Knockhill - whats going on??

Strictly for tarmac whores
jj

Post by jj » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:01 pm

This coming season I too will be doing the CE nights (assuming they are still a go, brunty has been pretty quiet of late?) as they will be easiest for me to get to and the ones last year were a good crowd and pricing etc.
A fiver or a tenner per track day is not going to make any serious difference to anyone who tracks their car so I can't actually see it putting many people off.
But, a fiver or tenner the other way (i.e. less) may put more poeple ON to the idea. KH obviously know their operating costs and break evens so who are we to guess whether more or less people would do it at a higher / lower price.

Daveb

Post by Daveb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:10 pm

simon wrote:The point is if that's what they need to charge to pay the bills then they have to do it. It's not as if KH's exactly rolling in money is it?
I think you'd be suprised.

It seems to me the price has come about partly because of the track upgrade and likely because of the 'team gimp' videos driving up insurance prices. So we have to pay another £10 more and the Hot Hatch prices stay the same?
:?

GregR

Post by GregR » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:19 pm

its becoming a circular arguement:

bills go up, prices go up. Prices go up (danger of) less people turning up, ergo - bills don't get paid

Bills go up, prices freeze or (drop a touch), more people turn up; ergo bills get paid.
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

GregR

Post by GregR » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:38 pm

think there's a guy on selc*ck doing those for 450 a set in S1 sizes mate :)
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

GregR

Post by GregR » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:16 pm

d'oh talking from the out pipe again, there's a b-b for Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Alloys £450.

apologies :oops:
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

~ ~ Cal ~ ~

Post by ~ ~ Cal ~ ~ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:12 pm

I still have my Hot Marques "passport" which I faithfully produce @ Kh days. It's a shame that they just look at it with mild disinterest as if to say "nice one".

What it ought to be ( the passport) is some sort of PC based system where black flags, spins etc get logged to aid there safety management YET the holder receives discounts and loyalty discounts

Fait enough if they "can" the idea but they ought to at leat communicate why is was ditched or try and improve it ....

As for prices, I'm sorta with Simon here. Anything less the £90 for 4 hrs is good value. 2 hr sessions for me are a waste of time having had to travel from ABZ.

What we ought to bear in mind is that we still enjoy the open pit policy and the fact that they have not (yet ?) been too strict w.r.t showboating and skilled executions ( e.g drifting on purpose @ hairpin).
This is a good thing ! and they do manage lame driving fairly well IMO.

Besides, it's the only track we have to be fair so it's kinda like the post office........use it or lose it

Just me 2p's worth

Cal
Das Über Barge - Volvo XC90 ( 3 kids spec)
Bachelor Spec - Mk6 GTi (Manual)

Brunty

Post by Brunty » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 pm

Hello! I am still around, it's just winter - and I'm hibernating...

Yes, I can get Compo's Paul.

And I'm currently thinking about running trackdays next/this season. Just the prices going up has made me think about it first :) Seems like a current topic that...

Brunty
"I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think unicorns are kick ass[/url]

~ ~ Cal ~ ~

Post by ~ ~ Cal ~ ~ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:59 pm

Like your mullet Brunty :wink: - business at the front and party at the back :lol:
Das Über Barge - Volvo XC90 ( 3 kids spec)
Bachelor Spec - Mk6 GTi (Manual)

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:14 am

~ ~ Cal ~ ~ wrote:been too strict w.r.t showboating and skilled executions ( e.g drifting on purpose @ hairpin).
:shock: :P :lol:
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:51 pm

I've been given a list of dates and prices for KH events for 2007. Prices for track hire have indeed gone up quite a bit (over 10%) since last year.

For the SIDC events, we'll do our very best to keep the prices as low as possible. We've largely managed to keep the price rises under control these past few years by allowing a few more people participating on each event to swallow some of the increases, but I feel we've reached the limit of this now. We could run more cars to lower prices, but that could lead to queuing in the pit lane, and a more crowded track during most of the event.

As most of you know, our events are run very close to break even (we divide the cost of track hire, instructor and wheel/tyre van) by a number of participants (usually 45 these days, used to be about 38 to 40), and that's the cost of the event. We permit a few more taking part to cover our costs for credit card charges (about 4%) and short notice cancellations (we give credits for future events if you can't make it).

Our first event will be on Saturday 10th March this year from 9am to 1pm. It will be priced at £80 for SIDC members, and £85 for non-members. Details will be in the club shop soon.

The later events will be at full "summer" rates, so will be about 10% higher than this :(

The big advantage that some of the other tracks down south have, is that they are considerably longer, and can run with more cars on track without crowding, and subsequently have more cars taking part in an event. E.g. at Cadwell Park, it is not uncommon to have 80+ cars taking part in an all day event, though there's a limit of about 30 cars on track at any time. This does mean that there will be some queuing to get on track, but generally on full day events, most people tend to have long breaks between stints on track and waiting 5 minutes or so to get on isn't an issue.

In the past, I've attended many events further south, (Robin will remember us even doing Brands Hatch once!), but the costs have become more prohibitive for me (personally) and I'm guessing many others. You are looking at say £200 in fuel (for an Impreza remember ;)) to get there and back, plus what you'll use on track, £35 - £80 for somewhere to sleep for the night (sometimes x2 if it's a longer drive - don't want to risk an 8 hour drive home after a tiring track event), £150 - £250 to take part in the event, £100+ for insurance if you aren't covered by an existing policy, £50 for food and drink (you can get somewhat thirsty after an event ;)) Typically it also involves taking one or two days holidays out your annual entitlement as well (more loss of brownie points with the family!), as one of the days down/back is likely to be a weekday.

Adding it all up, then you are looking at £500 - £700 for 7 hours track time (9 - 5 with a 1 hour break for lunch). Probably not too much different to the cost of going to The Ring/Spa etc for a day or two, and I'd much rather do that :D

Putting it into perspective, a 4 hour session at KH for £80 - £90 isn't too bad value when you can drive there and back on the same day, but it can be bl**dy cold at times :D

John

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:37 pm

John, I'd far rather pay the same money for an SIDC day over a HM day, due to things generally being better organised :wink:

Excellent work as usual - much appreciated 8)
JohnStewart wrote:but it can be bl**dy cold at times :D
Keeps us open-toppers awake :lol:
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

kenny

Post by kenny » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:49 pm

rossybee wrote:John, I'd far rather pay the same money for an SIDC day over a HM day, due to things generally being better organised :wink:
:withstupid

SIDC pricing has always been good value for money, especially having Wheelsaround in attendence. I have used them several times at trackdays now and its brilliant having them there.

Overall Knockhills pricing scheme isnt too bad, it just infuriates me sometimes when you pay your money and turn up to find there are cones all over the track or massive tyre walls to destroy any car that gets it a bit wrong. As long as they cut out the daft ideas I'll happily pay whatever they want.
Last edited by kenny on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mac

Post by mac » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:06 pm

:withstupid :withstupid

mac

ed

Post by ed » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:48 pm

:withstupid <BG>
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:03 am

:withstupid

one of the reasons, besides cost, i havent actually been on track with my own car yet..... :roll:

Its the freedom that is the buzz i perceive....cones....strange!! :scratch
S2 Exige - sold
Boggo 911 (997)
1998 VW Passata 1.9TDI - Vroooom...