SIDC - Sat 8th October 2016 - Knockhill

Strictly for tarmac whores
istoo

Re: SIDC - Sat 8th October 2016 - Knockhill

Post by istoo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:00 am

I picked up my phone to do a write up when I got back but missus istoo gave me the death stare.

Met the guys briefly in asda, my co pilot Doug needed a poo and is oblivious to timekeeping... And that ran true for all of the day, so I missed nearly everyone, we left asda late. Caught up wth van clef and travelled in a two car convoy down as we charges his iPhone up. Just Incase his wife decided to call him and tell him he was a dad... Nothing important! Caught up Clark who forgot he had a bike in the roof for most of the day!

Steve, thanks for the tyre pressure gauge!

Clark thanks for the tuition

Thanks to everyone for he friendliness and track etiquette. Was very good on he while, but the silver Evo wth the black bonnet should have been black flagged. I saw him come of 3 times in front of me then not go into pits and then trundle round corners only to out accelerate me down the straights. I gave up so eased off to give a gap.

My pal Doug spent the entire drive home trying to work out how many things he had to sell to buy an Elise. He drove for about half the day and was just smitten.

I haven't been on track or barely driven my car for a year. It's intoxicatingly good. Was very much on my own on track had a few good laps giving it everything to be on the back of an Elise convoy behind the red exige.

Jam160, sorry I never realised it was you in asda... Doh. I am really bad with remembering faces, actually terrible.

Have to stop writing drivel. It was an amazing day in every respect, John if one day defined why I love the Elise so much, it was yesterday. Drive back home via Perth dunkeld and glenshee was just a bonus...

Steve, would be interested to hear the Crieff route? Do you head off via drum and avoid the dualler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S2 111s

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:07 pm

campbell wrote:Love this one John. Can't get link to work but maybe you can :-)

http://www.flatoutphotography.com/galle ... 0/KH630696

There are IMG tags at the bottom of each picture - just copy and paste the whole link :)

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:10 pm

Images now uploaded to Facebook as well, so feel free to tag yourself, comment on the photos etc.: https://www.facebook.com/FlatOutPhoto/p ... 8643757034

ikarl

Post by ikarl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:30 pm

istoo wrote: the silver Evo wth the black bonnet should have been black flagged. I saw him come of 3 times in front of me then not go into pits and then trundle round corners only to out accelerate me down the straights. I gave up so eased off to give a gap.
Yup, guy was absolute fud!

He allowed a couple of cars past down the straight that he had been holding up, I started to pass and he decided he was going for the corner....ok, no problem... He was in front, so his corner. He then braked so hard for duffus that I thought he was genuinely going to stop.

Then, jerking left and right at the steering wheel, he managed down to the chicane so slowly I thought it must've been broken. Came out the chicane and full throttle, stayed to the left so no one could get by, he took such a poor line through Clarks I just pulled round him and went on my way.....a couple of laps later and the flags were out, thought to myself, bet it's that Evo..... :roll: :lol:
VX220 s/c
330xd estate

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:38 pm

JohnStewart wrote:
There are IMG tags at the bottom of each picture - just copy and paste the whole link :)
Yes, neat, tried to use that but phone browser wasn't displaying the field correctly (Dolphin browser - v good in most other respects!)

Ta for fixing :-)
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Ref Mr EVO. Remember it's always worth mentioning to race control. They can't see everything but if they get the info at the time they can (and do) act.

Much better as gives a chance to fix AG the time. Nowt John and marshals can do after the fact and the fun has already been spoiled :-(

Sounds like a great day overall though. As ever for SIDC !

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:42 pm

ikarl wrote:
istoo wrote: the silver Evo wth the black bonnet should have been black flagged. I saw him come of 3 times in front of me then not go into pits and then trundle round corners only to out accelerate me down the straights. I gave up so eased off to give a gap.
Yup, guy was absolute fud!

He allowed a couple of cars past down the straight that he had been holding up, I started to pass and he decided he was going for the corner....ok, no problem... He was in front, so his corner. He then braked so hard for duffus that I thought he was genuinely going to stop.

Then, jerking left and right at the steering wheel, he managed down to the chicane so slowly I thought it must've been broken. Came out the chicane and full throttle, stayed to the left so no one could get by, he took such a poor line through Clarks I just pulled round him and went on my way.....a couple of laps later and the flags were out, thought to myself, bet it's that Evo..... :roll: :lol:

I did notice him going off a few times. To be fair it was his first time on track and after his 2nd or 3rd spin, I did see him do about 10slower laps with the instructor around 11am and didn't see him spin after that.

