Mercedes shooting for the Lotus market?

Anything goes in here.....
Ferg

Mercedes shooting for the Lotus market?

Post by Ferg » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 am

Saw this article

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/mer ... spartanntp

If they are shooting for the Cayman market it'll affect Lotus.

hendeg

Re: Mercedes shooting for the Lotus market?

Post by hendeg » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 pm

It looks not too shabby if it does turn out like that. However, if it's going to be an enthusiasts car then it's going to be interesting to see what they're going to do with the handling. Merc's aren't renowned for that. I can see it taking some share from Porsche but unlikely to impact much on Lotus unless they do something impressive.
Exige GT

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 pm

That's quite pretty. I was expecting yet another Mercedes looking car, but that's completely different to what they make now.

As has been said, it'll more like take sales from (those who buy a) Porsche (for the badge) or existing convertible / sporty looking BMW Z4 / Mercedes / Audi TT-S etc. unless it's actually a proper drivers car.

If it's the latter, I'd welcome it. The more the merrier. I don't think Lotus have much to worry about though, there is very little to compete with them if you want a no holds barred driving machine.
'16 MINI Cooper S - Family fun hatch
'98 Lotus Elise - Fun day car
'07 Fiat Panda 100HP - Daily puddle jumper
'04 Maserati Coupe GT - Manual, v8, Italian...

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Looks like a cross between a TT and an Alpine. - very un-Merc and quite tasty. Lotus really need to get some new machinery out there or they'll miss out in what's becoming a more crowded market
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

rawsco

Post by rawsco » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Utterly not Mercedes but I f they apply a philosophy focused around the driver and handling and forget the “let’s cram 650bhp into a FWD hatch” i think they’ll be onto a winner.

Also assumes they’ll let you actually properly turn off the safety nanny leccytronics and be able to drive the thing on the limit without it taking over.
Rawsco
2021 - Tesla M3LR
2019 - Exige 410

StiflerMR2

Post by StiflerMR2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 am

It actually looks very much like a scaled down Project One to me, so it does share the future design language.

It certainly looks interesting and I like it better than the latest Caymen (which always looks like a 4:3 aspect ratio being displayed on a 16:9 device whenever I see one!)