Anyone out there?

Anything goes in here.....
campbell

Re: Anyone out there?

Post by campbell » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Holy member resurrection. Welcome back Comrade Boag. Gail gave your internet license back then.

You fair awakened Sleepy Hollow here. Well done.

I don’t get out much these days but maybe see you around the Parish.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy

Clarkie

Post by Clarkie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:16 pm

What is the world coming to all this BMW and battery/hydrogen chat, even Benny is rolling in a GT4

Maybe one for a separate thread, drivetrain tech is definitely going to change, it’s the transition that’s the difficult part. Ban on ICE cars potentially brought forward to 2032. EU fines for over 95g/km C02 fleet average are huge per car now. Hence the Evijah development at Lotus. Understand manufacturers can share their average so with Geely ownership Lotus can “borrow” some of their C02 averaging from Volvo, maybe...............

Anyway let’s make the best of it while we can, off to book SIDC on the 21st March

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:42 pm

fd wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:43 pm
Hydrogen distribution network is some tanks at 'petrol' stations, the stations already exist, and some trucks to deliver it, which already exist . . . it's a somewhat proven model where all the expensive and difficult to scale parts basically already exist. Compare this to the BEV charging infrastucture gap . . .

Any modern power plant will be a hybrid of some kind, precisely what the energy store is will change over time, supercapacitors are a far better idea than batteries of any type for example.

The cost of dragging a 600Kg battery around to get decent range is daft, especially if the energy producing part of the system can be made smaller and lighter, which it inevitably will be, whether that be a fuel cell or a hydrogen turbine, or, or . . .

The automotive industry is running scared from fleet co2 legislation which could put them out of business, so anything that solves that problem (regardless that it is not scalable or sustainable) will do for them . . . They are not really good at strategy, their cycle length is too short and its all about volume, they would be doing nothing unless legislated to do so . . .

I'm considering moving to a long range tesla 3 shortly but I wouldn't want to own it, it will do everything I need for daily driving. For all the negatives which apply to tesla (and there are a few), they have the most viable charging infrastructure, which is the weak link at the moment. These kinds of cars are disposable white goods to me, I care not a jot about them any more, I just want it to work and be someone elses problem when it doesn't.

Fergus

My cousin has owned two of the top end Tesla vehicles and given up on them

Build quality of interior trim is appalling

Such was his dissatisfaction he has returned to the dark side with a G Class (AMG)

:cheers
Younger member of Team Still Game

99 Lotus Elise 111S.....Heterosexual Spec ...S1
BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Monkey Bike with 125cc conversion
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Mikie711 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:18 pm
Evening Mr Boag, long time no see. Glad to read your in fine spirits.
X

BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:44 pm

Clarkie wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:58 pm
H8OAG wrote:
The new X5 is certainly an acquired taste .........
I now parade about Comrie in a blacked out X5 in a not too subtle mineral white.
The mobile hairdressers appear to be extremely jealous

What you need for the X5 is some storage more in keeping with your preferred pursuitsImageImage

Harsh but fair

BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:44 pm

Jet turbine car. It’s the future.
W213 All Terrain

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:45 pm

campbell wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:02 pm
Holy member resurrection. Welcome back Comrade Boag. Gail gave your internet license back then.

You fair awakened Sleepy Hollow here. Well done.

I don’t get out much these days but maybe see you around the Parish.
Afternoon Campbell
Happy to be of service before I drop back into hibernation mode

BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

fd

Post by fd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:43 pm

H8OAG wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:42 pm
fd wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:43 pm
Hydrogen distribution network is some tanks at 'petrol' stations, the stations already exist, and some trucks to deliver it, which already exist . . . it's a somewhat proven model where all the expensive and difficult to scale parts basically already exist. Compare this to the BEV charging infrastucture gap . . .

Any modern power plant will be a hybrid of some kind, precisely what the energy store is will change over time, supercapacitors are a far better idea than batteries of any type for example.

The cost of dragging a 600Kg battery around to get decent range is daft, especially if the energy producing part of the system can be made smaller and lighter, which it inevitably will be, whether that be a fuel cell or a hydrogen turbine, or, or . . .

The automotive industry is running scared from fleet co2 legislation which could put them out of business, so anything that solves that problem (regardless that it is not scalable or sustainable) will do for them . . . They are not really good at strategy, their cycle length is too short and its all about volume, they would be doing nothing unless legislated to do so . . .

I'm considering moving to a long range tesla 3 shortly but I wouldn't want to own it, it will do everything I need for daily driving. For all the negatives which apply to tesla (and there are a few), they have the most viable charging infrastructure, which is the weak link at the moment. These kinds of cars are disposable white goods to me, I care not a jot about them any more, I just want it to work and be someone elses problem when it doesn't.

Fergus

My cousin has owned two of the top end Tesla vehicles and given up on them

Build quality of interior trim is appalling

Such was his dissatisfaction he has returned to the dark side with a G Class (AMG)

Hmmm, that is the concern . . . coming from a long line of german build quality they don't really impress . . . I have a suspicion that many of the EV's suffer from similar fates as they try to keep the weight down . . . I've certainly seen a model 3 with panel fit that makes it look like it's been pranged . . . with 0 miles on the clock . . . I guess, as ever, you get what you pay for . . . the Audi 300 mile range abant quattro BEV would be well put together, but it's nearly 100K . . . silly money for an estate car . . .

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:05 pm

A man of your considerable means should only drive a Taycan if dabbling in electrickery

BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

shooomer

Post by shooomer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:21 pm

👋

H8OAG

Post by H8OAG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 pm

shooomer wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:21 pm
👋

PaulA ......good to see your alive and kicking

BMW Z4M40i
Range Rover Velar
2022 Spec Mini JCW
BMW R9T Scrambler Sport
Honda 250 Race Quad
Womaniser Liberty

rossybee

Post by rossybee » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 pm

A few cobwebs being dusted off in this thread! :mrgreen:
Ross
---------
1972 Alfaholics Giulia Super
2000 Elise S1 Sport 160
2004 Bentley Conti GT

Now browsing the tech pages :mrgreen:

Clarkie

Post by Clarkie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:28 pm

H8OAG wrote:A man of your considerable means should only drive a Taycan if dabbling in electrickery
£140k and 270 kWh charger required though...................

fd

Post by fd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Lots of false info floating around . . . Pork Taycan battery capacity is ~<90kWh, tesla3 is ~>75kWh so they are not dramatically different, the problem, and back to my original point, is that you can't use it on the supercharger network (which is the only high speed widely distributed network available), where you can practically fast charge it . . . tesla have that side of things understood, it's not just about the (badly made) car, it's the whole system, and that will only become more relevant as the energy storage strategy for the country moves out into plugged in vehicles and houses with local storage as is inevitable.

On BEV's and sustainability : https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 4/1454.pdf

Even the muppet ridden politicos accept that BEV's are not sustainable and that hydrogen must come into play . . . for all the reasons mentioned . . .

Anyway, I still have my starship milage elise, which has appollo moon landing levels of electronics and is better for it . . . ;-) . . . no crappy cost reduced software in that . . . how long will we be able to drive these types of cars into cities (and why would you) . . .

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:07 pm

Glad to hear your S1 is still trucking, Fergus.
http://www.rathmhor.com | Coaching, training, consultancy