Honda Elise/Exige Revision 2

Show us your pictures and videos
RobinK86

Honda Elise/Exige Revision 2

Post by RobinK86 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Good Afternoon all,

Been lurking around here for a while and after reading Stratosboy’s build thread figured I should get mine up.

I have owned the car around 12 years now and after a track day and Brands Hatch i embarked on a Honda conversion using the Stark Kit.

After running this spec for the past 8 years lockdown prompted me to fix the niggles i had following the conversion and also convert to an Exige

Washed ready to go into the garage

Was never happy with the engine wiring as it was a temporary job that was never tidied up! Had Rywire tucked loom built and pulled out the old honda loom!

After looking at the nice Rywire loom decided that the rest of the chassis loom was a cut and shut so ripped out!

Laid out on a board

New loom partiallly built

One thing I always struggled with was the over efficient cooling system and never got the car really up to temp (used to hover around 65-70 C) so removed the mechanical water pump and installed a blanking plate with a Electric Water pump.

To make the loom easier I am going down the route of a PDM, Digital dash & Canbus Keyboard

Next up was to cut the firewall to allow a larger manifold and potentially ITB’s in the future, thanks Dan on here for the new bulkhead

I think that is about where I am I will add more in the coming weeks as it should start to go back together soon!

stratosboy

Re: Honda Elise/Exige Revision 2

Post by stratosboy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:13 pm

Great to see Robin, I'll follow with interest. Your electrical skills are very impressive, mine are non-existent!
So you've had the Honda conversion done for a while and now making some modifications to it.
Did you upgade brakes and suspension?, if so, which way did you go with those?
What colour will you paint it when the Exige clams go on?

RobinK86

Post by RobinK86 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 pm

Lots of trial and error on the electrics, the PDM makes it a lot easier just run power and ground to everything! Hoping to save a bit of weight.

I converted about 8 years ago now was a DIY job and as always there are improvements to be made. Brakes are standard with Paige pads no need to upgrade for the N/A in my view, I do plan to change the rear callipers to separate the handbrake out as I’ve found the brembo’s unreliable.

Suspension is a set of Nitrons had these a while and they work well no plans to change them,

Unsure of colour always wanted a Scandal Green but we will see.

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 pm

Great read.

Scandal Green is the right answer.

Or Chrome Orange
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

hendeg

Post by hendeg » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:35 pm

The bundle of wires reminds me of Mike's Elise 260 rebuild - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33620
Exige GT

RobinK86

Post by RobinK86 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Thanks all, will have a read of the 111R rebuild at some point.

A little bit more progress last night

Custom coolant swirl pot and over flow

And first power up of the Dash

Forward plan is to get the cooling system mocked up in its entirety then I can fix the location of the EWP so the new fuel tank can be installed

RobinK86

Post by RobinK86 » Sat May 22, 2021 10:53 pm

Bit more progress

Wiring 95% complete

Coolant system mocked up with intake and exhaust fitted

RobinK86

Post by RobinK86 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:41 am

Not the most exciting update as wiring is a invisible thankless task 😂.

Finally got it all mocked up and in working through everything now and mocked up the dash, will neaten up the interior wiring once i have checked everything works.

Also mocked up the exhaust. Oil Ines are complete, coolant lines should be complete this week and then fuel lines and I should be ready to start it.

Have the car booked in for paint on the 9th Sept and just ordered the exige clams so need to get a wriggle on

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:14 pm

looking good
"Here for a good time not a long time"

RobinK86

Post by RobinK86 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:16 pm

Bit of an update managed to start the car so my wiring works! Didn’t take a video as it had no filter etc so was hunting got a k-pro base map on it for now.

More excitingly my clams arrived from Dom currently going through the fitting process now but considering I laid these on the car 30 mins after delivery the fit is already very good.

Got a bit excited and fitted the rear lights, wont be running OEM reverse or fogs as they willl be cut out to help with heat so Elise parts LED’s were the best option

stratosboy

Post by stratosboy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:34 pm

looking great Robin, Dom's body kit looks very well made.