NLC - Extension Planning

Anything goes in here.....
greido

NLC - Extension Planning

Post by greido » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi,

I'm having some difficulty getting a quick answer on a query i have regarding building an extension upto my boundary:
I am planning to build an extension to the rear of my 1930s detached bungalow in Edinburgh, I have read numerous publications on the Edinburgh Council website but I am unclear as to whether I can build upto the boundary.
My interpretation is that I will need planning permission if the extension goes to less than one metre to the boundary; assuming I get an architect to make the appropriate drawings and applications, would there be a reason they the planning application would be denied?  - I already have a garage on the boundary and the extension would be in line with this, effectively extending the boundary wall by around 5 metres.   
The existing boundary has a privet hedge which will be removed to allow for the extension, I have spoken with my adjoining neighbour and he would have no objections to the extension replacing the boundary fence and hedge.

Any thoughts based on professional or personal experience would be really appreciated.
Current Rides: Evora & BMW X5 (F15)
Gone: Elise S3, 350zGT, Boxster S, BMW X5 (E70)

cstrachan

Re: NLC - Extension Planning

Post by cstrachan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Phone the council and ask them. They may send someone to look at what you want to do and give you advise.
2003 Vauxhall VX220 2.2
2013 Astra BiTurbo
2015 Fiesta Ecoboost

greido

Post by greido » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks, I've phoned Edinburgh City Council and their advice was to send them an email, the reply to that was that they'll get back to me in 10 business days...... I was hoping to move a little quicker than that.
Current Rides: Evora & BMW X5 (F15)
Gone: Elise S3, 350zGT, Boxster S, BMW X5 (E70)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Should be ok but will need to be fire retardant which rules out windows.
If you're not living on the edge you're wasting too much space!

cstrachan

Post by cstrachan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:06 pm

greido wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 pm
Thanks, I've phoned Edinburgh City Council and their advice was to send them an email, the reply to that was that they'll get back to me in 10 business days...... I was hoping to move a little quicker than that.
Planning never moves quickly and you are a minnow in the queue unfortunately. You should get the advise you need eventually though and it is better to wait a few weeks to get the correct local advise and not get bad info off a car forum :)
2003 Vauxhall VX220 2.2
2013 Astra BiTurbo
2015 Fiesta Ecoboost

thesurfbus

Post by thesurfbus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 am

I am in Midlothian so not sure if the rules are the same, but we had an architect around a coupe of weeks ago regarding an extension, and he said we should be able to build up to the boundary if we want. Obviously would require planning permission and boundary wall would have to be fire proof.
Planning is about 3 months and building warrant 6 - 12 weeks (he was quoting Edinburgh Council).
Lotus Elise 220 S

whaleys

Post by whaleys » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 am

We had similar queries when we built our extension and we found that there were no real hard a fast rules when it came to the planning sides of things as part of the responsibility of the planning officer is to ensure that the building/extension is in keeping with the surrounding environement. So if your the first in your street to build and extension like that right up to the boundary, even though it's allowed within the rule book it could still be denied. We're not in Midlothian, but things that were discussed/raised was independant access to maintain that side of your property. Planning had strongly suggested that there be a gap large enough between the property and the boundary to allow for maintenance. When we asked how much, the reply was as much as we could allow, which was frustrating. Also if there are any soffits or protrusions they could not hang over the boundary.

My advice would be if you are wanting a fairly smooth process then make an appointment with the local planning officer before you submit your application. Take in your plans and discuss what your proposing with them. We did that and it avoided a back and forth through the planning process (which takes more time) and it all went really smoothly, we incorporated what they advised as it was really useful in the end.

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Great advice there.

In my non-qualified experience
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

les

Post by les » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Yup, good advice, that's what I did when I built the garage in my last house and saved both time and money