Anyone bought a new car recently?

Anything goes in here.....
Sanjøy

Anyone bought a new car recently?

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:07 am

Morning, thought I would stir up some conversation by seeing who has bought a new car of late.

S
W213 All Terrain

ScottJ-PS

Re: Anyone bought a new car recently?

Post by ScottJ-PS » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 am

Been looking at 2nd hand recently and prices look firm to steep.

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 am

ScottJ-PS wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 am
Been looking at 2nd hand recently and prices look firm to steep.
Agree had been looking for a replacement E-class wagon since October and they were being sold before they hit the forecourts. I even looked at one "in the back yard" that had not been prepped and was up on stands as its wheels were getting refurbed. Salesmen were saying they have never been so busy.
W213 All Terrain

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:44 am

Probably not the most exciting vehicle on the planet, but we purchased an Evoque Ember at the end of November.

As per a previous thread, I was wanting an L322 Range Rover, but once Sandra did some investigation into possible issues, it was soon game over once gearbox/suspension problems came up with their associated costs.

Evoque is a approx 4 years old, less than 16k miles, all the bells and whistles (think only option missing is a heated steering wheel) and a LR used car warranty - so it ticked a large number of boxes for Sandra.

Only expenditure so far has been 4 new tyres as Land Rover only counts tyres depth on used cars and not matching tyres (although we knew this prior to purchase)

Lot more civilized that the Defender and feels really strange twirling a dial to go into snow mode as opposed to engaging different ratios manually.

George
Alpine A110S
Mini JCW
Land Rover Defender Puma 90
Land Rover Series 2a softop

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:51 am

douglasgdmw wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:44 am
Probably not the most exciting vehicle on the planet, but we purchased an Evoque Ember at the end of November.

As per a previous thread, I was wanting an L322 Range Rover, but once Sandra did some investigation into possible issues, it was soon game over once gearbox/suspension problems came up with their associated costs.

Evoque is a approx 4 years old, less than 16k miles, all the bells and whistles (think only option missing is a heated steering wheel) and a LR used car warranty - so it ticked a large number of boxes for Sandra.

Only expenditure so far has been 4 new tyres as Land Rover only counts tyres depth on used cars and not matching tyres (although we knew this prior to purchase)

Lot more civilized that the Defender and feels really strange twirling a dial to go into snow mode as opposed to engaging different ratios manually.

George
Winter/All Season or summer tyres?
W213 All Terrain

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 pm

Went for the all season tyres:
Pirelli Scorpion Verde ALL Season 245/45 R20 103V XL, M+S, Land Rover

Got lucky with TyreLeader, specified the cheaper V rating but they gave me the W rating which I think was £15 more expensive per tyre.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:12 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 pm

Got lucky with TyreLeader, specified the cheaper V rating but they gave me the W rating which I think was £15 more expensive per tyre.

Much noise off them on clear roads? Deliberating on a all season or a new set of rims and winters for the wagon.

How much snow were you wading through?!
W213 All Terrain

ed

Post by ed » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:15 pm

Sold the Evora and Motorbike and bought a Mk7 Gti (PP). Awesome car but haven't managed to drive it much. :(
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:26 pm

TTIUWP
W213 All Terrain

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:27 pm

ed wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:15 pm
Sold the Evora and Motorbike and bought a Mk7 Gti (PP). Awesome car but haven't managed to drive it much. :(
Wait, the bike went too?
W213 All Terrain

douglasgdmw

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Sanjøy wrote:
douglasgdmw wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 pm

Much noise off them on clear roads? Deliberating on a all season or a new set of rims and winters for the wagon.

How much snow were you wading through?!
They are definitely noiser than summer tyres but I was used to the Defender so anything is quieter than that Image

They we ok in the snow, good couple of inches and a steep drive and managed to get up no problem - did see the diff working on the 4x4 info screen which was cool.

Did take the Golf out last week, has full winters on, and in the lower temps they felt way better than the all seasons. However car is so much lighter/responsive as well.

Suspect in the higher temps the all seasons would feel way better than winters so its a swings/roundabouts depending how good/bad the weather is in winter.

George

Alpine A110S
Mini JCW

woody

Post by woody » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Bought this a few months ago; 1971 mini 1000. It's very original and still has front drums. It also has KAD suspension arms and brackets, rose petals alloys and advans though.

Stevoraith

Post by Stevoraith » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 pm

Bought myself a 335d Touring a few months back.
Searched for about 3 months before finding this one at a main dealer down south.
The 1-series I had before was a really high spec and it was a difficult task to find a 335 which had most of the toys that the 1er had.

I definitely found that anything with a good spec was sold in a matter of hours and over the 3 months I was looking prices were definitely on the rise.
My local dealer was trying to find one for me in the dealer network and on a couple of occasions she told me about a car coming up at the BMW dealer auction that she was sure would be achievable in my budget.
On both occasions they went for more trade than my retail budget.
One of them popped up for sale at a London dealer for £4K more than my budget.

As for the car itself, I can’t imagine a better all round performance/family car compromise for anywhere near the budget.
Getting around 36mpg which is lower than I expected but still amazing for 310bhp.

Xdrive F30s get a bad rep for the suspension and handling but I think it’s undeserved. Maybe the pre-facelift are worse as they apparently did make significant changes during the facelift but I think for the type of car it is, the ride and handling are a good compromise.
I wouldn’t take it on track but it doesn’t lose composure down the back roads that I drive on, unlike the Volvo V60 that I also test-drove.

Just got myself a set of winter wheels (18s rather than 19s) and the ride is definitely better on the smaller wheels.
They’re full winters (Pirelli Sottozero) but I think I’ll give all-seasons a try on the winter wheels once these are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VX220 2.2 - Gone
BMW 335d Touring F31- Fastest car on the road
MINI Cooper 1.5- More fun than the BMW

Sanjøy

Post by Sanjøy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 pm

W213 All Terrain

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:30 am

That’s actually quite pretty. In an over 50s kinda way