Knockhill track sessions

Strictly for tarmac whores
Evoman

Knockhill track sessions

Post by Evoman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:59 am

What's the general consensus on Knockhill trackdays / track evenings?

I mean from the perspective of driver etiquette etc. compared to an SIDC run event?

There are a few being held over this weekend from Friday evening through to Sunday. Still space on the Friday and Sunday sessions. I'm tempted but I guess it will be a lottery who is booked on and what their track etiquette is like but how well managed are these events in comparison to the SIDC days for example?

Shug

Re: Knockhill track sessions

Post by Shug » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 am

I think it's been a looong time since the notorious Hot Hatch events. Not got personal experience of the clientele at the open events in recent years, but Knockhill like running a fairly tight ship (speaking from an organisers POV). As you say, maybe a bit of a lottery on who's in that session and no doubts there will be a number of Mini racers using it as a test session who can sometimes forget it's a trackday. Key thing would be if you're seeing aggro on track, to be vocal to the marshalls early, so they can have a word if it's required, before your night is spoiled.
2010 Honda VFR1200F
1990 Honda VFR400 NC30
2000 Honda VTR1000 SP1
2000 Kawasaki ZX-7R

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:15 am

I’d be recce’ing one before I made a booking. Could be all sorts.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Evoman

Post by Evoman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:31 am

Good advice guys and like you suggest Campbell perhaps a good excuse to have a recce first. I'm just so tempted to get my Exige back on track after finally getting it to run really rather nicely having balanced the throttle bodies (with expert advice through hugely knowledgeable folks on Exiges.com), fitted a throttle linkage upgrade kit and gear linkage upgrade kit.
Any meets / wee blats planned soon?!

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:45 am

There are plenty gentleman racer track days from the likes of Lotus On Track, etc. Albeit you might need to travel a little.

And SIDC might be back at Knockhill in Sept? PM JohnStewart to check ...

mckeann

Post by mckeann » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:46 am

I agree with Shug, it’s been nearly 20 years since you had to worry about hot hatch carnage. Anybody can book any Trackday, so not sure what recce’ing one is going to get you.

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:55 am

Just had a wee look at the weekend programme as I’d like to see the behaviours first hand. But spectators not yet permitted, sadly.

So your recce will have to wait

Alternatively just follow Shug and McKean’s opinions and crack on. They know their stuff.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:54 am

Ah yes of course spectating isn't allowed yet. I think I'll see what is planned in September with SIDC and perhaps book for that day, meanwhile keep an eye out on the spectator situation at Knockers as I'm still curious what these days are like. I suppose the marshalling is key really, it doesn't matter who turns up in what cars as long as good track eitquette is communicated and understood and of course the folks taking part respect that.

scott.a

Post by scott.a » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:49 pm

Evoman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:54 am
Ah yes of course spectating isn't allowed yet. I think I'll see what is planned in September with SIDC and perhaps book for that day, meanwhile keep an eye out on the spectator situation at Knockers as I'm still curious what these days are like. I suppose the marshalling is key really, it doesn't matter who turns up in what cars as long as good track eitquette is communicated and understood and of course the folks taking part respect that.
There is a Tartan Tarmac one on the 14th that im doing. Its fully booked but there's a reserve list. Ive done two previously with them and they are pretty well run with a good selection of nice kit on track.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 pm

scott.a wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:49 pm
Evoman wrote:
There is a Tartan Tarmac one on the 14th that im doing. Its fully booked but there's a reserve list. Ive done two previously with them and they are pretty well run with a good selection of nice kit on track.
Thanks, I will take a look at that.

van cleef

Post by van cleef » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:59 am

I’ve done quite a few of the knockhill open pit days and the behaviour is pretty good and,I loved mixing it up a bit with a few eclectic cars. If you a full day one the track gets really quiet at times with only myself out there at some points.

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 pm

van cleef wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:59 am
I’ve done quite a few of the knockhill open pit days and the behaviour is pretty good and,I loved mixing it up a bit with a few eclectic cars. If you a full day one the track gets really quiet at times with only myself out there at some points.
I quite like the sound of a full KH day, as I feel that the usual mornings session is a little bit short. It would be nice to stop for lunch and catch up with everyone and then having an afternoon session too. :thumbsup

Is this just through the KH’s own website and how much does a full day normally cost?

Steve.

rgordonw

Post by rgordonw » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:52 am

Only one KH day left this year. Monday 14th September 10-5. Just booked it. 18 places left
Gordon

scott.a

Post by scott.a » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:13 am

scott.a wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:49 pm
Evoman wrote:
Some footage from Friday with an Evora 400 and an Exige V6.- https://youtu.be/k8g3CK3l1t0

Should have some footage of an S3 elise that i think is on here as well. Still need to go through the rest of the go-pro footage. This S3 was quick - must have been supercharged as i had nothing for it up the straights.

Photo of that one here - ETA @chunk Image

Chunk

Post by Chunk » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi Scott, cheers for the tag, Colin got some really good shots of my car. It’s a 20th anniversary so based on the supercharged elise, what about your s1? Seems to corner really flat and you can carry a lot more speed in the corners than me as I am standard suspension, brakes etc

If you have footage of when I passed and was in front of you feel free to send on to me to look at!!!