Watch lovers?

Anything goes in here.....
IanD

Re: Watch lovers?

Post by IanD » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Could get an air king as long as you pay about £500 over new price (and that is after a £400 Rolex price hike since I agreed I wanted one).

Would buy panerai there but would like to confirm size is appropriate first, nothing available to try for size that I know of in Glasgow.
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 am

I've got an 8500 Planet Ocean which it think measures 42mm but most of the bulk actually comes from the height.

In contrast i've got a 45mm seiko sumo that feels smaller on the wrist than the PO, partially due to the height and also due to the curved lugs.
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

KennyT

Post by KennyT » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:57 am

Have you spoke to Jonathan at Edinburgh Watch Company? https://edinburghwatchcompany.co.uk/

EWC have two Panerai in stock and several Rolex, their Milgauss is most like the Air King you are looking at with its 40mm case and no cyclops.

My friend has a 44mm Panerai and it feels very big to me compared to my 42mm Explorer, similarly my brothers 42mm Planet Ocean feels bulky due to the height as Lazydonkey said.
I've worn a 40mm Daytona for a while which would be most like a an Air King and it feels slight in comparison to the above mentioned.
Exige-S
'84 911 Carrera 3.2
E46 M3

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:14 am

Anyway, can someone confirm the real life using size of Panerai PAM 25, think Mr Boag may have one or a similar model. Says 44mm case didn't think it would be as big as that, things like Omega Planet Ocean are too big and bulky for my wrist.
I have a PAM 025 and its 50ml on your wrist when you take into account the crown protector.
The Panerai has been a great every day watch for 20 years now.........with only one service!!

I would heartily recommend Edinburgh Watch Company after two recent purchases.
Easy to deal with and can procure any Rolex you want............albeit through a European route

:cheers
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

dlogan

Post by dlogan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:45 pm

I was down for a new Airking and got the call last week. I declined and then noticed on Saturday its in the shop window.

If you want it go and buy it at sticker price.

J&C Aberdeen

Cheers

IanD

Post by IanD » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:46 pm

lots of useful responses, cheers guys

Hmm. if I can get the Air King and decided to move it on in 6 months partially worn am I likely to loose much in the buyer / seller difference, prices advertised are mostly above new but they are unworn and not sure what the dealer buy rate is ?

Was thinking a used PAM 0025 was the answer but sounds too big, might wander into Laings and see what is new and equivalent for size in Panerai's, all the latest models I've seen have been really massive.

I've spoke to Jonathan a few times, found out we had been on a Pistonheads years back together, last time I spoke the Europe route had dried up as more expensive than UK due to currency rates and Brexit but i'll contact him and may ask about the selling on difference.

A few thoughts ring true, I debated Explorer 2 then debated Explorer all good size wise and used a Milgauss to decide size worked and it was the Air king i wanted. Considered Seamaster for a while, liked the look of PO but not the size of my wrist, just felt wrong, pondering Speedmaster now although not sure why to be honest. Was really hoping Panerai 44mm wasn't that big but a bit disappointed it doesn't seem to be that way :cry:

As hinted in my Highland run thread my Porsche has used up and is about to exceed (in the next round of maintenance/fix/improvements) my notional watch budget. I think I better get any watch quickly before the next round of costs for it !
White Porsche man
1993 968 ClubSport - see it @https://youtu.be/8PnI0VE1B54
2010 Boxster Spyder

dlogan

Post by dlogan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:26 pm

ian the air king is a lovely watch, I just cant justify after a recent car re-shuffle. i think you would need to be quick as they seem popular. As for buy and sell, I would forget that and just enjoy it for what it is. Its going to hold better than an Omega etc purely as its still seen by lots as an aspirational brand.

Lazydonkey

Post by Lazydonkey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 am

IanD wrote: Considered Seamaster for a while, liked the look of PO but not the size of my wrist, just felt wrong, pondering Speedmaster now although not sure why to be honest.
Everyone likes different things but i bought my PO used on a bit of an extravagant whim and it's easily my favourite watch now, it initially felt pretty huge but I've totally got use to the size. I've got a speedmaster on black leather too and it feels more like an occasion watch rather than a daily wearer.....it's very very slim, almost dainty in comparison to the more modern divers.

Crap pic and it's now on a strap with curved ends but it gives you an idea
i3s, Volvo and more pushbikes than strictly necessary.

....did i ever tell you about the Evora and VX220 i used to own?

GregR

Post by GregR » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:44 am

A word of caution, the new Air King. It's not a dead cert to hold its value like other S/S sports rolex
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

AkselVerg

Post by AkselVerg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:58 am

Watches, watches, watches. So someone can explain one simple thing to me. Why does everyone so want to overpay for showing off :roll: ? Why do people buy a golden Rolex watch? Will they last indefinitely? I doubt it. Do they carry some unimaginably useful and extensive functionality? Also no. That is, I will pay about $ 10,000-15,000 only for the fact that this is a well-known brand. Yes, maybe they are somewhat more reliable than others, but 15,000, Karl (on Ebay i found even 22 000!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Submarine ... SwuMZZGuKo)! So it would be nice if they had some special distinctive appearance! So here they are not the only ones. A few more brands make watches from gold and platinum and inlaid by jewelry. To what I am leading all this - maybe someone to maintain their status and is so important that he is ready to throw out a lot of money for this. But for the common man is more important utility and, to a lesser extent, beauty and status.
I use, for example, a smart Huawei watch (here is a small comparison of analogs(not for promotion, just an example of the review for different brands https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/smart-watches). I can customize the look of their dial as I want, and believe me, they look all 100% and moreover, they can change at my will. About the functional, I generally admire it - there are GPS and calls and music and social networks and many more things. That's what I understand the value for money!
Perhaps you will not agree with me, but my opinion is this.

DDtB
Dodgy Dave the Ba***rd

Post by DDtB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Member for three hours and that's the intro post?! I smell a troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:07 pm

I think Donkey's turning into a troll........

In contrast i've got a 45mm seiko sumo that feels smaller on the wrist than the PO, partially due to the height and also due to the curved lugs.

He has gained height .........and he's got curved lugs!!

:cheers
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:59 am

Hey all,

I'm giving some thought to picking up a second hand Tudor black bay heritage. I wondered if anyone had one and would like to share any thoughts or comments on them? Also be good to know if anyone knows anyone selling one :)

TIA!

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I have (had) a Panerai PAM00104 which I sent to Panerai for a service via a jewellers in Aberdeen.
Long story short, it's lost and will be replaced under the jewellers insurance. Basically, once confirmed tomorrow I'll be getting a new one. I'm allowed anything to the value of my watch so I'm thinking about buying a Submersible 24. I might be tempted to sell unworn if anyone is interested. A discount on new price of course.

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:34 am

Wow they lost it, no damages?
W213 All Terrain