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:38 pm

Evo boy was a bit of a liability but hey ho everyone has to start somewhere. Instructor certainly earned his money !! He did continue to put in some questionable laps but it was so obvious it was easy to give him a wide berth and that car stank of fuel.

The was also a m3 that looked a bit shaky early on but apart from that driving standards were good.

Great day John. What a great laugh Mike, Scott and I had lapping together. Hilarious fun with Scott and I having to work hard to keep up with Mikes straight line speed, and some tremendous fun in between. Wish I'd had a GoPro in there was about a fag paper in between us at times, although only when there was no one else about.

The auto brake bias adjustment in the 111r was put in to good use with standard front pads and rs14 rears, but it's still a hugely capable car even with that. Scott and I were comparing braking and the abs equipped 111r was significantly better despite the s1 having a better materials.

Just goes to show, you don't need mega power to have fun and actually very interesting comparing lines over the course of a lap (and then watching each other making errors), whether it was Mikes outside line at Clarks (the drifting line) or Scott's sideways tribute to Mass at Massintyes.

Good to see everyone else also, and looking forward to Friday now.

John I think from the size of some of the write ups you can see how much people appreciate the effort you put in.

As an aside though gents important to support people like John and SIDC as up to Wednesday it looked like they were going to loose money on the day.
Last edited by Andy G on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Andy G wrote: John I think from the size of some of the write ups you can see how much people appreciate the effort you put in.

As an aside though gents important to support people like John and SIDC as up to Wednesday it looked like they were going to loose money on the day.
Thanks Andy - much appreciated!

I think we were 10 short of break even on Wednesday morning, then there was a flurry of last minute bookings and we ended up with two people on the reserve list.

renmure

Post by renmure » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:37 pm

ikarl wrote:
(Guy in the little yellow kitcar :wave )
:wave

Car of the day IMHO :D
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

istoo

Post by istoo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:09 pm

renmure wrote:
ikarl wrote:

Van clef reckoned it was an MEV Exocet. Went well!

Post above that, I managed to hang onto the back of whomever had the v8 exige type number plate but with two up was loosing down the main straight... What sort of lap times were you doing?

S2 111s

istoo

Post by istoo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:10 pm

istoo wrote:
renmure wrote:
ikarl wrote:

Van clef reckoned it was an MEV Exocet. Went well!

Post above that, I managed to hang onto the back of whomever had the v8 exige type number plate but with two up was loosing down the main straight... What sort of lap times were you doing?

The ultima looked fantastic

S2 111s

van cleef

Post by van cleef » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:05 pm

I had a great time on Saturday meeting some new faces and great banter, which is always a pleasure, but the car has a few niggles and it was holding me back a fare bit.... Mainly suspension woes, and time for an upgrade me thinks. Mr Evo was something else but seeing him get progressively better over the day put me at ease. Weather was ideal for the October and to be honest I thought early on in the week it might of been wet. The full day was great and well finished off with a blast over Glenshee with Istoo.

One of the moments for me was a guy loading a booster seat into his light blue BMW 330 so his daughter could enjoy a few mild mannered laps.

Well that's trackdays finished for me with the little one due any week now and hopefully I'll see most of you again chasing each other round Knockhill.

Big thanks to John as my first track day was this year, at the first SIDC day in May, and safe to say I'm truly hooked now.

:cheers

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the suspension Lee. Had hoped the temp dampers would see you through :-(

Keep us posted on the new arrival tho :-)

Simon82

Post by Simon82 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:43 am

As has already been said it was a cracking day. Would like to extend my thanks to John as well for organising, Sidc days are one of the best run events at knockhill and always a great day even if not out on track. The pictures are always great to see and very much appreciated as well. I'm sure John probably has more laps of knockhill on foot than some people have in cars by now :)

2-11 was running well with only a weird braking issue of the pedal going hard but the brakes not really responding giving me a couple of moments of concern so I'll look into this at some point.
Car felt a lot better on the new tyres although the set up could still do with some tweaking for my tastes. Had a good few laps chasing Doug in the V6 and Kevin in the Caterham, both making the cars dance through the corners in spectacular fashion! I should have some footage which I will try to upload if I can figure out easiest way to edit etc...

Slightly jealous of the Aberdeen lot I have to say though and the drive home you get to enjoy as well, especially when the weather is as good as it was! Certainly beats the M8 procession back to Glasgow :roll:

Ikarl, sorry I never managed to take your friend out in the end, next time hopefully!

Roll on next years events!
Last edited by Simon82 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2019 Porsche 718 GT4
2018 VW Transporter T6 (bike shed :) )