Yet another "puppy pic" thread... NLC

Anything goes in here.....
renmure

Yet another "puppy pic" thread... NLC

Post by renmure » Thu May 24, 2012 11:45 am

Big thanks to Mandy for her help and advice in the background and pointing us in the right direction for getting another German Shepherd Dog. SE at its best :cheers

We have decided to call him Nzo after... well... anyhow... :oops:
Here he is looking cute at 1 day old with Mum and 9 brothers and sisters

A great pic of Dad taken by Mandy

The exciting bit... which one to choose??
We went with the intention of "just looking". Another 20 mins and we might have taken them all :)

Gottcha!!

Puppy Nzo, looking a little bit like Gizmo from Gremlins at 5 weeks.
Interestingly at that size he could sleep in PJ the Great Danes food bowl :shock:

Heading back to Newcastle(ish) to collect him in 2 weeks. Wendy is counting the "sleeps" :blackeye
Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.

scott_e

Re: Yet another "puppy pic" thread... NLC

Post by scott_e » Thu May 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Congratulations to the new member of the family :) , wish they stayed that wee and cute forever. Look like lots of fun Jim.
Last edited by scott_e on Thu May 24, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu May 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Nice one Jim! How many mutts is that you have now? Should keep you entertained!

Is there something wrong with the father's back? Or just pulling on the lead? :lol:
http://www.dsaccountancy.com

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 135'99

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

A quick googling suggests the father has been dis-formed for show purposes;

http://www.asuperiorgsd.com/p2p.html

Shame on the breeders that do that,... IMHO of course :roll:

mac

Post by mac » Thu May 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Dominic wrote:A quick googling suggests the father has been dis-formed for show purposes;

Your brave - I would sleep with a baseball bat for the next few nights after Mandy reads this! :D

What your seeing in the photograph taken by Mandy isn't what your seeing in the photographs contained within the website.

The photo taken by Mandy show a modern GSD driving from the back which is why the rear looks to have dropped down - if you look from shoulder to tail you'll see the line in constant, the ones in the website taken whilst stood don't have this and are very extreme. I've never seen any GSD as with a back as extreme as the ones in the website - not surprised the photos are there - the website owner sounds like they prefer the traditional square shaped dog and are using photo's to make their point.

Modern GSD breeders are generally very aware of potential health issue and dogs are screened for hip and elbow issues. I'm sure the wife will be along soon to bend your ear even more.

It's also worth noting Dom that this particular breeder produces dogs that seem to take a right shine to you - Delko's from this breeder :)
Last edited by mac on Thu May 24, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S2 Elise (cobalt blue with stripes) - toy spec
Caterham 7 - hillclimb spec
Yamaha Thundercat - 2 wheeled toy spec

S111Y TT

Post by S111Y TT » Thu May 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Dominic wrote:A quick googling suggests the father has been dis-formed for show purposes;

Ahhhh why did you let me see that!!!! AHHHHH. :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x

My poor GS's. :cry:

I've seen many but never with any shapes like on that site, it's upsetting to see. The father of Jim's just looks like he is straining the lead a bit, I know how it looks because it's all that Khan does! Ever! Haha.

Beautiful dog Jim. I can't wait for the day that I have my own. Congratulations!
Ian Duncan

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu May 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Bloody ridiculous poses there with the separation between the back legs and the back end almost on the ground.

Just let a good GS stand naturally with one back leg in front of the other and a slight slope, and you have a wonderful sight.

Even better, watch Khan chasing a rabbit in full flight and turn on a sixpence.

tut

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

renmure wrote:Image
fantastically cute Jim :thumbsup
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

Mandy

Post by Mandy » Thu May 24, 2012 9:01 pm

uh uh uh Dominic... you can go off some folk you know :roll: :lol:

The German Shepherd dog comes in 2 types, the correct Germanic type and the British Type. It's down to preference however the Germanic type is correct to both the German Sv approved and UK Kennel Club approved standard. Contrary to belief the Germanic type is not any more liable to get bad hips than the British type GSD. In fact we Germanic Type folk ensure before we breed that all our dogs have a hip score of less than 20 and an elbow score of 0 prior to breeding but there can be many factors which result in bad hips which can not only be the breeding but also the environment and amount of exercise. We have actually been battling with the Kennel Club over the past 2 years to get them to stop registering puppies from parents which have not passed the relevant health tests, however as with any big organisation money is more important, so many back yard breeders will continue to pump out father/daughter, brother/sister etc... mating and often even when not related they don't have the relevant health tests but yes the Kennel Club will continue to register and poor unsuspecting folk will continue to buy.

On my soap box now!!!! see what you have started Dom!
The KC breed standard states

General Appearance
Slightly long in comparison to height; of powerful, well muscled build with weather-resistant coat. Relation between height, length, position and structure of fore and hindquarters (angulation) producing far-reaching, enduring gait. Clear definition of masculinity and femininity essential, and working ability never sacrificed for mere beauty.
The topline runs without any visible break from the set on of the neck, over the well defined withers, falling away slightly in a straight line to the gently sloping croup.

Blue - the father of Wendy & Jim's puppy is a stunning dog in real life, he is pulling on the lead which exaggerates his topeline somewhat but this is the reality of the dog show world. Some dogs pull too hard on the lead and Blue is no exception. You really shouldn't forget that some of the handlers at dog shows are absolutely hopeless, so make what is otherwise a fantastic looking animal, look terrible because as someone said earlier they have the hind legs spread too far apart etc..

It all comes down to preference of type, if you prefer the dippy backed GSD, then go for the British type, however alot of these poor dogs have bad temperaments (by that I mean shy), partially because of how they are treated and partially because they are too closely bred and alot don't have good health test results but if you like a GSD which conforms to the correct standard both in the UK and abroad then look for the more Germanic type where almost all will have health test completed and these will be below the breed average. All of the germanic type are fit for purpose and can gait for 20km with small breaks inbetween, many are also Schutzhund trained (similar to Police dog training) and therefore are sound in temperament and could also actually do the job they were born to do which is herd sheep!

Feel free to have a look at my website where you will see no extreme dogs and certainly none that are stood badly! www.hundarkgsd.co.uk

So... off my soapbox now...

Best of luck Jim and Wendy with your new addition - Linda's dogs are lovely (my own Delko is a Korzwin) and if at any time you need any advice or help just give me a shout.

Mandy
Mandy x

Lotus Elise 1.8 Race Tech 2001 - 118 bhp
Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCI ST 155 BHP - Granite 05 plate.

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Thu May 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Very cute - will be interesting to see how he gets on with PJ (if he's even noticed!) - and once he's grown up, he won't be the biggest dog in the pack either!

Woof Woof
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

vet111s

Post by vet111s » Thu May 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Hahaha @ Mandy!!! This is a discussion I've learned there is no benefit in getting in to! (hope your dogs are well btw Mandy)

Lovely puppy picks renmure

Ali

Mandy

Post by Mandy » Thu May 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Ali - Yeah they are great thanks :-) and your dead right.... the argument goes on and on and on and on lol....

Just about to PM you :-)

Mandy
Mandy x

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm

vet111s wrote: This is a discussion I've learned there is no benefit in getting in to!
I may need to learn that lesson too!

Sorry did not want to start an argument,... was slightly interested and went googling for 5 mins :oops: :roll: .... I am no expert on the matter :leave

Mandy

Post by Mandy » Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 pm

:D :D :D :D :D @ Dominic - You should know better.... I am very passionate about my GSD's :oops:
Mandy x

renmure

Post by renmure » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Puppy Nzo at 7 weeks.
I go to collect him on Thursday. Quite exciting really :)

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Wanted: Train.