The Photographers Q&A

Show us your pictures and videos
graeme

Re: The Photographers Q&A

Post by graeme » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:23 am

smee wrote:Canon L series 24-70 f2.8 0f 24-105 f4 IS?
Well, I just wrote a big paragraph about how the 24-70 was the winner for me, but really it was all personal preference stuff and at the end of the day it's your choice. Here are the facts:

The 24-70 is a 1kg beast with a MASSIVE lens hood which you cannot leave at home on sunny days, but you get used to the sore shoulder if not the staring.
The image quality is better on the 24-70, but both have the L stamp so you're not going to be throwing away many images because of either glass, and neither are up to L-prime level.
The f2.8 on the 24-70 was the winner for me. Much much much nicer backgrounds if that's your thing. The 24-70 f2.8 bokeh is as creamy as it gets.
On a 5D you might want the extra reach of the 24-105 (I use mine on a 7D for now, so crop factor helps)
On a 5D you will get superb low-light performance at higher ISOs, so I would say to hell with IS and go for f.28 instead.

I'd offer you a loan of my 24-70, but I'm not in the UK at the moment, sorry. :(
smee wrote:A friend of a friend works for Canon and has suggested that the 5dMk111 is coming in March,
Dear Santa,

Please can I have a Canon body with all the new features of the 7D plus the full-frame sensor and excellent low-light performance from the 5dMkII.

Thanks,
Every canon photographer in the world.

I suspect your friend is correct. I can't wait. :D

flat-planedCrank

Post by flat-planedCrank » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:20 pm

graeme wrote: Dear Santa,

Please can I have a Canon body with all the new features of the 7D plus the full-frame sensor and excellent low-light performance from the 5dMkII.

Thanks,
Every canon photographer in the world.
Sounds like a top idea :D Though I fear it will be called the 1Ds mkIV and cost £4.5k-£5k, doh.

Mr Momo

Post by Mr Momo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:46 pm

Love my 24-105 for it's allround handiness, but I do find it a bit short sometimes (not very often).
Emira - Volvo spec
A1 S-Line - Dennis the Menace spec

JohnStewart

Post by JohnStewart » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:24 am

smee wrote:Canon L series 24-70 f2.8 0f 24-105 f4 IS?

A friend of a friend works for Canon and has suggested that the 5dMk111 is coming in March, probably not that reliable as a source but it's got me thinking.
Should I go for the heavier and more expensive 24-70? I like the idea of the f2.8 and expect better image quality with the shorter focal range but it is a beast. Or will the longer focal range, lighter weight and image stabilisation of the 24-105 be better? I have a 70-200L and will be getting a 17-40L when I take the leap. Of course there may be a new lens by then to throw a spanner in the works as Canon have been releasing several upgraded L lenses recently.
I would be grateful for any opinions from people who have used these lenses.

Thanks folks
Just noticed this question. I've got both the 17-40 and 24-105 if you want to borrow any of them to try before you buy. The 24-70 is a lovely piece of kit, but it's considerably heavier and couldn't really be considered an all day walkabout lens. My 24-105 lives on the camera 90% of the time and if I ever travel and can only take one lens, then this is the one as the 17-40 just isn't long enough.

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 am

Q. Can anyone recommend a novice/budget camera? Maybe a 'bridge' type?

Just started researching but looking at something that will give good point and shoot for a total novice but offer some flexibility for learning/experimenting. Being honest, not expecting to be able to invest the time to justify a DSLR.

Usage would be general snaps and holidays but also action shots at sports (touch rugby) and trackdays so thinking a good optical zoom... Around £300 all in is top of the budget.

Maybe this? Fujifilm Finepix HS10
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... /show.html

or could I get what we need in a more compact package?

Cheers,
Ali
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

smee

Post by smee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:54 pm

For that money you cannot go wrong with a Canon S95. I have sleepless nights about this camera wondering whether I should have bought this and saved £200 rather than buy the Leica. Bigger sensor size than most compacts and full manual control which is very intuative on the control ring. Good low light so lower image noise for a camera this size and much more pocketable than most so you're more likely to take it out with you. Not got a massive zoom range but pics are croppable.

If I was spending £300 I'd get this, just my 2p (that's all I have)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... /Show.html
S1 Elise - LRG MMC
Exige 390 LRG
GR Yaris
Leighton T6.1

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Thanks smee, S95 is way over budget though when you consider all in. Also don't think cropping will be enough considering it's lack of zoom?

Had a play with a few today...HS10 still looking favourite, really liked the feel of it.
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:37 am

Lumix T series? HD video if the game? Iirc there is a funky LD casio that does high speed video. Think I am drifting though.
W213 All Terrain

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Okay - Sold my Olympus D-SLR...Enjoyed using it, and learnt a fair bit - But its low light performance / lack of options for glass were starting to become slightly limiting.

Moving mainstream, with a Canon or a Nikon body - Had a play with a friends 5D Mk2, which was awesome. But too expensive. :mrgreen:

Budgeting £700-1000 for the body - Narrowed it down to either:

5D Mk1 - Full frame, but perhaps not so good for low light /track day photography

or

1D Mk3 - Cropped, but 11fps and mega fast at focusing

Any opinions? :thumbsup

graeme

Post by graeme » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Do you already have any Canon fit lenses Ross, or do you know which ones you're planning to get? That might influence choice of sensor a bit. What will you use it for apart from trackdays?

I've never used a 5D Mk1 (some of the oldies might be able to tell you what it's like ;)) but the 5D Mk2 is the low-light high-ISO king, so maybe the Mk1 will not be as bad as you think? Full frame will always perform better than cropped at higher ISOs for an equivalent model year. Not sure how older full-frame compares to newer cropped though. Software is amazing, but you canna beat the laws of physics, captain!

I would also check out the 7D. Cropped sensor, but that makes filling the frame easier at trackday distances. 400mm on a 1.6x crop becomes 640mm equivalent, for example. It has all the latest AF (which is fantastic), and 8.9fps. All the good stuff you need for trackday work.

I can lend you a 7D if you want to try one, or meet you a KH event or something for a wee shotty.

Another consideration... the 5D Mk3 is sure to be along towards the end of this year, which will hopefully create a flood of cheap 2nd hand Mk2s onto ebay.

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Argh!

Wrote a long reply, and it disappeared... :evil:

I don't have any Canon fit lenses - I had something of an epiphany with regard to the Olympus kit. I'm intending investing some cash in glass, and the options are limited with the 4/3rds system (No Sigma / Tamron lenses). I elected to start anew, so I've sold all my Olympus kit, and will plump for a Canon. (Several friends use them, so opportunity to swap / borrow lenses exist).

The 7D gets a great write up, and I'd like to try one out - I may well take you up on your kind offer when I'm up in Scotland next. :mrgreen:

I loved the 5D Mk2 I borrowed - But it had £2k worth of Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II stuck on the front, which probably helped... :P

Only downside is 4 fps - No so good for action / sports.

The 1D Mk3 appeals - 10 fps and cast iron build. But old tech, and pretty bulky...

As for use - I moved to London 2 years back, so I do a lot of gig photography / out and about stuff. However, Brands is but an hour away, so I've been over for the Elise Trophy / BTCC.

Guess I want a jack of all trades - good low light performance (gigs / nights out), some scenery, and also fast enough for racing / track days etc.

Your post definitely has some food for though... :thumbsup

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:33 pm

I was looking at this and asked my photographer friend in NYC to pick it up for me. He is looking at alternatives as he informed me the glass was pump.

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-105 ... lenses.htm
W213 All Terrain

smee

Post by smee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:13 pm

If you are looking at 5d or 1d you're going to need to invest heavily in glass and the L series stuff is usually pretty expensive stuff (there are a few exceptions 70-200 f4 L etc).
If your overall budget is less than £2500 I'd look at the 7d, some of the efs lenses are pretty good without as much expense and the autofocus is superb even if it does take some getting used to and ISO performance is pretty good for a crop farme sensor.
S1 Elise - LRG MMC
Exige 390 LRG
GR Yaris
Leighton T6.1

Fluoxetine

Post by Fluoxetine » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:29 am

smee wrote:If you are looking at 5d or 1d you're going to need to invest heavily in glass and the L series stuff is usually pretty expensive stuff (there are a few exceptions 70-200 f4 L etc).
If your overall budget is less than £2500 I'd look at the 7d, some of the efs lenses are pretty good without as much expense and the autofocus is superb even if it does take some getting used to and ISO performance is pretty good for a crop farme sensor.
Cheers Andrew - I was under the impression that non-L series stuff will work on the pro bodies at a push? (i.e. lose functionality / performance, but corrections can be made in LR).

I'd probably look at the 70-200 f4L - And then get a cheapish non L prime. I know at least two people with 5D Mk2's, so scope for borrowing L lenses may exist... :wink:

(Also, there's option to hire the oddball stuff, like fisheyes / mega long focal length).

That said, the 7D probably does everything I need and more - I can pick up a brand new body for £1045, which is what I'd be paying for a 4 year old 1D Mk3 with 30K+ shutter actuations...(!)

No logic in my viewpoint, really -I just really like the idea of the 1D - A real Rolls Royce of a camera... :)

David Bryce

Post by David Bryce » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Tempted to give you my thoughts, but there is too much talk of Canon going on in this thread :roll:

(real men use Nikon :wink: :lol: )