Evo yesterday at KH

Anything goes in here.....
Scotty C
Meat

Evo yesterday at KH

Post by Scotty C » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:28 pm

Got an invite to KH yesterday by Mitsubishi as they were having a EVO day. Not that I have a EVO ( but do like them) but we spent 70k with them last week on 3 x L200.

Just the usual turn up bacon rolls, intro thing. The format was track with instructor in the new FQ-360, then play in other cars EVO 8 300 and a old EVO 6, autotest in the car park as you go in on the right in the 300 and 360, 4 x 4 in Shogun SWB off road course, stop for lunch ( got something nice to eat at KH) same again in the afternoon but you would get awarder points by a instructor in the pax on track and off road in the shogun and point for your time in the autotest.

Well I have never driven any kind of performance 4 door and was well impressed with them performance and handling of all the EVO's. Suspension and brakes are much the same in most models its just the power that's the difference.

I liked driving the 300 as it was well within my limits and started getting it sideways, but the 360 just had so much power/torque that I was caught out a few times especially down duffus (flat out) and going thru the chicane. Its not so much the power its the weight of the car and the momentum it carries into the corners that catches you(me) out . Had a ball all the same and think I must have put in a few laps in the 62's.

Well all went well and at the end it went to a open pit lane for about a hour. Think there must have been 20 or so drivers with there cars and another 15 or so of us that had to share the 5 demo cars.

Got talking to a guy from Aberdeen who took me out in his FQ-400 (only 100 made and cost £45k) what a toy, and with most of the power/torque at the top end it loved to be thrashed :o). on the way round I give him a few pointers etc (track novice) and he starts to go a bit quicker. We pull into the pits and he jumps out and says "on you go you drive". I was a bit apprehensive as this was this guys pride and joy. 5 or so laps later we come back in. Quote from the owner "I cana believe my car can go that hill (duffus)so fast " he was well chuffed and I had a grin from ear to ear.

I then take my brand new (300miles on the clock) L200 out for a few laps. It was soooooo slow. If only I could have switched of the ESP (I think that's what it was) it would have been a laugh, but it kept cutting in as soon as the thing got out of shape, just as well maybe. I managed a 1.25 lap not bad for a 2.5 ton 176bhp pick up.

Was not expecting it but got awarded the main prize "overall driver of the day" ( even thou one of the instructors on the track said I spent more time on the grass then Bob Marley) I was well chuffed. Got a nice glass trophy too.

Also there was a special guest there Robbie someone ( I am murder with names) he does the rally commentating on the TV, but is also a ex-driver? he was taking people out for pax laps in a old (EVO 6) rally car with gravel tyres on. What a hoot I would love to be able to swing the back end the wrong way under braking and then swing it round the other way and go round the corner sideway with all 4 wheels spinning. It was fine at the hairpin, but going down duffus sideways and then whipping it the other way was a real thrill great talent.

Scotty
"Here for a good time not a long time"

ed

Post by ed » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:39 pm

Quality write up, sounds like you had a blast! :twisted:

/jealous as fcuk faction
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

alicrozier

Post by alicrozier » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:22 pm

Nice one Scotty. :)
Did you not take the 340?
:flame

Driver would have been Robbie Head.
All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Any references to laptimes, speed or driving on the public highway are purely for dramatic effect.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:24 pm

Nice one Scotty.
Great being able to hammer round someone elses toys.

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:22 pm

alicrozier wrote:Nice one Scotty. :)
Did you not take the 340?
:flame

It was raining when I left ABZ, As G said nice to drive someone elses car and hand the keys back?

Driver would have been Robbie Head.
Really nice guy, sat next to him at lunch.

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Scotty

Was just about to post something clever...........but I have just noticed Shoomers AVATAR :sex

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:07 pm

IAINBOAG wrote:Scotty

Was just about to post something clever...........but I have just noticed Shoomers AVATAR :sex
About time you changed your AVATAR. what you doing on here anyway were you not allowed onto Porkie.com
:lol:

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:00 pm

Scotty,

Glad to see another SE'r has seen the light. The Evo is a fantastic car to drive and would compare it to Elise like handling in a 4 door format.

I just cannot believe that so many people go for the Scooby's when in my mind the Evo is so much better to drive.

Would have loved a shot in an FQ-360, great review.

Cheers
DMW

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:18 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:Scotty,

Glad to see another SE'r has seen the light. The Evo is a fantastic car to drive and would compare it to Elise like handling in a 4 door format.

I just cannot believe that so many people go for the Scooby's when in my mind the Evo is so much better to drive.

Cheers
DMW
I would take the Evo over a scooby but from research, it seems people prefer the Scooby as the Evo is apparently more to run, servcing, fuel, insurance etc.

Scotty C
Meat

Post by Scotty C » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:28 pm

Gareth wrote:
douglasgdmw wrote:Scotty,

Cheers
DMW
I would take the Evo over a scooby but from research, it seems people prefer the Scooby as the Evo is apparently more to run, servcing, fuel, insurance etc.
Bit like a VX v Elise. scooby v EVO. There is only one?

Never driven a scooby but never liked the look of them.

Bring on evo X. have a look at mitsubishi-cars.com mmmmmmmmmmmm

Scotty

PS.Hope John Stewart does not read this I will never get back to a SIDC day :D

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Scotty,

Could not agree more. As Sean Connery said "There can be only one".

The servicing is a little bit more expensive but the 4500 service interval seems to put a lot of people off, however it is only an oil change so not as if you are have 2 main services in the 9000 mile window.

I am sure even John would agree that the Evo is a fantastic car - although getting him to admit that it would be better than the Scooby could be a long long debate.

Another great one to ponder from the Sccoby camp is:
http://www.type-25.co.uk/index.asp#1

Cheers
DMW

tadltd

Re: Evo yesterday at KH

Post by tadltd » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Scotty C wrote:
Also there was a special guest there Robbie someone ( I am murder with names) he does the rally commentating on the TV, but is also a ex-driver? he was taking people out for pax laps in a old (EVO 6) rally car with gravel tyres on. What a hoot I would love to be able to swing the back end the wrong way under braking and then swing it round the other way and go round the corner sideway with all 4 wheels spinning. It was fine at the hairpin, but going down duffus sideways and then whipping it the other way was a real thrill great talent.
Was it Robbie Head? I think he's the guy that does the WRC commentating on t'telly... Also ex-rally driver. A wee bit chubby? (not that I can talk!)

The day sounded like excellent fun; I've never experienced an EVO, but they get some excellent reviews.
Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

Scotty C
Meat

Re: Evo yesterday at KH

Post by Scotty C » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:20 pm

A wee bit chubby? (not that I can talk)

he looked like a super model next to me :lol:

calumski

Post by calumski » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:08 pm

Yup indeed... t'waz Robbie Head, right enough. Always a hoot having him at the Mitsubishi KH day.

Top write up Scotty, tho' even an MR360 is dull compared to a white-flame 340R. I just bought a white IX GT today (WTF is that, I hear most folk ask).. just wondering if a nice flaming paint job might liven it up a little :ROFL

Calum :drive

tadltd

Post by tadltd » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:13 am

Well... WTF is it?! :popcorn
Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com