Is a Caterham just a Lotus with a different badge

Anything goes in here.....
Victor Meldrew
Location: Unable to use location services. Please turn on your wifi....

Post by Victor Meldrew » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:41 am

I know that a few ex Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora owners have owned a Caterham over the years. I was curious as to your experiences regarding whether you still felt accepted as part of the Lotus community?

A Caterham is just a Lotus 7 with a different badge at the end of the day?

currently browsing Piston Heads Classifieds......
Well it moves... might as well make the most of it....

jason

Re: Is a Caterham just a Lotus with a different badge

Post by jason » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Can't say I personally ever felt a 'Lotus owner' when I owned my Caterham. Why? Cos it isn't a Lotus. When I collected our Elise several years later, that was my "I own a Lotus" emotional moment.

...though - for the very obvious reason of them being evolved from the original Lotus 7 S3's DNA - the owners' club is still named the Lotus 7 Club.

For the pedants/detail-obsessed, IIRC, a notable piece of trivia is the last common part to the Lotus and Caterham 7 was the under-dash handbrake - which ceased to be on any new Caterham model a good few years ago.

Ferg

Post by Ferg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:42 pm

One of the reasons I'm such a fan of the marque was growing up with a Super Seven. I still think 'Lotus' when I see a caterham as a result. Its possible to have something very close to the original, but Caterham have forked the DNA into something newer and better which is fine. But that makes them a Caterham, not a lotus, which is ok by me.

campbell

Post by campbell » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Always felt plenty in common with Se7en owners. The rawness, leaks, regular spannering and flakiness. And the early shared heritage / paternity.

Go for it, John. Can't be any harder work than your ageing S1.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Victor Meldrew

Post by Victor Meldrew » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 pm

campbell wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 pm
Always felt plenty in common with Se7en owners. The rawness, leaks, regular spannering and flakiness. And the early shared heritage / paternity.

Go for it, John. Can't be any harder work than your ageing S1.
That is roughly where my head is just now..... Still have a few concerns though... need to see if I can fit in one..

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:56 pm

jason wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46 pm
Can't say I personally ever felt a 'Lotus owner' when I owned my Caterham. Why? Cos it isn't a Lotus. When I collected our Elise several years later, that was my "I own a Lotus" emotional moment.

...though - for the very obvious reason of them being evolved from the original Lotus 7 S3's DNA - the owners' club is still named the Lotus 7 Club.

For the pedants/detail-obsessed, IIRC, a notable piece of trivia is the last common part to the Lotus and Caterham 7 was the under-dash handbrake - which ceased to be on any new Caterham model a good few years ago.
Bang on Jason. The under dash handbrake ended about '95, my first one was a '97 and had it on the tunnel.

Had two Caterhams and still regard myself as never having owned a Lotus.

So, to answer your question, no.

John, if I recall correctly you are about my height and build, so an S3 chassis is a lovely tight fit.

Go for it man!

PS yes I'll have another and yes I look at them all the time :blackeye
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

:cheers

j2 lot

Post by j2 lot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:57 pm

I don’t think a Caterham is a Lotus anymore but don’t let it stop you taking the step - a Lotus has always been a sum of the parts and Caterham took the original 7 and improved it bit by bit until none of the original is there but it’s better for it
2015 Lotus Evora
2020 Skoda Kodiaq Sportline

point n squirt

Post by point n squirt » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Always gave a wave if in the Elise to a caterham they never waved back , crossed paths nearly ten years ago at a certain weekend , most unpleasant bunch of car guys i ever met , very un Lotus actually put me off getting one. No offence to any owners on here obviously the minority.
The Complete Building Solution
www.lindsayjoineryservices.co.uk

Victor Meldrew

Post by Victor Meldrew » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 pm

point n squirt wrote:Always gave a wave if in the Elise to a caterham they never waved back , crossed paths nearly ten years ago at a certain weekend , most unpleasant bunch of car guys i ever met , very un Lotus actually put me off getting one. No offence to any owners on here obviously the minority.
I must admit that I have been around sound of the “other” groups in Scotland and depending on who turns up on the day you could be forgiven for going home with that same impression.

The fist ever road run I did not long after I bought the Elise was with Ross and Thinforth when we joined up with the Seven owners club on their Scottish tour. I was made to feel very welcome.

If I did make the change I doubt very much that it would change in any way the groups I choose to associate with, it was more a question to gauge the opinion of the SE group as to what they felt about Caterhams in general. I want to stick to something light and nimble. Not interested in massive speeds, although a V6 Exige would be nice.

I know they are a few Porsche (fancy beetles) converts in SE also. A Cayman was also being considered but that going even further away from what I am looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 am

Victor Meldrew wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 pm
The first ever road run I did not long after I bought the Elise was with Ross and Thinforth when we joined up with the Seven owners club on their Scottish tour. I was made to feel very welcome.
Why thank you, we did always make an effort :blackeye

Same with any groups - you'll always get nobbers, unfortunately certain brands have a higher percentage :mrgreen:
Ross
---------
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

smoo25

Post by smoo25 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:43 pm

I've always shared a wave or a thumbsup when passing any caterhams. They share our passion for lightweight sh*t that make you smile. But then I'm not in a "proper" Lotus either. But you guys always make me feel welcome. I've had occasional looks at westfields as they have a fat boy variant, and the girlfriend's dad has a V8 one! Even if I went that route I wouldn't think twice about turning up at SE events, you wouldn't get rid of me that easy!
Lego Elise couldn't afford a real one spec - sold
Skoda Octavia Scout work shed spec
VW T25 girlfriend's toy/wish it still worked spec - sold
GR Yaris - hooligan spec

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:54 pm

You could say a Westfield is more akin to an Elise, as it smells like a canoe too.

/ironic :blackeye
Ross
---------
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT