surprisingly easy with ear plugs and a cap over your eyes to catch some zzzs in that car!
S1 Elise - LRG MMC
Exige 390 LRG
GR Yaris
Leighton T6.1

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:19 pm

smee wrote:Drive home was soaking and I was knackered so had a wee snooze beside the A90.

Maybe I am not so old and decrepit after all Andrew, you must have had a much more strenuous day than I did. :roll:

tut

woody

Post by woody » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Lazydonkey wrote:
First outing for the evora with Sam in the back and a person (well, woody) in the pax seat and it was just perfect... Even if I had to drop the pace to avoid a repeat of the sick produced in the way up!

Car sounded ace when you blasted past Campbell!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Didn't see any sick? Evora pax with the seat fully forward was kinder on my currently knackered back than nipping across town in the mini later in the day.

Good to see everyone, felt like an SE take over and thanks to Kenny for the laps again.

martins

Post by martins » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:19 pm

Had an ace day Saturday.

John. As always, many many thanks for organising a great day. The weather was kind but went properly down the toilet later in the afternoon.

Just back home after spending Sat night in Glen Devon.

Have to apologise to 'Ron' who I thought was Stifler and may have held up for a bit. Had a great time with Mark, swapping back and forth on track. Might need to go S1 shopping....

c8rkh. I was behind you when you decided not to brake for Duffus. Thought you were extremely brave at the time.....warmed the brakes and tyres nicely though, and is that not what the warm up is for....

With the family down seemed to have someone on-board most of the day.

Had the instructor onboard at the start of the session and really learned a lot in a short period of time. Pity I managed to forget most of it by the end of the session.

The kids did their KH Experience in the afternoon and really enjoyed same but by then it was tipping it down. Was great just to watch from the sidelines.

Thought I had a delaminating tyre on the way out of KH, but turned out to simply be lots of old rubber flying off my nearside wheels into the wheel arches.

Ended the day in the Dormy at Gleneagles (brother in law is the exec chef there and no we were not staying.....). Was very nice but BTCC or KH mush be paying too much as 'Flash' was sat at the table next to us.

Roll on the next event..

M
Exige 240 (Gone but not forgotten and will be replaced)
Mini Cooper (wife spec)
BMW dog wagon