Porsche YouDrive Trip

Show us your pictures and videos
douglasgdmw

Porsche YouDrive Trip

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks to Murray's we managed to make the Porsche YouDrive trip that I got for Sandra's xmas.

The whole run up to the event was an absolute nightmare. We had the car booking in for the service/clutch replacement for during our Goodwood FoS trip at an independant. The car was then MOT'd by Murray's who noticed an oil leak - this was where the fun started (which I will not go into here) :D Thankfully Gary @ Murray's did a sterling job and we picked the car up at the last hour in preparation for our trip down to Oakham (stoping off at relatives).

Had the YouDrive experience booked for the Saturday and turned up to find a big variety of cars: Merc Estates, Austin Mini, Jag E-Type and number of Porsche's. Even better being an absolute cracking day and forgetting that the car did not have any Aircon so it was old racing tactics to keep cool:

The event comprised of:
Classroom session with VBH
Ice Climb
Kick Plate
Human Performance
new Porsche 911 Driving experience
(URL: http://www.porsche.com/silverstone/en/e ... /youdrive/)

Definitely recommend this to anyone as the experience Sandra had on the Ice Climb/Kick Plate was really beneficial to experience her car moving around in a safe controlled environment. Also happy that us oldies managed to perform well on the Human Performance with both of us managing a decent score on the Battax (human performance machine where you have to hit a random buttons based upon your peripheral vision)

Luckily for me (and Brandon) Sandra did not like the new 911 so the order for the Exige V6 stays :D

We both had a great day and excellent lunch. So it was a couple of snaps before heading back to Edinburgh.

Eventually in Scotland:
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

Dominic

Re: Porsche YouDrive Trip

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Looks like a great trip! I think your Porsche looks the business too! :thumbsup
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Dominic wrote:Looks like a great trip! I think your Porsche looks the business too! :thumbsup
Cheers Dom,

Still needing a bit of work to get things sorted out, with older cars it a very long list that is ever growing. Next years plans are hopefully:
Targa Top Seals
Side/Bonnet Seals
Leather Refurbishment
Possible HID front lights conversion

Sure there will be other things that will rear their head as things go on :roll:

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:58 pm

douglasgdmw wrote: Cheers Dom,

Still needing a bit of work to get things sorted out, with older cars it a very long list that is ever growing.
I know that feeling,... I own an S1 :lol:

The list always seems to be a constantly moving target; as some things get ticked off, other things get added. It's a nice feeling when you can start on the cosmetic list.
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

dirkpitt

Post by dirkpitt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:10 pm

humm as porsches go that's a beauty :thumbsup ...what year and type george?
captian james t kirk-i am sorry i cant hear you, over the sound of how awesome i am-

1998 Audi Elige s1-1.8t 20v

05 Exige S2 - stage 2- Piperx VIS induction

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:31 pm

It's a model year 1990 964 Carrera 2 (although registered in 91). Pretty standard fare with a couple of upgrades according to the VIN.

The 964 can come in Carrera 2 & 4 wheel drive (Tiptronic and Manual) with normally aspirated (3.6 & 3.8 )and turbo. The one to go for is the 964 RS but they start at £60-70K!!! More info on the model range is here: http://www.964uk.com/html/main.htm

The car does look much better in the distanceas there are a couple of dings on the car which we will eventually try to get out (it is over 20 years after all), however I am a bit of a perfectionist :wink:

We have had it since March last year and have already spent a small fortune on, such is the fun with old cars (and my lack of mechanical knowledge):
- Full Engine Service with new clutch (an ouch inducing £2k due to engine having to come out)
- New Suspension (KW V1 Suspension)
- Targa top clips (£300 from Porsche for 2 little attachements!!)
- Respray on the front wings, bonnet and rear bumper
- Replacement oil filler, housing and rubber hose (parts alone came to £800)

Although it sounds a lot, we managed to get a pre purchase inspection done and there is not much else that needs to be done compared to what we listed above. The cars not depreciating so probably helps to justify the high upkeep :D

However I have seen some guys on the 911forum which make ours look like a wreck.

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW