Atomic Turnip Tour - May Madness - Combe, Snett & Cadwell - 9/10/11

Strictly for tarmac whores
Andy G

Atomic Turnip Tour - May Madness - Combe, Snett & Cadwell - 9/10/11

Post by Andy G » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:07 am

So Baz and I have dreamt up a trackday trip to put around hopefully collecting my Atom 4!

Monday 9th Combe
Tuesday 10th Snett
Wednesday 11th Cadwell

I'll most likely head down on the Friday before this to deepest darkest Somerset to collect the Atom, take it for a blast, and get the running in service sorted, before it gets violated on the Monday.

Welcome to join chaps

Trackdays.co.uk was the source for the events

Booked

1. Andy G
2. Baz
Last edited by Andy G on Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

alicrozier

Re: May Madness - Combe, Snett & Cadwell - 9/10/11

Post by alicrozier » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:48 pm

Should be able to sort this out. Needs renamed to Atomic Turnip Tour...Proper job!
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

Andy G

Re: Atomic Turnip Tour - May Madness - Combe, Snett & Cadwell - 9/10/11

Post by Andy G » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:40 pm

So updates - Atom is delayed till May 18th, but we are still doing this trip.

Have booked hotels also if anyone is joining.

Taking the GT-R instead, and have just had the entire braking system - well should be this week.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Thu May 12, 2022 9:36 am

well we didnt collect the Atom but what a bloody tremendous trip!

It was nice to be back at Combe, although a circuit that had seemed big in my S1 seemed tiny in the AMG as it devoured the straights, and through T1 down to T2 was hitting 155 before breaking - which was interesting! Used a spare set of wheels with R888s instead of destroying the Cup 2s, and loved them. Really easy to read the slides from understeer to oversteer, although lots of tyre noise!

Then to Snetterton - bit of a ballache of a drive, and avoid the Best Western Brome Grange at all costs! It was horrific.

Circuit itself was great. One of the boys sponsors Rory Butcher so they had him along to coach, which was tremendous fun. Really interesting seeing Rorys lines, and he was in great form. Highlight of the day was the Marshall coming to give Arif a bollocking for circuit limits, and then spotting Rory. "I should have bloody known - Mr Butchers lines are quite interesting" !

More Atoms at a trackday than I can ever recall, which just teased the fact that mine isnt ready till its done its SVA test on the 18th..... but enjoyed chasing them down. Again Merc was mighty and new brakes absolutely superb but needed TC off to ensure they weren't getting used when I wasnt on the pedal.

Quite a lot of muppets, so really dubious driving standards, so big red flags and some fortunate avoidance manoeuvres from the boys saw everyone leaving in one piece apart the 7 which decided its prop shaft had outlived its welcome.

Onwards to Cadwell, and truly thankless drive - 2.5 hours to do 98 miles. Traffic was sh*t, roads likewise as little overtaking opportunity.

Best Western Kenwick Park continues to be redone, and is now stunning. Baz got the takeaways in and a few pints were had.

Cadwell, well at least they opened the track. (out of time for now!)
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Thu May 12, 2022 11:45 am

Cadwell was damp. If you'd had a canoe you'd have been setting the pace. A quick change from R888 back to Cup2s (that well known wet tyre) and out I went investigating grip levels. The 211 on its wets was immense, but the rain became so heavy even it was starting to have issues aquaplaning down the back straight.

So after various outings, by 130 people were packing up and heading off, with the forecast showing zero chance of improving and the rain getting progressively heavier.

5 people stuffed their cars in to various barriers during the day, including for the second time this trip someone on a sighting lap!!! There are some special people out there, and apparently day release with crash helmets on means they attend trackdays. The first one was an RS3 in the dry at Snetterton! (how is that even possible?)

A pretty dull drive home was brightened by a tremendous jaunt up the Coldstream road off the A1, and then some random back roads bringing me out at Duns. More Lotus roads then Merc, but just what was needed to break the tedium of driving north, and make the last 90 minutes seem like about 15!

So conclusions - Snet is still full of Neds and ropey driving standards (at least 10 driving standards reminders over the tannoy), LOT are still the best trackdays as Golding will batter anyone driving like a twat, avoid BW Brome Grove unless you like murder scenes, and get out on track again soon, as its very dull this morning getting back to reality.........

Fantastic to have more new faces with us also.
AMG GT-R
Atom 4
Lotus Esprit S4S
G30 M5 Comp

C7Steve

Post by C7Steve » Thu May 12, 2022 5:43 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do a write up Andy. :thumbsup

I cannot believe how anyone can come off track on the sighting laps though. :shock:

“Day release with crash helmets” :lol:

Steve.

baz111r

Post by baz111r » Sat May 14, 2022 7:02 pm

Andy G wrote:Cadwell was damp. If you'd had a canoe you'd have been setting the pace. A quick change from R888 back to Cup2s (that well known wet tyre) and out I went investigating grip levels. The 211 on its wets was immense, but the rain became so heavy even it was starting to have issues aquaplaning down the back straight.

So after various outings, by 130 people were packing up and heading off, with the forecast showing zero chance of improving and the rain getting progressively heavier.

5 people stuffed their cars in to various barriers during the day, including for the second time this trip someone on a sighting lap!!! There are some special people out there, and apparently day release with crash helmets on means they attend trackdays. The first one was an RS3 in the dry at Snetterton! (how is that even possible?)

A pretty dull drive home was brightened by a tremendous jaunt up the Coldstream road off the A1, and then some random back roads bringing me out at Duns. More Lotus roads then Merc, but just what was needed to break the tedium of driving north, and make the last 90 minutes seem like about 15!

So conclusions - Snet is still full of Neds and ropey driving standards (at least 10 driving standards reminders over the tannoy), LOT are still the best trackdays as Golding will batter anyone driving like a twat, avoid BW Brome Grove unless you like murder scenes, and get out on track again soon, as its very dull this morning getting back to reality.........

Fantastic to have more new faces with us also.
Brilliantly sums up the week !!!
Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk