The Photographers Q&A

Show us your pictures and videos
smee

Re: The Photographers Q&A

Post by smee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Wasn't available on website, I tried there first, I went back to get another one but was sold out at Inverurie. Imagine limited stock as nowhere else is anywhere near that price.

Good luck finding one.
S1 Elise - LRG MMC
Exige 390 LRG
GR Yaris
Leighton T6.1

~ ~ Cal ~ ~

Post by ~ ~ Cal ~ ~ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply - you have helped me nail an Xmas pressie already !
Das Über Barge - Volvo XC90 ( 3 kids spec)
Bachelor Spec - Mk6 GTi (Manual)

smee

Post by smee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Compact Camea Advise

Help gang I'm tearing my hair out hear and cannot make a decision and I was too geek for the guy in the camera shop in John Lewis.

Looking for a compact to go along side the rucsack full of crap I now carry , doesn't fit in elise boot! but dont want to compromise too much on image quality.
Options so far are
1) Canon s90 £320
2) Lumix DMC-LX3 £320
3) Canon G10 £340 (G11 too expensive £425)
4) 2nd hand Leica D LUX 4 £300 (£450 new)

1) canon loyal, s90 supposed to be G11 in smaller package without hotshoe attachment or viewfinder, reviews mixed, most complain o detal smearing
2) Lumix good but bulkier and silly lense cap with excellent wide angle but short range. Also footery controls. But looks nice and like control of photo size
3) G10 lots of fans but bulky and worried 14MP might be noisy on small sensor and defeats idea of compact but can use my flash and remote and lots of extras availale
4) Leica is same as LX3 but a lot more expensve but damn one day I want a camera with a little red dot even if it is a panasonic in disguise.

Anyway I'm stuck and grateful for any opions/suggestions that will help sway me, thanks
S1 Elise - LRG MMC
Exige 390 LRG
GR Yaris
Leighton T6.1

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 pm

I'd be plumping for the Leica, as long as it is in VGC, and then the Lumix - some of the new Lumix range are awesome! :wink: Then prob the G10.

Just my 2p! Ultimately, you have to hold them all and see which feels best, and you are more comfortable operating.

Dave
smee wrote:Compact Camea Advise

Help gang I'm tearing my hair out hear and cannot make a decision and I was too geek for the guy in the camera shop in John Lewis.

Looking for a compact to go along side the rucsack full of crap I now carry , doesn't fit in elise boot! but dont want to compromise too much on image quality.
Options so far are
1) Canon s90 £320
2) Lumix DMC-LX3 £320
3) Canon G10 £340 (G11 too expensive £425)
4) 2nd hand Leica D LUX 4 £300 (£450 new)

1) canon loyal, s90 supposed to be G11 in smaller package without hotshoe attachment or viewfinder, reviews mixed, most complain o detal smearing
2) Lumix good but bulkier and silly lense cap with excellent wide angle but short range. Also footery controls. But looks nice and like control of photo size
3) G10 lots of fans but bulky and worried 14MP might be noisy on small sensor and defeats idea of compact but can use my flash and remote and lots of extras availale
4) Leica is same as LX3 but a lot more expensve but damn one day I want a camera with a little red dot even if it is a panasonic in disguise.

Anyway I'm stuck and grateful for any opions/suggestions that will help sway me, thanks

DavieK

Post by DavieK » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:30 am

Only thing I'd say is not to go for the s90 due to its lack of viewfinder. Parents have a Pentax without one and its a bloody pain in sunny/bright weather as the screen just reflects.

dont know much about cameras so the above might be pointless or there might be some way around it :D

smee

Post by smee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks for the help guys,

went for the leica after a lot of consideration. Residuals was the clincher, all cameras basically very similar picture quality but the wider lens, better f values and superior raw software swung it. Lumix residuals were no good and canon s90 did not feel special enough and G10 was not pocketable enough and that had to be a major consideration. Also 3 year warranty for leica standard. So when I get bored off it I'll hopefully be able to get a chunk back.

Thanks again :thumbsup
S1 Elise - LRG MMC
Exige 390 LRG
GR Yaris
Leighton T6.1

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:42 am

Good call that man! Look forward to seeing the results!

