North Coast 500

Show us your pictures and videos
Bobby

North Coast 500

Post by Bobby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:54 pm

Did the North Coast 500 (and then some!) in the Elise last week. Car didn't miss a beat, but some of the squeaks and rattles getting a bit much towards the end, particularly the creaking allegedly from the fuel tank, which clearly isn't going to get better with time!

Photos here if anyone cares for a look! :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robert_an ... 8011997173

Bobby
"Bug" 2015 Elise 220 Cup, Toxic Green (2bular)
2009 Audi S3 (Milltek, MTM, VW Racing), Velvet Purple
Previously: 2004 Elise 111S, Aubergine Purple

duggiesmith

Re: North Coast 500

Post by duggiesmith » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Great pics Bobby.
Fantastic scenery and some lovely roads.
I'm just back from a week in Skye, so would have been on some of your route (Edinburgh - Kyle of Lochalsh). Some great roads on Skye too.
Duggie

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't.

Aubergine Elise S

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:00 pm

Great pics, thanks for sharing!
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:54 pm

duggiesmith wrote:Great pics Bobby.
Fantastic scenery and some lovely roads.
I'm just back from a week in Skye, so would have been on some of your route (Edinburgh - Kyle of Lochalsh). Some great roads on Skye too.
Yes, Skye's lovely (saw your photos in the other thread)! Been up that way before, but just with the Audi. Have you tried the seafood restaurant on the station platform at Kyle of Lachalsh? It's excellent!

I think if I was doing a similar trip again, I'd spend more time (I was too rushed in sightseeing), and maybe just focus on the West Coast, which was best scenery and driving.

Glad I managed to just miss the several motorhomes that had ignored the "don't take large vehicles" signs over Bealach na Ba while stopped to look at the views. One of those roads that would be a great driving road if it was closed to other traffic and you could treat it like a hill-climb track! Worth it for the scenery anyway mind!
"Bug" 2015 Elise 220 Cup, Toxic Green (2bular)
2009 Audi S3 (Milltek, MTM, VW Racing), Velvet Purple
Previously: 2004 Elise 111S, Aubergine Purple

duggiesmith

Post by duggiesmith » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Not been to the restaurant at Kyle, but I did manage a visit to The Three Chimneys on Skye 8)
The west coast definitely does it for me. Stunning roads and scenery. Just a shame about all the motorhomes (I'm expecting a letter any day now after overtaking a convoy of them on a straight, only to notice a scam van half way through - too late to back out :evil: )
Duggie

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up and those that can't.

Aubergine Elise S

IanD

Post by IanD » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:46 pm

Three Chimneys, nice ! Did you enjoy it ? As a special meal this year thought about there but doing an overnight later in the year at Peat Inn with friends instead.

On a different level, we found the food at Applecross Inn really good, the food and availability of a wigwam was the main reason for our overnight there rather than the roads. The Inn was packed, I wasn't complaining though as we sat outside in the sunshine waiting having a few pints of Skye real ale before we could get a table.

My wife and I did a 5 day trip doing overnights in Edinbane (Skye), Applecross then 2 nights at Achmelvich.
Only had 2 major instances of being stuck behind cars on single track in 5 days driving, must have been behind each for 5 miles or more. Apart from that only got hacked off at 2 campervans in convoy nearing Ullapool, driving about 30mph not pulling in and the 15 odd cars behind them not overtaking so did the lot in 3 major passes, my wife wasn't too amused but needs must.

My pics aren't anything as composed as yours and since non Lotus content will only post a couple.

Pass Bealach na Bà
Reasonably quiet on the pass and thankfully no campers, managed to remain a bit below cloud level, it was freezing at the top though, must have been only a few degrees.

Applecross village

Our accomodation in Applecross
Basic wigwam with electric power, a heater, floor mats and a bench inside but good enough and the campsite was friendly and relaxed.

Achmelvich
In homage to SE camping managed to keep my wife on the beach until a bit past midnight, smaller fire, less beers, no swimming and just the two of us.

White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

istoo

Post by istoo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:10 pm

loving the 968

I have done bits of this, not for a long long time. though. add to my list of 'sh*t to do this year'
S2 111s

martins

Post by martins » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Bobby. Did you go clockwise or anticlockwise? Did you book accommodation or just turn up on spec?

Looking at 4 weeks of extended leave starting Wednesday....A few days could be spent doing the NC500...

Martin
Exige 240 (Gone but not forgotten and will be replaced)
Mini Cooper (wife spec)
BMW dog wagon

Kinger

Post by Kinger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:24 pm

martins wrote:Bobby. Did you go clockwise or anticlockwise? Did you book accommodation or just turn up on spec?

Martin
Man up and take a tent !!!! :mrgreen:

IanD

Post by IanD » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:45 pm

I think a lot of accomodation is fully booked, I know Applecross Inn said a lot of next summer is getting booked really early. From what I saw on the western part route of NC500 I did, the majority of B&B showed no vacancies.
As mentioned camping is the answer, Alchmelvich have a no booking policy, we will fit you in
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

martins

Post by martins » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:15 am

Man up and take a tent !!!! :mrgreen:
Tent is being purchased. Little 2 man job for me and the dog (Hugo - Fox terrier...not my wife).

Not quite sure when this is going to happen. Would like to wait for the weather to improve but I cannot wait until 2017. Most likely do this 12th - 15th August but maybe earlier. Work will determine this.

Achmelvich will definitely be one of the overnight stops.

Planning on doing Aberdeen to the north coast in a single hop with overnight in Durness, Achmelvich and Applecross before heading back to Aberdeen. Might do it other way around but fancy anti clockwise as have spend a fair bit of time on the east of the country up there and the scenery will improve as the days go by. I will also do the Bealach na Bà in both directions as I should have the time....

If anyone fancies coming along feel free, but please note that with Shug (Hugo the dog not the other Shug) in the pax seat speeds will remain relatively low..

M
Mini Cooper (wife spec)
BMW dog wagon

graeme

Post by graeme » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:35 am

It only takes 2 days to do from Aberdeen. 1 overnight stop, even doing the pass in both directions. I did it clockwise and if I was doing it again, I'd turn round at Thurso and head back and do the west coast bit again. Thurso to Inverness is a complete waste of time.

mxvx

Post by mxvx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:52 am

Agree Graeme
Tongue > Lairg > Bonar bridge is alright too

captain

Post by captain » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:32 pm

mxvx wrote:Agree Graeme
Tongue > Lairg > Bonar bridge is alright too
Yeah that's a great bit of road :thumbsup

martins

Post by martins » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Did this in the pouring rain a few weeks back. In a tent with the dog. Had a superb time and would recommend to anyone to do. Finished off with Kyle of Lochalsh to Aberdeen in a little over 3 hours.....
Mini Cooper (wife spec)
BMW dog wagon