Dave

DavieK

Post by DavieK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:38 pm

The boss has a Nikon D80 and loves the camera but hasn't had much time to mess about with it. Not long ago the 18-135 lens that came with it chucked its hand in (think its the auto focus motor in the lens itself). We are going to get this priced to get repaired but depending on what its going to cost might just plumb for a new lens.

So the question is ..... whats worth a look? and are other manufacturer's like Sigma worth a look rather than Nikons own?

Cheers

Davie on behalf of the Boss

mac

Post by mac » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:50 am

When I bought Mandy's Nikon DSLR at Christmas it was recommended that I went for sigma lenses.

I have to say I got great advice from Mechant City Camera's in Glagow (behind the Tron, previously known as Quiggs) and they stock new and second hand lenses.

Mac`
S2 Elise (cobalt blue with stripes) - toy spec
Caterham 7 - hillclimb spec
Yamaha Thundercat - 2 wheeled toy spec

r055

Post by r055 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:36 am

in my opinion (which may or may nor be right) id always sway towards the same lens manufacturer as the body.

that said, I have a canon with canon, sigma and tamron lenses! :scratch :lol:
Calypso Red S1 111s

cla5h

Post by cla5h » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:13 pm

mac wrote:I have to say I got great advice from Mechant City Camera's in Glagow (behind the Tron, previously known as Quiggs)
No interest in photography, so not sure why I looked at this thread, but owned by father of a friend since name change so good to hear you were impressed with the service.

flat-planedCrank

Post by flat-planedCrank » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:16 am

DavieK wrote:The boss has a Nikon D80 and loves the camera but hasn't had much time to mess about with it. Not long ago the 18-135 lens that came with it chucked its hand in (think its the auto focus motor in the lens itself). We are going to get this priced to get repaired but depending on what its going to cost might just plumb for a new lens.

So the question is ..... whats worth a look? and are other manufacturer's like Sigma worth a look rather than Nikons own?

Cheers

Davie on behalf of the Boss
Sigma makes some decent lenses, but its well worth reading some reviews to see if the model you are looking at is worth buying.
They also offer a number of unique lenses that don't have equivalents made by Nikon / Canon.

Their lenses can often be cheaper too - E.g. If you are looking for a 70-200mm f2.8 lens then Canon's is around £1000 (£1500 with stabilisation), Nikon's is around £2000 (with stabilisation), but Sigma's is around £660 (without stabilisation).

A good place for lens reviews is photozone.de - you want the Nikon (APS-C) section.
The reviews can be a little tech-heavy, but the conclusions on the final page usually do a decent job of summing up.

My own opinion :) If you find a well regarded Nikon lens and its within budget, go for it :D They certainly make some awesome kit

Cheers.

DavieK

Post by DavieK » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 pm

thanks for the replies

not seen the photozone site before so passed it onto the better half for her to read up on :thumbsup

smee

Post by smee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Canon L series 24-70 f2.8 0f 24-105 f4 IS?

A friend of a friend works for Canon and has suggested that the 5dMk111 is coming in March, probably not that reliable as a source but it's got me thinking.
Should I go for the heavier and more expensive 24-70? I like the idea of the f2.8 and expect better image quality with the shorter focal range but it is a beast. Or will the longer focal range, lighter weight and image stabilisation of the 24-105 be better? I have a 70-200L and will be getting a 17-40L when I take the leap. Of course there may be a new lens by then to throw a spanner in the works as Canon have been releasing several upgraded L lenses recently.
I would be grateful for any opinions from people who have used these lenses.

Thanks folks
S1 Elise - LRG MMC
Exige 390 LRG
GR Yaris
Leighton T6.1

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Having recently shelled out quite a lot of coin on a Nikon 24-70 f2.8 as a totally extravagant gift to myself, I cannot rate it highly enough! My D90 needed a battery grip to even out the weight, as it is a quality bit of kit, way too good for me! Awesome lens which has made my 50mm almost redundant and also my 10-20 if I am honest.. The 24-70 is a permanent feature! :thumbsup